Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Season?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
    i believe that he also played professional baseball for a short while.
    Yup; one game in 1949, 65 in 1951. What position(s) and for what teams?

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      Yup; one game in 1949, 65 in 1951. What position(s) and for what teams?
      1st base but I would have to cheat to be correct. Was one of them the Dodgers, Brookland?

Comment

i believe that he also played professional baseball for a short while.
        Yup.

To answer Snives question, he played first base for the Cubs and the Brooklyn Dodgers.
        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

1st base but I would have to cheat to be correct. Was one of them the Dodgers, Brookland?
          Yup, one game with Brookland (aka Brooklyn) in 1949, and 65 games with the Cubbies in 1951.

Name another Celtics player and the number of games and/or seasons that he logged for whom in MLB?

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            Yup, one game with Brookland (aka Brooklyn) in 1949, and 65 games with the Cubbies in 1951.

Name another Celtics player and the number of games and/or seasons that he logged for whom in MLB?
            Danny Ainge played for the Blue Jays(1979-1981).

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
              Danny Ainge played for the Blue Jays(1979-1981).
              Yup. Career BA 0.220 and OPS 0.533, which would be significant upgrades over some current players on the Sox.

But, back to UNH alums on the ice again tonight with their "team of destiny." :-)

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Name That Goalie (video quiz - brought to you by the WIS Subcommittee for Athleticism in Goalies):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egfKEpSLZak

(1) Ben Bishop
                (2) Roberto Luongo
                (3) Tuukka Rask
                (4) Frederik Andersen
                (5) Jake Oettinger
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                  I'm hoping you're right, but if they don't get Pastrnak "straightened out" they're not going anywhere. It is at the point now where it's not only affecting him but everyone, because they have put him on three different lines to try to work out his problems.

Why do I get the feeling that he reinjured that hand? He can't hold the puck (not to mention he is very inaccurate when he DOES shoot or try to make a play)...you can breathe on him and he loses it. It won't stay on his stick (or as they say in hockey lingo, he's not "strong on the puck"). Obviously they are not going to admit anything at this point, but you don't go from being one of the most highly skilled players in the league the past two years to nothing for no reason...
                  Pastrnak is trash this series. More infuriating than anything is that he was likely WASTED and hurt it in a g**** parking garage and not even in a game or practice. Total nonsense.

I sure hope he doesn't have a drinking problem....
                  Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                    Pastrnak is trash this series. More infuriating than anything is that he was likely WASTED and hurt it in a g**** parking garage and not even in a game or practice. Total nonsense.

I sure hope he doesn't have a drinking problem....
                    Somewhere down in the Dallas Metroplex, Tyler Seguin is

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      Somewhere down in the Dallas Metroplex, Tyler Seguin is
                      Depends on what your definition of IS, is!!

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                        Yup. Career BA 0.220 and OPS 0.533, which would be significant upgrades over some current players on the Sox.

But, back to UNH alums on the ice again tonight with their "team of destiny." :-)
                        Nice segment about Warren Foegel before game tonight.

Comment

• Originally posted by msprice View Post
                          Nice segment about Warren Foegel before game tonight.
                          Good getting this thread back on track, msprice. :-)

Comment

"UNH South" up 3 games to zip.

Comment

It's fun watching guys like Pesce and Foegele playing honest-to-goodness prominent roles in their team's success, and not just as spare parts guys. And with all due respect to TvR, that's what he was when he won in Chicago, and he wasn't nearly the factor in Carolina's back six rotation before his injury.

The Foegele thing is mind-blowing, though. A least on the level of how two separate "organizations" came to different decisions on two highly touted forwards who entered UNH in the same class. Foegele was younger by two years, so I suppose that might have been the determining factor for a guy like Umile, who had traditionally put a premium on the value of older players, sometimes at the expense of younger (arguably better?) players? Both left UNH in their soph seasons, under much different circumstances, with the older Poturalski getting a two year head start with Charlotte, and Foegele going to play in the OHL.

That Foegele pulled even in his first (only) season in the AHL, and has now established himself as a key contributor in the NHL playoffs, while Poturalski is still wallowing in the AHL, hardly makes the argument in favor of the quality of coaching on display in the latter years of the Umile Era.

It feels a little disingenuous to take "credit" for Foegele's success since he barely made a ripple at UNH while he was here, though. Not his fault - but certainly a case of "we hardly knew ye, Warren" …

Comment

Chuck

TVR was not a spare part but integral to success for Carolina. You may have watched the games, but we probably saw it through different lenses before he got hurt. He was terrific in moving and clearing the puck for the first series and until hurt in second series.

You are correct that Foegele was going to be a great player and UNH probably had little to do with his pro career. It took him a little longer than expected but he is now a legit future star in the NHL. I believe he is 23 and Pesce is the real deal and is among the best ever coming from UNH. He is among the best defensemen in the NHL.

Poturalski will eventually make it to the NHL as a top 6 forward. I am surprised that they did not call him up just to be on the power play, as he is a great skater and has a great shot. He played on the 4th line full strength last year and on first power play. He played in the top 6 this year and I do not believe they are giving up on him. While watching him play in CT vs Rangers AHL team, he was the best skater on the ice especially on power plays. As you say, he may be on another team next season but I honestly think he will be in the NHL soon. Poturalski had leg problems in his late teens early 20's and that is why he came to UNH older than expected. He had 60+ pts in USHL on a decent team.

Thanks for the hockey chat Chuck

Comment

Working...
                                X