X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

Originally posted by chickod View Post
    I knew somebody would bring this up so I might as well join the party. I actually agree with you. It sort of renders the regular season meaningless. And, in reality, it perpetuates the methodology of teams like BU and BC (and I'm a BU guy all the way) to continue to recruit elite talent, cruise through the season and then turn it on when the games count (and then have them leave and go pro, only to repeat the following year). But we all know WHY this is done. $$$$$$$$$$$ As usual, the powers that be figured out how they could make even more money. Plus, the prevailing sentiment that everyone needs a "second chance" these days. Look at the ridiculous MBPBEGAR ("Make believe phony baloney everyone gets a ribbon") round that they thankfully got rid of this year (with apologies to Chuck Murray - I know I got the acronym wrong).

But if you think it's bad in hockey, look at the NCAA Basketball Tournament. The idea of sports is to WIN, right? So how do they get off saying that the team that finishes eighth in the B1G, for example, "deserves" to go to the tournament over a team that won 25 games but finished second in their conference, just because it's a "mid major?" If the idea is to have the "best 64 (or 65 or whatever it is now) teams in the tournament, then why bother with conferences at all? Just use a PWR like hockey and pick the top 65 teams. A team who finishes second in their conference, even if it's the worst in the country (i.e., like an America East or Patriot League) STILL deserves to go to the tournament over an eighth place team that probably lost EVERY game it played against the top four teams in its league.

It's never going to change, though, so there's no point in lamenting. It is what it is.
    What team are you a fan of?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
      What team are you a fan of?
      I graduated from BU in 1976 and have followed them for some 48 years (since they beat Minnesota in 1971 for the National Championship). But I also have an affinity for UNH and Maine (family and friends who have gone to those schools). I also think it would be a GREAT thing for them to get back to the Garden, because they usually bring huge fan bases which makes for a really exciting atmosphere, which, frankly, has been dreadful the last few years. Unfortunately, the BU fan base has been dwindling for years as we went from a commuter school (and lots of local players) to an "international" school where many students come from "non-hockey" areas, cultures and backgrounds.

I was at the Garden in 2004 so I get it (goal disallowed because the guy's skate was one millimeter into the crease which has no bearing on the play whatsoever). I have been lucky to witness Final (what they used to call it)/Frozen Fours in person...1974, 1978, 1995, 2009, 2015; three of which we won and two in which we lost (1974 to Minnesota and 2015 to Providence). So yes, I am somewhat spoiled.
      Last edited by chickod; 03-17-2019, 08:58 PM.

Comment

I get this, and I commend you on your optimism. Because Lord knows it is tough with this lot. But even I am done. There is simply no coaching of defense. Period.
        I dont think defense is the problem. They often couldn't break out to save their life in a lot of games and STILL often employ the dump and chase strategy. Defense was substantially better in my opinion, the offense needs a lot of work.

Comment

If the idea is to have the "best 64 (or 65 or whatever it is now) teams in the tournament, then why bother with conferences at all? Just use a PWR like hockey and pick the top 65 teams.
          This.

"Conferences" are BS constructs. When an objective metric exists (say, the KRACH or the PW), just employ it across the board. That rewards merit.

And, to your other argument, do the hockey tournaments even make a dime these days?
          Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-17-2019, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            This.

"Conferences" are BS constructs. When an objective metric exists (say, the KRACH or the PW), just employ it across the board. That rewards merit.
            Didn't you get the memo? "Merit" has no place in our society anymore... everyone has to have a "chance"...or three or four...

Comment

I graduated from BU in 1976 and have followed them for some 48 years (since they beat Minnesota in 1971 for the National Championship). But I also have an affinity for UNH and Maine (family and friends who have gone to those schools). I also think it would be a GREAT thing for them to get back to the Garden, because they usually bring huge fan bases which makes for a really exciting atmosphere, which, frankly, has been dreadful the last few years. Unfortunately, the BU fan base has been dwindling for years as we went from a commuter school (and lots of local players) to an "international" school where many students come from "non-hockey" areas, cultures and backgrounds.

