This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    If you assume that three teams from Hockey East make the NCAA tournament and UMA is the only one nailed on to take a spot than Maine should be in the mix. Obviously Red’s track record isn’t great, but talent wise there is no reason they shouldn’t be in contention.
    The biggest question mark for me is their center depth, especially after losing Pearson. I think they look solid on the wings, a 1-2-3 of Fossier-Schmitty-Smith on the left and Tralmaks-Dawe-Shea on the right is pretty solid if you ask me. Im interested if they will try to put a freshman like Breen between Fossier and Tralmaks and try and develop some chemistry, or will they just bump Dohrety to the first line. The D is also interesting, only 2 of the top 6 from last year return, but they were both pretty solid. Greenway should be a big add, and if VMT returns from injury, it will be more about how they gel and how the freshman do at the bottom of the lineup. Same story mostly if you ask me, they have the ability to be pretty darn good but its a matter of if they will be
    They might be slightly worse, though, losing Keeper and especially Pearson early hurts.

Comment

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

Originally posted by AMC View Post
      What are the odds that Maine's PWR matters in any regard next year?
      slim to none. Has it mattered since Red became coach?
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
        The biggest question mark for me is their center depth, especially after losing Pearson. I think they look solid on the wings, a 1-2-3 of Fossier-Schmitty-Smith on the left and Tralmaks-Dawe-Shea on the right is pretty solid if you ask me. Im interested if they will try to put a freshman like Breen between Fossier and Tralmaks and try and develop some chemistry, or will they just bump Dohrety to the first line. The D is also interesting, only 2 of the top 6 from last year return, but they were both pretty solid. Greenway should be a big add, and if VMT returns from injury, it will be more about how they gel and how the freshman do at the bottom of the lineup. Same story mostly if you ask me, they have the ability to be pretty darn good but its a matter of if they will be
        They might be slightly worse, though, losing Keeper and especially Pearson early hurts.
        Breen was in Fargo’s camp. So looks like he isn’t coming in this fall after all. He, like Roy, signed an LOI. So this is odd.

Gould and Poissant were also in Fargo’s camp.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
          What are the odds that Maine's PWR matters in any regard next year?
          Yeah, there's that, but even scheduling a UAA series is dicey. Assuming that UAA is going to be as bad as they were last year, failing to sweep them will result in an RPI hit that probably won't be recouped in any fashion next season.
          Last edited by Fishman'81; 07-18-2019, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
            slim to none. Has it mattered since Red became coach?
            You have a point, to say the least.

Red's teams have almost exactly mediocre year-in and year-out.

And next season looks to be somewhat worse.

(Still going to Upper Bumf..., I mean Canton NY to see them at St. Lawrence. That's a great old barn.)

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
              Breen was in Fargo’s camp. So looks like he isn’t coming in this fall after all. He, like Roy, signed an LOI. So this is odd.

Gould and Poissant were also in Fargo’s camp.
              Breen and Poissant are both likely not coming this fall? Then what the heck is the plan? That's makes me more concerned if true, the forward group could be troubled.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

(Still going to Upper Bumf..., I mean Canton NY to see them at St. Lawrence. That's a great old barn.)
                I might make the trip for the Friday game. That has to be one of the most desolate places in the US.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                  I might make the trip for the Friday game. That has to be one of the most desolate places in the US.
                  It's certainly out of the way (especially from ME or Eastern MA), but the river itself is beautiful, and Appleton reminds me of the original Alfond- an all wood interior. it's really a great place to see a game. There are good restaurants around, ferries to Canada, boat tours, and places to stay right on the St. Lawrence that are very affordable and perfectly decent.

It's been a really fun experience for us over the years, both at SLU and Clarkson... (Well, not so much watching Maine get thumped at SLU during Red's opening series in Canton, but we don't expect much from his program anymore. We could both grasp that he was the wrong Skipper even after his first 2 games, even when he still had Timmy-talent to work with... )

Yet we'll go anyway, but our expectations are very low, as has been the case for 6 years.
                  Last edited by Fishman'81; 07-18-2019, 09:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                    Breen and Poissant are both likely not coming this fall? Then what the heck is the plan? That's makes me more concerned if true, the forward group could be troubled.
                    At this point it makes no sense. Lost faith a long time ago in Gendron. Looks like good recruits are too.

Comment

At this point it makes no sense. Lost faith a long time ago in Gendron. Looks like good recruits are too.
                      He favors size and lack of stick skills. Penalties over the speedy killers. Penchants for taking rather than discipline.

It is what it is until he is gone.... then they can get someone young with fire in the belly....

Comment

Im thinking this will be Reds last year behind the bench.
                        Dont see a winning record this year and will be battling to at best get into HE playoffs and not finish in bottom level. It just might be enough for Ken to shake it up.
                        Sticking with that anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

That old barn is getting some renovations this summer, as is Cheel at the other side of Upper Bumf.. er Potsdam.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                            Im thinking this will be Reds last year behind the bench.
                            Dont see a winning record this year and will be battling to at best get into HE playoffs and not finish in bottom level. It just might be enough for Ken to shake it up.
                            Sticking with that anyway.
                            Based on current form that’s a good prediction. Red has actually done a decent job as far as bringing in goalies and dmen, but has missed on way too many forwards. I’ll be pretty disappointed if Breen doesn’t come in and to be brutally honest Maine can’t afford another poor forward class after last year’s. There are two or three who I don’t even understand why they are on the roster.
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              That old barn is getting some renovations this summer, as is Cheel at the other side of Upper Bumf.. er Potsdam.
                              Well I hope they don't change the character of the place. I love it there.

One of my favorite hockey weekends ever was following Maine to Cheel and Appleton on consecutive nights long ago. I wish that they'd try to schedule that trip again, but what's the point of anyone scheduling Maine anymore?
                              Last edited by Fishman'81; 07-19-2019, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                                Based on current form that’s a good prediction. Red has actually done a decent job as far as bringing in goalies and dmen, but has missed on way too many forwards. I’ll be pretty disappointed if Breen doesn’t come in and to be brutally honest Maine can’t afford another poor forward class after last year’s. There are two or three who I don’t even understand why they are on the roster.
                                Drew, I really haven't seen one outstanding forward brought-in under Red. Not one.

Pearson was pretty good, but not anything like an All-American, and he was the pick of the litter. Fossier was a right/place right/time guy as a Freshman, but he's found his level. i could go on and on regarding the rest of them, but you get my point.

Red has been an abject failure, no if's or but's.

Comment

Working...
                                X