X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 8: Bezos Takes Over the World

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    I have even more reason to not like rich people after today.
    The right doesn't have that problem. It doesn't see the poor, Russians or North Koreans as the enemy. If you listen to any conservative pundit, liberals are pretty much the only relevant enemy.

OTOH that's why the more numerous liberals can't get their act together. Dividing blame and dividing loyalties. I'm hoping that doesn't hammer us again next election.
    Last edited by 5mn_Major; 12-24-2018, 07:07 AM.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
      Hey, be nice to mookie.
      mookie will be at the royal opera house for Carmen in his formal wear tonight.... because every time he gets an excuse to wear it, he does
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        Watch it for those of you who still file your own taxes: the 1040 has changed quite a bit.
        Thanks, Donnie.

Comment

This should be mandatory.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...502990041.html
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Good.

I hope they're also being taught how expensive home ownership really is, and why bigger isn't better on that front.

Comment

When my siblings and I reached 7th grade, we got our own checking account and a monthly allowance to cover all of our expenses, including clothing, entertainment, dining out, etc. They kept the house stocked with groceries, so we could either make our own lunch or spend our own money to buy lunch at school. They paid for big things like summer camps and school trips, but otherwise, we were on our own. If we felt that we needed more money, we had to put together a case using our actual expenditures to show why the allowance didn't cover our expenses. Great education.
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Time to put Sears out of its misery??

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/b...503621881.html
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Time to put Sears out of its misery??

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/b...503621881.html
                  From that list, the Sears closest to me will be shuttered shortly - the MoA location. It's not like I go in there very often, but have had good luck with Craftsman hand tools over the years. Oh well.

That said, the company will fold, sooner or later. Or they'll completely rebrand their remaining stores, both the Sears and K-mart lines, into something completely different and see what happens then. Regardless, most malls are have been happy to have Sears leave lately. They'd rather find something else to either be one of the anchor stores, or divide up the space into more profitable smaller shops.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    From that list, the Sears closest to me will be shuttered shortly - the MoA location. It's not like I go in there very often, but have had good luck with Craftsman hand tools over the years. Oh well.
                    Your local Ace Hardware and Lowes are now also certified Craftsman re-sellers. Or, now sellers I guess.

I can absolutely see why Sears is tanking. I went into one of the few remaining ones near me a week before Thanksgiving. Was there to pick up a couple Christmas gifts, looks at some of the tools, see what was on sale to maybe make an impulse buy, and scout out snowblower prices because they had some Briggs and Stratton powered machines.

I was ignored by three high school aged employees that were too busy playing on their phone to take care of me or the other couple customers in the store, was told by the fourth employee on the floor (also the store manager) that the floor models for snow-throwers were all they had at the moment and couldn't sell me any, no one could find the keys to unlock the shelf where the saws-all blades were kept (of which the HS kids never looked up from their phones when the manager yelled at them).

I gave up and went to Home Depot and got what I needed for Christmas presents and a new snowblower. I was in and out in a half an hour.

Sears can die in a fire.
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Re: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 8: Bezos Takes Over the World

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      I believe Stanley owns Craftsman now. I would imagine you can now purchase them wherever you can get Stanley tools?
                      My wife and I were looking for a new refrigerator for our lake place and went to the MOA Sears. Literally walked/stood/waited around for 15-20 minutes for someone....anyone... to help. It was a ghost town. They had a couple that would have fit our small space, too. We tried and ended up getting one at BB.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                      And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                      Twenty red lights in his honor
                      Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

I have some additional knowledge of Sears/Kmart. Its problems were enormous, but power broker Lampert sought to dismantle that company from the first day he acquired its assets. Don't know how it turned out but I know that as of the first 10 years he owned the company...he set foot at its Chicago HQ exactly one time.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

Dow tumbling again. Who knew Chinese tariffs would cost money?

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                            Government is like fire: Good servant; bad master.
                            Precisely like capital.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 01-04-2019, 08:45 AM.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              mookie will be at the royal opera house for Carmen in his formal wear tonight.... because every time he gets an excuse to wear it, he does
                              How was it? This guy had mixed feelings.

I am very jealous.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                How was it? This guy had mixed feelings.

I am very jealous.
                                Loved it
                                The stairs were a surprise.
                                They also employed a six person dance team (3m3f) who were outstanding.
                                They made sure nobody missed the shrug at the end. Single spotlight on anotherwise empty stage. Mookie laughed out loud with some others.

June trip planned to Prague Vienna and Budapest to see what those companies have to offer if you’ll be in the neighborhood
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X