I was at the Garden in 2004 so I get it (goal disallowed because the guy's skate was one millimeter into the crease which has no bearing on the play whatsoever). I have been lucky to witness Final (what they used to call it)/Frozen Fours in person...1974, 1978, 1995, 2009, 2015; three of which we won and two in which we lost (1974 to Minnesota and 2015 to Providence). So yes, I am somewhat spoiled.
              Ok, I just wondered why you could have seen BU play and went to UMass/Unh in Amherst.

Comment

Ok, I just wondered why you could have seen BU play and went to UMass/Unh in Amherst.
                Yeah, I struggled with that but knew I could still go and I wanted to see UMass because I figured that would only go two games. So I went to Lowell tonight (well, afternoon) for Game 3.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                  Same with Brown and CC. Each conference has the choice of awarding the AQ to the regular season winner or the team that wins the tournament. A conference will ALWAYS choose the winner of its tournament.
                  My point was that there should be no AQ's at all. Just evaluate the teams along a continuum, employing some reasonable and objective criteria.

It'll truly be an embarrassment to our sport if BC gets in and displaces a deserving team. That team has no business whatsoever to even be in the same Zip Code as the tournament.

Comment

My point was that there should be no AQ's at all. Just evaluate the teams along a continuum, employing some reasonable and objective criteria.

It'll truly be an embarrassment to our sport if BC gets in and displaces a deserving team. That team has no business whatsoever to even be in the same Zip Code as the tournament.
                    Yes, I got your point and I agree. But I told you...$$$$ always wins.

Comment

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                      I dont think defense is the problem. They often couldn't break out to save their life in a lot of games and STILL often employ the dump and chase strategy. Defense was substantially better in my opinion, the offense needs a lot of work.
                      https://youtu.be/ngw9ESJJH-k

Focus on 32 second mark. And ask yourself if he could have done more.

Then look at the blocked shots NU had.

Then you can realize one team stresses defense, and the other doesn't.

Comment

This.

And, to your other argument, do the hockey tournaments even make a dime these days?
                        Without conferences, tournaments and autobids 1/3 of the teams in existence fold. When those teams fold we go back to a 12 (or 8) team tournament. Or we just follow the European football method and don't have any playoffs and just award a winner at the end of the season. St Cloud are the champions. No need to play any further games.

Comment

Yes, I got your point and I agree. But I told you...$$$$ always wins.
                          So the british still own us?

Comment

So the british still own us?
                            That would be ££££

Comment

Without conferences, tournaments and autobids 1/3 of the teams in existence fold. When those teams fold we go back to a 12 (or 8) team tournament. Or we just follow the European football method and don't have any playoffs and just award a winner at the end of the season. St Cloud are the champions. No need to play any further games.
                              Missed my point.

Keep the conferences intact for now, even play the conference-tournaments if you like, but only for the sake of a little more comparative data to throw into the pot. (And if this system winnows-out the Bentleys and Huntsvilles of the world, who really cares?)

I'm all for a National tournament, though, but select that field on the basis of objective data, irrespective of conference affiliation.

Makes perfect sense. And it'll never happen.

Comment

Whoa there, tiger. I didn't say "all or nothing." And if they "fold," well then doesn't that prove my point? Why do you think they "fold?" They can't allocate or generate the money for the program. Sorry, I hate that "sky is falling" approach. Baseball has, what? 31 of 32 teams in the "playoffs" now? A ONE-GAME elimination after a 162 game schedule? And if you followed the argument, MY team is the one that stands to benefit (and they aren't even at .500 yet), just like last year when they won the HE tournament to get to the NCAAs. So there's no bias. Of course I'm going to cheer for my team, because the system is the system and they're there. But he's right...it's embarrassing for a sixth place team to make it. Of course, you would say "That's GREAT for the sport...all the excitement and pageantry" (just like Chris Schenkel). Fine. Whatever. Besides, it's not as applicable in hockey. My REAL point was I just don't feel that the 85th place team in an 86 team league deserves to go to the tournament over a team who finished second in their conference because they lost one game by one point in OT. You play against your competition. Period. If you LOSE a lot of games, I'm not buying the "but we were in the toughest league" argument. So what? That also means you probably had more TV exposure and could recruit better players. It's all relative. We're never going to agree on this one...

Comment

Working...
                                X