X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New WCHA is dead

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    You also have to accept the fact that if one of the 6 institutions struggles and suddenly needs to drop hockey or decides to try to get into NCHC (and succeeds) you lose your autobid. This is why most leagues throughout history have been at least 8 teams.
    can't disagree...

so who would be the other team to make it the magnificent eight?

UAH? one of the western-most AHA schools? ASU? [boy do i wish it was UMD]

or will these seven schools not even be together when the dust settles?

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
      can't disagree...

so who would be the other team to make it the magnificent eight?

UAH? one of the western-most AHA schools? ASU? [boy do i wish it was UMD]

or will these seven schools not even be together when the dust settles?
      its quite possibly the latter, but I think the obvious answer is UAH is a fall back with their expectation being they'll get St. Thomas when the Tommies are forced to move up to D2 after they get removed from the MIAC and don't really have a place to go in D3.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        its quite possibly the latter, but I think the obvious answer is UAH is a fall back with their expectation being they'll get St. Thomas when the Tommies are forced to move up to D2 after they get removed from the MIAC and don't really have a place to go in D3.
        their arena sits 1,400... how would that work?

do they also need to commit to a new rink?

Details:
        Built in 2003
        Capacity: 1,400

The St. Thomas Ice Arena is located in Mendota Heights, Minnesota, and is the home to both the St. Thomas Academy Cadets and the University of St. Thomas Tommies. The facility has a capacity of 1,400 fans, and was opened in November of 2003. Free parking is available outside the facility, and concessions are available in the heated lobby.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
          and, or but, if getting into the tourney is really the goal, create three six/six+ team conferences for three bids;

1. MSU/BSU/MTU/NMU/LSSU/FSU

2. BGSU/RMU/MU/CC/NU/RIT

3. THE REST OF THE AHA SCHOOLS

and maybe there is a way to place air force in a better spot... and maybe even include UAH into all of this.
          There was actually a somewhat similar proposal being floated by coaches a few years back that includes one of the UA- (F,A or H) schools in each conference for a 3 league 7 teams each arrangement. Play each school in your conference 4x, then one school from each of the others 2x.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
            their arena sits 1,400... how would that work?

do they also need to commit to a new rink?

Details:
            Built in 2003
            Capacity: 1,400

The St. Thomas Ice Arena is located in Mendota Heights, Minnesota, and is the home to both the St. Thomas Academy Cadets and the University of St. Thomas Tommies. The facility has a capacity of 1,400 fans, and was opened in November of 2003. Free parking is available outside the facility, and concessions are available in the heated lobby.
            Touting a heated lobby makes it sound like The Dee.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              There was actually a somewhat similar proposal being floated by coaches a few years back that includes one of the UA- (F,A or H) schools in each conference for a 3 league 7 teams each arrangement. Play each school in your conference 4x, then one school from each of the others 2x.
              I like that alignment but unfortunately it sounds like it would be 6-6-7 with the AK mess.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Oooh yeah, time to break out the interlock spreadsheets again!

That said, the lesson of the CHA is "get more than six teams or you'll be down to 20 league games beating on each other all the dang time".

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  Most of the big schools charter rather than take a flight. it leaves right from your town and lands right at their town, but it is a lot more costly. Wisconsin charters from Madison to Houghton believe it or not, a 20 minute flight.
                  They also would have their bus driven up from Madison to meet them at the Houghton County Airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                  What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    Most of the big schools charter rather than take a flight. it leaves right from your town and lands right at their town, but it is a lot more costly. Wisconsin charters from Madison to Houghton believe it or not, a 20 minute flight.
                    Madison to Houghton is not a 20 min flight.. the leftovers are not big schools they will takes the school bus.
                    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                      Madison to Houghton is not a 20 min flight.. the leftovers are not big schools they will takes the school bus.
                      MSN to CMX is a 41 min flight.

r

Comment

• Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                        BG chartered to Houghton last season.
                        Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                          Madison to Houghton is roughly 300 miles. A 20 min. flight would require a speed of 900 mph

Comment

Originally posted by TheDee View Post
                            Madison to Houghton is roughly 300 miles. A 20 min. flight would require a speed of 900 mph
                            Hey now, let's not let facts get in the way of dramatic opinion about how simple/easy something is...

Unrelated subject, I get the feeling that ASU is no longer on the minds of the Secret Seven. If UAH isn't in the mix when they already have a rink ASU better start to find a conference home quick because their options are running out.

Ryan
                            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                            Originally posted by geezer
                            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                            Originally posted by manurespreader
                            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                              They also would have their bus driven up from Madison to meet them at the Houghton County Airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              As you would expect, the women hockey Badgers do the same in route to Bemidji. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                                Hey now, let's not let facts get in the way of dramatic opinion about how simple/easy something is...

Unrelated subject, I get the feeling that ASU is no longer on the minds of the Secret Seven. If UAH isn't in the mix when they already have a rink ASU better start to find a conference home quick because their options are running out.

Ryan
                                Their window won't close however. They will get a home with the other D-1's whenever they get around to building their rink. They've shown that they are willing to have the program be a "loss leader" as an independent.
                                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Working...
                                X