X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 8: Bezos Takes Over the World

Originally posted by rufus View Post
    What year Miata?
    '99 NB 5-speed. Power equipment package, Nardi 3-spoke wheel. Only 89K miles.

Bought it off Craigslist because I was getting sick of my Wrangler turning like a tank and draining fuel like same, and I had been begging for decades to learn how to drive a farking stick.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
      ...which probably wouldn't happen without light trucks benefiting from a, you guessed it, 25% tariff.
      Best thing that could happen to this country in the long run would be $6/gallon gas.

Course, in the short run it would be devastating. But sometimes, you have to rip the bandaid off, even if it hurts.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
        '99 NB 5-speed. Power equipment package, Nardi 3-spoke wheel. Only 89K miles.

Bought it off Craigslist because I was getting sick of my Wrangler turning like a tank and draining fuel like same, and I had been begging for decades to learn how to drive a farking stick.
        I've got a '94 that I have to get a new top on, do the belts and fluids, and get cleaned up to sell. Also around 89,000 miles.

Loved it, but as I'm getting older, realize just how dammed cramped, barebones, and uncomfortable it is. Need a bit more in the way of creature comforts.

Look to pick up a (relatively)low mileage 2012 sometime in the future.
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
          I think the American companies just don't care about building good cars. They don't sell enough, as fat Americans want big trucks and SUVs. So they say, why bother, no one wants to buy them.

And as was pointed out, every time they do actually manage to cobble something decent together, as Ford did a few different times with the Focus, they pull the plug, cause they make more money selling trucks

So anyone who wants a small, nicely turned out, small car, has to go Asian or European by default.
          The funny thing is, it's just not that simple. The top 25 sellers in the US last year were:
          37% Crossover SUV
          32% full or mid-size trucks
          28% Cars

How do you classify a crossover? It's built on a car frame with SUV stylings.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            Yeah, I kinda veered off and missed my own point. WHat I was trying to get at was the Corolla standard interior vs. the Fusion Platinum. The Toyota's was just better.
            yeah I understood what you were getting at, although my reply didn't convey that

Toyota's designs and build quality seems lightyears ahead. The Tacoma was my first Toyota and I'm sold on them as a company. It's been super reliable, seems well built, and just feels higher quality than an equivalent American vehicle.

where I live in Maine is like the standard "practical" vehicle, but I'm not all that impressed with the interior of ours (but it was pretty cheap).
            Last edited by BassAle; 03-05-2019, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
              Rover, Kep, you’re both rich d-bags and come the revolution you’ll both face the guillotine. Kep just gets the benefit of being towards the back of the line.
              Puhleeze. I'll be like Napoleon, sitting back and watching you idiots all execute each other and then I'll crown myself emperor and call it a day!
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

I'm not impressed with the center console stack on Toyota's. I sat in a few of the 2018 redesigned Camry's, test drove one, and the center console feels straight out of 1989. Giant buttons and wasted space around it with large text to describe what the button is. Also, the steering wheel/dash does not accommodate my height and size well.

A shame really, because I loved the aggressive look of the Camry and the standard features (360 surround cameras) that GM had only begun to make standard in *Cadillac*.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Its a clean sweep. Consumer Reports top 20 reliable cars of the decade - none are American made.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-car...-reports.html/
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Eastern bias.
                    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                      Trying to fight off the "you have no car payment right now you nincompoop" angel on my shoulder
                      I have the same problem. Plus, my 2012 Fusion is starting to show its share of wear and tear in some spots...

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                        Best thing that could happen to this country in the long run would be $6/gallon gas.

Course, in the short run it would be devastating. But sometimes, you have to rip the bandaid off, even if it hurts.
                        Nobody stopping you from paying the station $6/gal.... dope
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Bezos? Amazon? Whole Foods? Minimum wages? Economy?

Figured this article belongs in this thread.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-hours-changes
                          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                            Its a clean sweep. Consumer Reports top 20 reliable cars of the decade - none are American made.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-car...-reports.html/
                            But a couple are assembled in America, aren't they?
                            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                              But a couple are assembled in America, aren't they?
                              When they say assembled in America don't they assemble them complete overseas, then take a couple parts off, ship them here, and then "assemble" them by putting those couple pieces back together like a child's model, just to be able to splat "America made" on the ads for the dopes?
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                When they say assembled in America don't they assemble them complete overseas, then take a couple parts off, ship them here, and then "assemble" them by putting those couple pieces back together like a child's model, just to be able to splat "America made" on the ads for the dopes?
                                No, that's just the Ford Transit Connect, a delivery van with no back windows that is made overseas, shipped with seats installed in the back to make it a "passenger car" and the seats are promptly removed practically on customs property and destroyed, all so Ford can bypass the Chicken Tax.

Most those cars on the list actually are assembled in Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, or South Carolina, with non-union labor.
                                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X