Minnesota Gophers 2019/2020 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Gophers 2019/2020 Season Thread

Rather than painstakingly perusing my radio dial on my way home from work, I come here to ask what radio station will broadcast today's game? Also, for when I get home, is there a stream I can tap to watch? Thanks!
    You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

You know how we sometimes get the strange final score for a game that has yet to be played from one of the on-line sites? Today, I thought there was a little foreshadowing when Zumwinkle scored to make it 2-1 on a feed from Heise after Brown fired a shot into the end boards. The PA announced the scoring as Zumwinkle from Sarah Potomak. I thought it was strange, because I don't remember 26 being near the play and 9 and 26 look nothing alike on the ice, so I wondered why that was the call and why Brown's assist was originally missed. I guess it must have just been a time warp or something, because five minutes into the 3rd, Zumwinkle scored with Sarah getting the assist.

I think both teams can play better. I know that it is just the first weekend of November, but there have been times when they've collided early and it has almost looked like playoff hockey. Today, they tried hard, but there were more errors out there than we often see. I thought the Gophers had more open ice than they're usually afforded, and Amy caused UW more problems than they usually have defending, although she wasn't able to finish. To her credit, Scobee rebounded from giving up far too much of the near post on the first goal against.

As far as skaters, more than anyone else, I think this year's Gophers will go as #12 goes. When she is a force out there, UM will be tough to beat. Wisconsin is great at taking away the team's top threat. Minnesota has been successful over the years when it has had a Brandt or a Wendell who finds a way to be productive anyway.

I'm sure that tomorrow we'll see something different than we saw today. Often, the defeated team bounces back in Game 2, and I expect that the Badgers will. At that point, can the Gophers respond?
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

The 2012/2013 Minnesota Gopher alums would like to say thank you to this year's team for eliminating a serious contender for an undefeated season yesterday.
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
          The 2012/2013 Minnesota Gopher alums would like to say thank you to this year's team for eliminating a serious contender for an undefeated season yesterday.
          The 1972 Miami Dolphins still get a little salty whenever they are reminded of that 2013 Gopher team.

Comment

So how did the 3 on 3 look? I don't like it personally, but the UW radio guys seemed enthralled by it. The UW radio guys were suspicious of the play where your goalie's helmet popped off her head when UW had possession and there was quote a delay, like she was buying a rest for her teammates, in OT I believe...comments?
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              So how did the 3 on 3 look? I don't like it personally, but the UW radio guys seemed enthralled by it. The UW radio guys were suspicious of the play where your goalie's helmet popped off her head when UW had possession and there was quote a delay, like she was buying a rest for her teammates, in OT I believe...comments?
              Well, I thought both teams got to rest.

I sit behind the visiting bench and was able to watch the explanation to MJ (couldn't hear anything because people were still screaming about the checking/boarding event that left a Gopher writhing on the ice in the Wisco zone). Based on the ref's gestures, it appears that a strap broke on her helmet.

My wife didn't like the 3 x 3 at all. When I suggested the teams probably practiced for it, she thought they should deny that they had ever practiced it.

Comment

Originally posted by OldDave View Post
                My wife didn't like the 3 x 3 at all. When I suggested the teams probably practiced for it, she thought they should deny that they had ever practiced it.
                Frost said that they practiced it a little twice; he said they need to work on their changes. IMO, they need to work on maintaining possession, which is everything with 3 on 3.

Comment

A win and a tie was better than I predicted at the start of the weekend, so, yay! I thought the Gophers were the better team for four of the six periods, and the one where they clearly weren't (the second on Sunday), they gutted it out and at least kept the Badgers from having more than a couple of good scoring chances. The third period on Sunday was a mess; both teams were so exhausted that it was just a question of who could capitalize on the inevitable mistakes. It turned out that the Ostertag/Hengler pairing was marginally more wiped out than everyone else, though they didn't get much help from backcheckers.

The new line combos look good. Playing with Zumwinkle and Heise seems to have unlocked Potomak the Elder, and Woken has brought more effectiveness to Wente and Potomak the Younger. With different (read: any) officiating, Amy could have completely dominated this series. Apparently, a Wisconsin stick is now a part of her uniform, though I question the wisdom of that equipment choice.

A shout out to the defensive corps, especially Emily Brown. After Daryl Watts scored in the first period on Saturday, they dedicated themselves to making sure someone was always between her and the net, and that someone was usually Brown. Watts kept bringing the puck in on the left wing, but had few if any good looks at the goal.

