Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2019 Off-Season: Where Did Everyone Go?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2019 Off-Season: Where Did Everyone Go?

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    a new coffee maker is installed
    This is the 20 million dollar investment. Enjoying your posts.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
      This is the 20 million dollar investment. Enjoying your posts.
      Who'd they buy it from? Government contractors?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        Who'd they buy it from? Government contractors?
        Has anyone seen that machine? Is the coffee at least good?

It will probably catch fire next season. Our offense certainly won't.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Noresmen View Post
          DS didn’t build the Canisius program from ground up. The D1 program was in place for a number of years before he arrived. I believe the league they played in was the ECAC West prior to Canisius entering Atlantic Hockey.
          It’s funny to read this after all the statements on this board about our facilities holding the program back. Until Smith’s last two seasons, Canisius was playing their games off-campus at Buffalo State’s D-III rink. As bad as some of the old MAAC and Atlantic Hockey rinks were, I can’t think of anyone at the D-I level playing at another school’s on-campus facility, much less a D-III rink. Canisius is a D-I school so the hockey program was technically D-I, but it wasn’t a D-I program.
          Last edited by rpi82; 03-12-2019, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Today is 13 March 2019. There are 206 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 5 October 2019 for the start of next season.
            Last edited by Ralph Baer; 04-01-2019, 12:41 PM.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              Has anyone seen that machine? Is the coffee at least good?

It will probably catch fire next season. Our offense certainly won't.
              I have. The machine is right by the side entrance of HFH, right by the ladies room and close to where the popcorn machine caught on 🔥
              I didn’t have the coffee. I did get the hot chocolate. It wasn’t bad. Cups are $1 and is self-serve. You put the dollar into the machine and choose either coffee or HC. The brand of coffee is some no-name brand (not exactly Dunkin or Stewart’s).
              And you’re right about the offense.

Edit: just noticed that we have as many posts during the off-season as Harvard has had THE ENTIRE SEASON. We may not be a Top 4 team, but our posters sure are!
              Last edited by RPI fan 4 life; 03-13-2019, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
                I have. The machine is right by the side entrance of HFH, right by the ladies room and close to where the popcorn machine caught on ��
                I didn’t have the coffee. I did get the hot chocolate. It wasn’t bad. Cups are $1 and is self-serve. You put the dollar into the machine and choose either coffee or HC. The brand of coffee is some no-name brand (not exactly Dunkin or Stewart’s).
                And you’re right about the offense.

Edit: just noticed that we have as many posts during the off-season as Harvard has had THE ENTIRE SEASON. We may not be a Top 4 team, but our posters sure are!
                And our posting has been going down over the years as everyone's has. Of the ECAC schools, Cornell and Clarkson have their own boards, so it is hard to compare them to us, but there have always been more posts on RPI threads here than for any other ECAC school. That's even ignoring the Recruit and Alumni threads.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I am away for a couple days and come back to enough posts to fill a Tolstoy novel. At least the fans on this board show the interest i wish was reflected in the attendance at HFH. At least so far RPI has not been implicated in this new scandal monopolizing the media about the elites (Hollywood and corporate) issuing bribes and falsifying test scores to get their beloved kids into the top schools (Stanford, Yale, USC have all been exposed so far).
                  Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    Not to mention, until recently (and still to this day for that matter), they didn't have a rink for their first lien use. First lien had previously gone to a D-III college, Buffalo State. Even now, they have to use the Harborcenter, something built thanks to the generous funding of a man whose name you might recognize in the college hockey scene, Terry Pegula. As for coaching, if all consider that this year, Canisius's second year without Coach Smith, that they finished in dead last, perhaps there's more to Coach Smith that we have yet to see.
                    I find myself agreeing with you more often than previously. Perhaps the electroshock therapy has been affecting me more than I realize. I too think there is more to Coach Smith than we have gotten to see thus far. he seems to have noted and tried to rectify some of the long time fundamental failures we have had on the ice for years. Face offs wins, defensive breakout plays, special team play (perhaps only slightly) seem to be being addressed somewhat. Adjustments during games although still a problem also seem to be a work in progress. There is only so much one can address or fix at any given time with the talent you have and how they coordinate together. But time is passing and there has to be some sort of evaluation soon of just how far we have come and are we moving forward further.
                    When i was younger I was more patient. But advancing age limits how long one is willing to sit by and wait. i am very interested to see how next year unfolds. Any step up is appreciated but a step backwards would not be appreciated and any further collapse would be devastating. We have a bit of a nucleus of some very decent talent but by no means is there anywhere near enough depth to compete for the long season at this level. But a coach needs to work with what he has and get the most success.
                    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                      I find myself agreeing with you more often than previously. Perhaps the electroshock therapy has been affecting me more than I realize. I too think there is more to Coach Smith than we have gotten to see thus far. he seems to have noted and tried to rectify some of the long time fundamental failures we have had on the ice for years. Face offs wins, defensive breakout plays, special team play (perhaps only slightly) seem to be being addressed somewhat. Adjustments during games although still a problem also seem to be a work in progress. There is only so much one can address or fix at any given time with the talent you have and how they coordinate together. But time is passing and there has to be some sort of evaluation soon of just how far we have come and are we moving forward further.
                      When i was younger I was more patient. But advancing age limits how long one is willing to sit by and wait. i am very interested to see how next year unfolds. Any step up is appreciated but a step backwards would not be appreciated and any further collapse would be devastating. We have a bit of a nucleus of some very decent talent but by no means is there anywhere near enough depth to compete for the long season at this level. But a coach needs to work with what he has and get the most success.
                      I am much more optimistic about next year. Smith has the players believing in his system and that is step one. The goalies are set. The defense his young, good and will improve. (See Hallbauer, Johnson, Bear and Ferner). The offense is improved with Zieky.
                      All that said, we will be hard pressed to win more than 15 games without a genuine scorer. Find a sniper and I will really be excited.
                      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                      Benjamin Franklin
                      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                      Gary Player

