Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMD ‘Dogs 2019-2020: Fish Fry at Amsoil Arena Will Make UMD A Perennial Powerhouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UMD ‘Dogs 2019-2020: Fish Fry at Amsoil Arena Will Make UMD A Perennial Powerhous

Originally posted by section16rowA View Post
    The Fawks were runners up in 2005 and then recorded a three peat of fourth place finishes, 2006-2008,
    That's weird. I was at each of those Frozen Fours and I don't recall a single third place game.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Re: UMD ‘Dogs 2019-2020: Fish Fry at Amsoil Arena Will Make UMD A Perennial Powerhous

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      That's weird. I was at each of those Frozen Fours and I don't recall a single third place game.
      Probably blacked it out.
      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by dogs2012 View Post
        I'm not trying to bash on you, but that sounds like a Minnesota sports fan if I've ever heard one. 1 team out of all of them wins the entire thing. If you can't enjoy winning things like an AL Central title, you probably shouldn't be watching sports. I don't know how you'll enjoy anything sans the very select few years your team wins it. You gotta enjoy the ride otherwise you're wasting your time.

I want that regular season title, and I'm sure Sandelin does too. It's almost a more indicative award of greatness than winning the National Championship. To win the championship, you have to be one of 16 teams and then get hot at the right time. To win the regular season title, you have to be a solid team for the entirety of the season.

I'm not saying the National Championships aren't nice, they are. But if the regular season doesn't matter, why do we even play it? Just have one big tournament to determine a champion.
        The Penrose Cup represents arguably the best regular season trophy that exists in college hockey. It proves that you played well for 5 months against the best competition in the country, does it not? I'm not gonna say its better than winning the NCAA championship, but you could argue that its harder to do. Its kinda what made St Cloud's conference record of 19-2-3 last season so impressive (and yet, pathetic, after that too).

Comment

You are correct....no third place games. College Hockey inc. website lists third and fourth place finishers at Frozen Four, but not sure how they came up with that....

FWIW, for last year they listed Denver for third place and Providence for fourth place.

Also, another Frozen Four tidbit...the NCAA expanded tourney to 16 teams in 2003.
          tUMD season ticket holder since 1983-84.

Comment

A fresh reminder how lucky we’ve been in the Minnesota sports island. I seriously think UMD has already won more titles in my lifetime than all the other MN mens pro teams combined will by the time I die.
            I wanna go fast!

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
              A fresh reminder how lucky we’ve been in the Minnesota sports island. I seriously think UMD has already won more titles in my lifetime than all the other MN mens pro teams combined will by the time I die.
              There's a really good chance of that. Just makes you appreciate how lucky we are...while I am down about the Twins that will go away this weekend when we see that 3rd banner get raised.
              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Banner raising this weekend, wish I was heading up for the games. Like what's been said, we're very fortunate to have UMD to cheer for. They're the only MN sports team that doesn't seem to consistently let me down.
                "In heaven there is no beer. NO BEER! That's why we drink it here. RIGHT HERE!"

Comment

How do we feel about this upcoming weekend against Wisconsin? I've heard a lot about their young talent and incoming class. I think this will be a good early litmus test with some solid Pairwise implications. Thoughts?

Comment

How do we feel about this upcoming weekend against Wisconsin? I've heard a lot about their young talent and incoming class. I think this will be a good early litmus test with some solid Pairwise implications. Thoughts?
                    I’m just looking forward to UMD getting exposed to a different style of hockey. Going to be a challenge to try to stop Caufield, Turcotte and their stud defensemen.

While I don’t like watching Bemidji State, I always thought it was good for UMD to play them because of the style they play where you will likely get beat if you aren’t willing to play your tail off.

Good for a team to learn how to beat different types of teams.

Comment

Horrible weekend. I know Wisconsin is strong but a sweep is pretty unacceptable. Idk if polls are out yet but I hope this drops UMD out of at least the top 10 if not entirely. They need to earn a ranking not get PSU’d in.
                      Kind of feels like a 2005esque letdown season in the making.
                      The “but they started 2016-17 1-3” excuse is weak since that was an entirely less experienced and younger team. Way too much experience on this team to be starting out the season so poorly. I know we always start slow but we are letting the conference down as our 1-3 OOC play could result in poor conference power rankings and be the difference between 3 and 4 teams making the tournament.
                      Also tired of fans blaming penalties. A championship team will win no matter what conference the refs are from.
                      Glad i was too busy with a wedding to catch any of the action but on sunday I was dreading checking the results, and even more sour the only clothes I had to wear to sunday brunch aside from a wedding suit was Bulldog gear. Was hoping for better circumstances

/rant
                      I wanna go fast!