As a Red Wings fan, Sydney Scobee is starting to remind me of Chris Osgood. At the end of the day, I feel like she lets in about the number of goals one would reasonably expect based upon the shots taken, but the saves she doesn't make would often have been easier than the ones she does. Her adventures in playing the puck are a disaster waiting to happen; I'd be less likely to have a stroke if she'd just content herself with stopping the puck behind the net and leave playing it to her defensemen.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    IMO, they need to work on maintaining possession, which is everything with 3 on 3.
                    Very true! With 3 on 3's, patience is often a virtue. Sometimes the Gophers would try to make a long, low percentage pass and lose possession, and it was difficult getting it back. Or they would apply too much forechecking pressure, only to give up a 2 on 1 going the other way. I must say that as a spectator I enjoy the "chess-like" elements of the 3 on 3.
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                      Very true! With 3 on 3's, patience is often a virtue. Sometimes the Gophers would try to make a long, low percentage pass and lose possession, and it was difficult getting it back. Or they would apply too much forechecking pressure, only to give up a 2 on 1 going the other way. I must say that as a spectator I enjoy the "chess-like" elements of the 3 on 3.
                      There have now been three ties and three 3-on-3 periods. Only one led to a goal. I expect the the powers that be will track how 'productive' the periods turn out to be, and decide to either continue or discontinue them. I don't know what a "sufficient" percent would be, but if everybody gets cautious about the way mistakes or risks are magnified, I doubt the percent in reality will be very high, defeating the purpose of the periods.

Not a fan. If you're gonna make the players skate five more minutes, then just play a longer regular OT.

Adding: for comparison, last year, there were fifteen conference games that went to OT. Five ended in the regular OT period, ten went to shootout. So, an eight-minute OT would have decided an addition three or so games?
                      Last edited by robertearle; 11-04-2019, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                        There have now been three ties and three 3-on-3 periods. Only one led to a goal. I expect the the powers that be will track how 'productive' the periods turn out to be, and decide to either continue or discontinue them. I don't know what a "sufficient" percent would be, but if everybody gets cautious about the way mistakes or risks are magnified, I doubt the percent in reality will be very high, defeating the purpose of the periods.

Not a fan. If you're gonna make the players skate five more minutes, then just play a longer regular OT.

Adding: for comparison, last year, there were fifteen conference games that went to OT. Five ended in the regular OT period, ten went to shootout. So, an eight-minute OT would have decided an addition three or so games?
                        The 3 on 3 is brand new, and with the sample size being very small it's way too soon to draw any conclusions. At this early stage the coaches and players are undergoing a learning process, including the development of strategies on how best to take advantage of all the open ice. At the end of the season it will be interesting to compare the percentage of games decided in the 5 on 5 vs. the 3 on 3 (the percent that get to that stage). If adding the 3 on 3 reduces the number of games decided by shootout that's a good thing, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          If adding the 3 on 3 reduces the number of games decided by shootout that's a good thing, IMO.
                          But is it, will it be, more effective than just playing a longer 'regular' OT would be? Three players skating an additional five minutes is the equivalent 'workload' of five skaters playing an additional three minutes. Which would be more effective in avoiding shootouts?

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                            Which would be more effective in avoiding shootouts?
                            The 3 on 3, of course!
                            From CBSSports.com:

"Goalies hate defending it and Winnipeg Jets defenseman Dustin Byfuglien thinks it's terrible, but so far the NHL's experiment with 3-on-3 overtime is doing exactly what it was intended to do -- significantly cut down on the number of games that have to be decided by a shootout."

Of course, women's hockey could be different - we'll just have to wait and see.

Comment

I enjoyed the 3 on 3, relatively speaking at least. I'd prefer to just do 10 minutes of 5 on 5 and end at a tie if that doesn't happen, but I don't see the winds of public opinion and policy making heading that direction anytime soon, so I'll take this as a upgrade over a shootout. At the very least, it's a novelty that still looks like hockey.

Have their been any updates on Alex Gulstene's injury?

Comment

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
                                Addressing these out of order ...

Have their been any updates on Alex Gulstene's injury?
                                Nothing that I've heard. Once you get into the upper, upper-body type injuries, timelines seem difficult to come by. And that's assuming that anyone is forthcoming with injury info, which they usually aren't. But for something like a broken bone, you might get an unofficial "after the new year." Having observed the Kessel injury, how would anyone have been able to predict that time table along the way.
                                Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
                                At the very least, it's a novelty that still looks like hockey.
                                It is, but after seeing the hit on Woken during the 3 on 3, it would really suck to have someone suffer a major injury during some exhibition that only counts in the eyes of the WCHA. The 3 on 3 involves tired players playing with desperation, and I think at some point, an injury will result.

I still vote for playing five minutes of 5 on 5, and if it's still a tie, fair enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X