Ohio State @ Minnesota State 1/22 - 1/23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State @ Minnesota State 1/22 - 1/23

The Buckeyes travel to Mankato this weekend to take on the Mavericks. Both games start at 3:07 EST. It has obviously been a rough season for both teams, so both will go into this weekends games hungry. Ohio State comes into the game at 7-17 (3-15 WCHA) and Minnesota State comes into this weekend's game with a record of 3-19-2 (0-17-1 WCHA), but last weekend, the Mavericks played Minnesota to a pair of one-goal games, so it would appear that they are improving. With Ohio State setting in 7th place and in a recent goal-scoring slump (7 goals in their last six games since coming back from the holiday break), the Mavericks have to feel they have a shot at getting into the win column in the league this weekend. Ohio State took the first two games of this series in Columbus last fall by scores of 5-3 and 4-0. Sophomore goaltender Alex LaMere got the first shutout of her Ohio State career in that 4-0 win. Maverick fans, what have your thoughts been on this season? I would think you were encouraged by the two one-goal games vs the Gophers. It's been a rough season for us, but the girls have shown improvement in some areas. Having a new coach and laying a foundation is not easy, but us Buckeye fans are hopeful that it will pay dividends in the future. As is normally the case it seems, I think the kids are more resilient than us fans. Every weekend, I feel bad for them that they work so hard and are not rewarded for it. After the games, they smile and thank us for being there to support them, then they get back to work for the next weekend's games. I haven't heard any of them complain or feel sorry for themselves over the results of the season so far. Anyway, good luck to both teams this weekend. Hopefully, there are no injuries.

Re: Ohio State @ Minnesota State 1/22 - 1/23

Not much chatter here. I suppose that is to be expected when the 7th place team takes on the 8th place team in the league. I will give you the "cliff notes" version of this weekend's games. The Buckeyes took five of the six points over the weekend. Ohio State tied the Mavericks Friday night 3-3. Neither team scored in OT, so the game went to a shootout with the Buckeyes prevailing and getting the extra point. No OT in today's game as the Buckeyes erupted for an 8-3 win. Ohio State stays on the road with a trip to Duluth next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
      Not much chatter here. I suppose that is to be expected when the 7th place team takes on the 8th place team in the league...
      Quite so. Looking at the resumes, neither club has earned a brighter spotlight this season. Can't fault the fans of the other programs for having no interest.

At the same time, it was an important series for both teams, and I'm pleased and gratified by the results. 5 of 6 points is a successful road trip. 11 of 12 points is a decisive win of the season series. There's no question as to who was the "significantly better team" for 2015-16.

And yet, there's plenty of humble pie for all of us who support the Buckeyes. This is but one step up the ladder. A nice step to have, for sure. But the WCHA ladder has 8 rungs. Lots of climbing to go, both on the ice and on the recruiting trail. And the WCHA is such a strong league. Slip just a little, and you're likely to drop all the way to the bottom rung.

Regardless, it was a highly successful weekend. I'm sure it was a very pleasant plane ride home for the players and coaches, and deservedly so.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
        Can't fault the fans of the other programs for having no interest.
        More than no interest for someone I saw a lot of the first game and some of the second. I was curious if MSU would show improvement after the encouraging series at Minnesota. I actually gave them a 'yes' on that. I thought the Friday game was a good game. Mankato is so challenged offensively it was good to see their 2nd and 3rd goals being as nice as they were. The tying 2nd goal was a really nice passing play on a rush, and the 3rd (tying again!) goal was a very slick power play goal. MSU needs to figure out how to score and they were both good plays.

OSU clearly took control in the second game, but MSU made it a battle till late in the 2nd. I'm sure the Buckeyes felt this was a 'must' series to win, but I didn't consider it a gimme by any means. Congrats to the Buckeyes.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
          More than no interest for someone I saw a lot of the first game and some of the second. I was curious if MSU would show improvement after the encouraging series at Minnesota.
          It's very cool that you took the time to do that. Love it when people are genuinely fans of Women's Hockey, not just one team.