Comment

Horrible weekend. I know Wisconsin is strong but a sweep is pretty unacceptable. Idk if polls are out yet but I hope this drops UMD out of at least the top 10 if not entirely. They need to earn a ranking not get PSU’d in.
                        The “but they started 2016-17 1-3” excuse is weak since that was an entirely less experienced and younger team. Way too much experience on this team to be starting out the season so poorly. I know we always start slow but we are letting the conference down as our 1-3 OOC play could result in poor conference power rankings and be the difference between 3 and 4 teams making the tournament.
                        Also tired of fans blaming penalties. A championship team will win no matter what conference the refs are from.
                        Glad i was too busy with a wedding to catch any of the action but on sunday I was dreading checking the results, and even more sour the only clothes I had to wear to sunday brunch aside from a wedding suit was Bulldog gear. Was hoping for better circumstances

/rant
                        Very disappointing weekend. However it is one weekend and a split at home against UML is not too surprising. I figured they could split in Wisconsin but they just can't score enough right now. We knew that scoring would be a problem but maybe not to this extent. Of course we all worry about having a 2005 team again but Sandelin is a much more experienced and better coach now. I have confidence in him and the coaching staff to right the ship.

Now the question is the team not scoring because they think it will come to them too easily? OR are we making too much of two road games against a much improved Wisconsin team. They look like an NCAA team to me.
                        tUMD Hockey

Comment

/rant
                          I feel like I may be the only Bulldog fan that didn't feel this way. It sounds like you may have not watched the games. Wisconsin is probably going to be the best team we play all year. I would not be at all surprised to see them hoist another UW championship with the sheer talent they have on that roster. They've got multiple kids who could probably be playing NHL hockey right now.

Yeah, it sucked losing those two games. But we won't see an opponent that matches up that well against us the rest of the season. A lot of teams are going to get swept by Madison this year. My only hope is that we can beat them out with coaching come playoff time.

Comment

I feel like I may be the only Bulldog fan that didn't feel this way. It sounds like you may have not watched the games. Wisconsin is probably going to be the best team we play all year. I would not be at all surprised to see them hoist another UW championship with the sheer talent they have on that roster. They've got multiple kids who could probably be playing NHL hockey right now.

Yeah, it sucked losing those two games. But we won't see an opponent that matches up that well against us the rest of the season. A lot of teams are going to get swept by Madison this year. My only hope is that we can beat them out with coaching come playoff time.
                            A bit early to say you will never see a team with that kind of talent. It’s not even November yet. Could be an early wake up call for your boys.
                            Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by icehawk View Post
                              A bit early to say you will never see a team with that kind of talent. It’s not even November yet. Could be an early wake up call for your boys.
                              BC is the only team on paper that has the talent Wisconsin does. We don't play BC this year. There may be teams that are better coached in the NCHC (see Denver) that could very well give us more fits than Wisconsin did. But Denver doesn't have the talent Wisconsin does. Their entire first line is 1st round, star talent.

I'm hoping it will be a wake up call. And I know Sandelin's teams get better as the season goes along. I'm just not as hurt by the results this weekend as some others are. I wasn't shocked by it, knowing what I knew about the incoming class for UW. They were about what I expected them to be. Unfortunately, I expected them to be really good.

Comment

I knew they had talent that’s nothing new. Wisconsin has been investing more into their program than any other teamI know as of recently (I think they were the ones who championed the idea of a B1G hockey conference so there may have been pressures to produce results or lose donations).

A young talented team like Wisconsin is hard for UMD to play so early. Granato has had ample time in their off season to study UMD’s play in the playoffs, we have a team very similar to last years whereas Sandelin has had no opportunity to develop a game plan vs Wisconsin.

I have no doubt Wisconsin will make the tourney after this weekend’s results. They may struggle with inconsistency throughout the season though. And BU had a very talented team that never amounted to much.
                                I wanna go fast!

Comment

Working...
                                X