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        And our posting has been going down over the years as everyone's has. Of the ECAC schools, Cornell and Clarkson have their own boards, so it is hard to compare them to us, but there have always been more posts on RPI threads here than for any other ECAC school. That's even ignoring the Recruit and Alumni threads.
                        And when you kick the bucket our ranking will fall faster than Union’s.
                        Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                          I am much more optimistic about next year. Smith has the players believing in his system and that is step one. The goalies are set. The defense his young, good and will improve. (See Hallbauer, Johnson, Bear and Ferner). The offense is improved with Zieky.
                          All that said, we will be hard pressed to win more than 15 games without a genuine scorer. Find a sniper and I will really be excited.
                          Yup. If we had a Haggerty, Polacek or Murley on the roster I'd be very excited. We used to get one of that type every few years but it's been about 8 years with no major goal scorers in the incoming class (not including those like Jacob Laliberte that proved to be a bit of a goal scoring mirage). Based on the second half of the season Gunnarwolfe Fontaine appears to be our next hope but it appears that he's still another year out. Then again, most of Seth's biggest successes came from taking kids "early" (IIRC Polacek, D'Amigo, Pirri and Haggerty were all 18 when they enrolled), so is there a chance to switch paths and bring him in now? My guess is that even if they wanted to do so, money might be short with so few leaving and a number of older recruits already committed to enrolling this fall.

P.S. I see that FD08 soundly beat me to the punch (enough so that I didn't even see his post) in commenting about the facilities support for Canisius hockey during Smith's tenure. It can't be a matter of like minds............
                          Last edited by rpi82; 03-13-2019, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                            Maybe it's just me, but a sniper, at least in this transition, would actually seem counter-productive. Yes, I understand one-timers is a fundamental. However, let's also remember that we are in the middle of a culture change, and one of the old cultures was, "X takes the shot," where X was usually either on the point or on the PP umbrella. The defence was ready for it, and almost always had a blocking forward. All you had to do was figure out who it was that year, and you were set. Perhaps in the future we'll be able to use it effectively and sort of "mix up" the weapons we have, but until that time, let's impress that there's more ways to win than to snipe from the point and hope to hell you hit the net, which we had a lot of trouble doing this year.

One thing I did like is that we had a number of goals on the rebound. The centre crashing the net really did help, and you knew something good was going to happen when he went in front of the net. Sure, we had a couple wave-offs on crease violations, and sometimes the goalie will just swallow up the puck. One of those is going to happen, and obviously the other you can do something about.

I'd say the next thing we work on is movement. We were giving the defence all day to set up, and is probably why we had so few goals. Cross that bridge, and we're going to see a lot of good improvement next year.

Comment

Owen Savory is one of 3 finalists for ECAC RoTY https://www.ecachockey.com/men/2018-...Year_Finalists.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                Owen Savory is one of 3 finalists for ECAC RoTY https://www.ecachockey.com/men/2018-...Year_Finalists.
                                Nice that he's being recognized. Hopefully he can keep it up.
                                RPI Pep Band
                                GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                                🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                                2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                                2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Working...
                                X