I actually gave them a 'yes' on that. I thought the Friday game was a good game. Mankato is so challenged offensively it was good to see their 2nd and 3rd goals being as nice as they were. The tying 2nd goal was a really nice passing play on a rush, and the 3rd (tying again!) goal was a very slick power play goal. MSU needs to figure out how to score and they were both good plays.

OSU clearly took control in the second game, but MSU made it a battle till late in the 2nd. I'm sure the Buckeyes felt this was a 'must' series to win, but I didn't consider it a gimme by any means. Congrats to the Buckeyes.
          The two games in Columbus weren't gimmes either. There's definitely talent on the Mavericks' squad. It's an honor to play them, just like every other team in the WCHA.

EDIT: Wanted to recognize you both for this post, and for your response to Ronnieb over on the Men's Hockey Board. Unfortunately, must spread.
          Last edited by pgb-ohio; 01-24-2016, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
            More than no interest for someone I saw a lot of the first game and some of the second. I was curious if MSU would show improvement after the encouraging series at Minnesota. I actually gave them a 'yes' on that. I thought the Friday game was a good game. Mankato is so challenged offensively it was good to see their 2nd and 3rd goals being as nice as they were. The tying 2nd goal was a really nice passing play on a rush, and the 3rd (tying again!) goal was a very slick power play goal. MSU needs to figure out how to score and they were both good plays.

Oh, believe me, us OSU fans didn't consider it a gimme, either! We are not in a position to consider any of these games gimmes! After a five-game losing streak, though, I was happy for the girls and the coaching staff that they were able to get in the win column and get five of the six points.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
              Oh, believe me, us OSU fans didn't consider it a gimme, either! We are not in a position to consider any of these games gimmes! After a five-game losing streak, though, I was happy for the girls and the coaching staff that they were able to get in the win column and get five of the six points.
              A strong win to say the least. Is this a sign of things to come? The Bucks have struggled to hold onto a lead, maybe yesterday gets them over that hump.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                A strong win to say the least. Is this a sign of things to come? The Bucks have struggled to hold onto a lead, maybe yesterday gets them over that hump.
                I guess we will find out next weekend as we travel to Duluth to take on the Bulldogs. UMD took both games in Columbus back in December by scores of 4-2 and 5-2.

Comment

The Bucks have struggled to hold onto a lead, maybe yesterday gets them over that hump.
                  Could be, although the other way to look at it would be that even against offensively-challenged MSU, the Buckeyes did lose leads of two and one goals in that game. The difference seems to be that the offense was rolling, and the Mav's are ill-equipped to win a scoring contest.
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    Could be, although the other way to look at it would be that even against offensively-challenged MSU, the Buckeyes did lose leads of two and one goals in that game. The difference seems to be that the offense was rolling, and the Mav's are ill-equipped to win a scoring contest.
                    That is definitely something that needs to be worked on (holding leads, have more of a killer instinct), although the way this season has gone, I am going to enjoy the five-point weekend.

Comment

Losing a lead is always painful, and is certainly something one tends to remember. But the inability to hold a lead is far from the biggest factor in the Buckeye's record.

I checked the box scores from the 17 Buckeye losses. Yeah, I know. Not the most enjoyable project I've ever assigned myself. Anyhow, in 14 of those losses, OSU never held the lead. The three exceptions:

November 20th @ St. Cloud: Lost 2-3 after leading 1-0.
                      December 11 Hosting UMD: Lost 2-4 after leading 2-1.
                      January 3rd Hosting Penn State: Lost 2-3 after leading 2-0.

The only glaring case is wasting the two goal lead against Penn State. The other two games were tight throughout, not a matter of yielding huge comebacks.

Increase the emphasis on holding leads? Devote extra practice time to it? Yes, please. But this issue does need to be kept in perspective.

Comment

Working...
                      X