Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me if it happens. Would take UMD over them as an affiliate 1000x.
    UMD is actually more in line with the definition of a Big Ten school than ASU is. There are only a handful of schools in college hockey that would qualify outside of the Ivies.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      UMD is actually more in line with the definition of a Big Ten school than ASU is. There are only a handful of schools in college hockey that would qualify outside of the Ivies.
      That's why I threw out UMD instead of the other obvious teams we'd want to have: UND, SCSU, Kato, DU, and so on. They make the most sense, and they also happen to be the best program of the last five and depending on this season ten years.

A four team "West Division" of the U, uw, UMD, and Notre Dame would be a big improvement over when the Big Ten was six teams and none of us cared about anyone besides uw.

Comment

Originally posted by directmagna View Post
        Excited for tonight! Do we know if ASU will be invited to join the B1G?
        Really impressive to see div1 hockey doing well out west! We have a great game - it's pretty neat to see div1 hockey growing!
        The NCHC and WCHA both passed on ASU...for now. The proximity of teams like CC and Denver makes membership in the NCHC the most attractive economic option for ASU. IIRC the NCHC left the door open for future talks. My guess is the B1G won't allow ASU in as an affiliate for academic reasons.

The "Gretzky Effect" and the Kings winning two Stanley Cups in three years, had a tremendous influence on youth hockey expansion out west. The talent level out west on some teams is pretty high quality. ASU could hold out as an independent until a D1 PAC-12 conference forms with teams like UNLV, Stanford, USC, UCLA, University of Oregon, University of Washington, etc. who all have club teams, a couple of which I played against (Stanford and UNLV) back in the day.
        Last edited by SteveO; 03-01-2019, 12:50 PM.

Comment

ASWho?
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveO View Post
            The NCHC and WCHA both passed on ASU...for now. The proximity of teams like CC and Denver makes membership in the NCHC the most attractive economic option for ASU. IIRC the NCHC left the door open for future talks. My guess is the B1G won't allow ASU in as an affiliate for academic reasons.
            I’d take ASU and Mankato in a heartbeat. Throw in Bemidji and Air Force, send Miami and WMU back WCHA and call it a day. I think it’s the jerseys: I could get used to watching the ASU grays

Is it because we have the Blue Heron taking geological core samples from Lake Superior so we’re a research university? Never quite understood that definition
            I wanna go fast!

Comment

If that bunch of goons is their team, **** ‘em. Two kneeing penalties in a game? And ten penalties? They took most of their penalties late in the third down by three or more.

What a bunch of goons.
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Johnny Walker must be really good cuz without him they looked dreadful.

Comment

Maybe the Sun Devils are better in a warmer climate, cuz they looked like the worst team the Gophers faced all season. They definitely played like devils though, racking up 7 penalties in one stretch of the 3rd averaging a penalty every 2 minutes. ASU looked like a very undisciplined, dysfunctional team. Kneeing penalties? That's a coaches nightmare. Despite laying an egg in Mariucci, they still had the good fortune of going up, not down in the PWR.

I lost track, but clearly the Gophers had the most scoring opportunities of the season tonight. Nice to see the top line back on the scoresheet after shooting blanks for a couple games. I hope the Gophers sweep these goons and send them back regretting their airfare.

Comment

If that bunch of goons is their team, **** ‘em. Two kneeing penalties in a game? And ten penalties? They took most of their penalties late in the third down by three or more.

What a bunch of goons.
                    agree - I can't remember a game with a kneeing penalty -- they were desperate tonight - many times Gophs burned into their zone past their D and they were just grasping --

WFP were saying they just weren't up to playing in Div1 officiating -- used to bush league style of play -- fairness in savagery, I do personally prefer goonish/physical/nhl style play --

I am a bit disappointed that our team has become a bit effeminate - they know how to milk a hard hit and sell a penalty --

Still - all things considered, if the Gophs can play another complete game like this tomorrow night for Seniors night we'll be heading into the B1G playoffs on a nice streak!

Comment

agree - I can't remember a game with a kneeing penalty -- they were desperate tonight - many times Gophs burned into their zone past their D and they were just grasping --

WFP were saying they just weren't up to playing in Div1 officiating -- used to bush league style of play -- fairness in savagery, I do personally prefer goonish/physical/nhl style play --

I am a bit disappointed that our team has become a bit effeminate - they know how to milk a hard hit and sell a penalty --

Still - all things considered, if the Gophs can play another complete game like this tomorrow night for Seniors night we'll be heading into the B1G playoffs on a nice streak!
                      What in the actual ****?
                      Code:

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                        Johnny Walker must be really good cuz without him they looked dreadful.
                        After reading all the hype I was expecting so much more from the former club team. Unreal that they only mustered 15 shots the whole game on Robson. That has to be a season low, by far, as that's about what the Gophers have typically given up per period.

I'm trying to reconcile what it all means. I thought the Gophers played a great game overall, but how much of that can be attributed to a relatively weak opponent? Before drawing any conclusions I'll have to wait for what we see in tomorrow night's rematch. But until then I'm very much liking what I'm seeing of the Gophers lately and in this game tonight. My only question is, what the he!! took them so long to play up to their considerable talent level? Knowing what lies ahead I have the distinct feeling that it's a case of "too little, too late" for the current season.
                        Last edited by D2D; 03-01-2019, 11:45 PM.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

There's a big difference between physical and goon hockey. Effeminate? I can't recall seeing any Gopher players selling a penalty. Which ones??

Comment

ASU was upset? And Saturday is now a "grudge match"?

https://thesundevils.com/news/2019/3...minnesota.aspx
                            "No matter where you go, there you are"

Comment

It was an upset.

This was the first time ASU played on the big ice, according to radio, and they thought that made a huge difference.

They did goon it up, but don't know if that's a regular occurrence with ASU or not. Either way, pathetic on their part last night.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                                It was an upset.

This was the first time ASU played on the big ice, according to radio, and they thought that made a huge difference.

They did goon it up, but don't know if that's a regular occurrence with ASU or not. Either way, pathetic on their part last night.
                                3rd in the nation in penalty minutes this year, 2nd last year, 5th in 2016-17. I don’t think it’s unfair to start attaching the “g word” to this program.

Comment

Working...
                                X