Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    So, in the end, the final chapter has been written -- Penske won. FTG lost.
    Exactly!
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
      So, in the end, the final chapter has been written -- Penske won. FTG lost.
      Before we all dance on the grave of the Hullman family, perhaps we should see how this plays out. It could be too little, too late.

This is more the start of a new chapter instead of an end of a book. Looks promising, for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        Before we all dance on the grave of the Hullman family, perhaps we should see how this plays out. It could be too little, too late.
        Oh, I'm dancing!

This is more the start of a new chapter instead of an end of a book. Looks promising, for sure.
        True enough. But, I'm still dancing.
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Oh, I'm dancing!

True enough. But, I'm still dancing.
          I generally agree. Open-wheel racing has been on life support in the US, and now that's it's looking up again I'm pretty happy. I'd love to see more interest though. And I'd like to see another engine and maybe some tweaks to the cars in indycar.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Regarding Hamilton. I used to be a skeptic, but you know these cars are very difficult to drive well. They have unbelievable grip, until they don't. So they are unforgiving. Second, the engineering requirements on the driver are very high. There is so much a driver has to be aware of and handle. I think Lewis is unparalleled at doing that part of the job, and third, he's a master at knowing just how far to push the car and making it go as fast as possible given the constraints the team places him under. I don't think anyone is in his league as far as that. There might be drivers who can do a faster lap as a one-off, but on a consistent basis, managing the total system, no one currently comes close.

Comment

That was a crazy finish to a race. All of that chaos driven by a Mercedes powertain failure- has Bottas not brought out the SC in the first place.....

Seb, dude. You drove right into your teammate after you passed him, not the other way around- you could see it live in real time, and certainly all of the replays. That was pretty bad Seb.

Lewis seemed to take a podium away from Albon, but Alex really invited the pass attempt- I'll have to think about that one- although Lewis did take the blame for it, and apologized in the interviews.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                That was a crazy finish to a race. All of that chaos driven by a Mercedes powertain failure- has Bottas not brought out the SC in the first place.....

Seb, dude. You drove right into your teammate after you passed him, not the other way around- you could see it live in real time, and certainly all of the replays. That was pretty bad Seb.

Lewis seemed to take a podium away from Albon, but Alex really invited the pass attempt- I'll have to think about that one- although Lewis did take the blame for it, and apologized in the interviews.
                You’re telling me. Wow, that was a thriller. And Gasly has got to be the happiest guy in F1 right now.
                Russell Jaslow

Comment

IMHO Lewis should have known because that corner has an extremely late apex normally, so it always appears that the first car is leaving room when in reality he is just driving it as usual. Now an argument could be made that had Albon driven more defensively, he would have closed the door to that pass and also he really didn't leave racing room, but he wasn't required to. Lewis would have had the pass the next corner anyway.

I'm sure Ferrari management is tearing their hair out.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6bIhz_gxNE

Comment

Hinchcliffe out at Arrow McLaren and Bourdais out at Coyne.

Always one step forward 2 steps back with Indycar.

Penske has a massive job ahead of him.

Shopping list if it were up to me:
                      1. Title sponsor for INDY 500 and raise that purse by about $10 million and $1 million for pole position.
                      2. Bring as much of the traditional circuits back in their original schedule spots. Cleveland and Milwaukee are musts. Belle Isle should be ditched permanently.
                      3. Franchises. Michael Andretti is right.
                      4. ALL races on NBC, period.
                      5. Video game! Duh! Having an awesome and current game would be huge for kids/young fans.
                      6. Sports car and nascar doubleheader’s is a must. 3-4x per year would be perfect.
                      7. Nationwide commercials featuring drivers also known as marketing 101. Sell the drivers and sell the speed.
                      8. Get some Indy regulars to race a sprint car once in a while. Grass roots connections are important.
                      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                        Hinchcliffe out at Arrow McLaren and Bourdais out at Coyne.

Always one step forward 2 steps back with Indycar.

Penske has a massive job ahead of him.

Shopping list if it were up to me:
                        1. Title sponsor for INDY 500 and raise that purse by about $10 million and $1 million for pole position.
                        2. Bring as much of the traditional circuits back in their original schedule spots. Cleveland and Milwaukee are musts. Belle Isle should be ditched permanently.
                        3. Franchises. Michael Andretti is right.
                        4. ALL races on NBC, period.
                        5. Video game! Duh! Having an awesome and current game would be huge for kids/young fans.
                        6. Sports car and nascar doubleheader’s is a must. 3-4x per year would be perfect.
                        7. Nationwide commercials featuring drivers also known as marketing 101. Sell the drivers and sell the speed.
                        8. Get some Indy regulars to race a sprint car once in a while. Grass roots connections are important.
                        I liked Hinch but it's political. He was faster than Erickson. He was a good ambassador for the sport, and I like Detroit, it makes money and is well attended even if it is bumpy which I hope they do something about.

Watching the F1 race today looks like Racing Point is going to be faster next year, same for several teams in the midfield, even Williams. I'm sorry for Hulkenburg, he seems fast enough to keep a seat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZ44VdhdVs

Comment

Racefans.com is reporting the following rumor. Lawrence Stroll is considering buying Astin Martin, whose stock has fallen from 18 to 5 in the last year. They are losing money and considered a takeover target. If he does then it's likely that AM would become the title sponsor of Racing Point and drop Red Bull. Red Bull gets' 10 million a year from this deal as it is now.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            Racefans.com is reporting the following rumor. Lawrence Stroll is considering buying Astin Martin, whose stock has fallen from 18 to 5 in the last year. They are losing money and considered a takeover target. If he does then it's likely that AM would become the title sponsor of Racing Point and drop Red Bull. Red Bull gets' 10 million a year from this deal as it is now.
                            On a professional level, that would make me a sad panda. Not depressed, as I really don't know how good of a business person Lawrence Stroll is- he could be worthy. But back 20 years ago, my professional work actually helped Aston Martin survive, and the core of the current Astons still bear evidence of our work- which really means that the V12 is still a derivative of the Ford V6 found in the DN101 Taurus.

It's interesting that a company ripe for take over like that has the means to donate $10M to Red Bull- it's not as if they are getting anything concrete out of that, as I see it.

Comment

It's interesting that a company ripe for take over like that has the means to donate $10M to Red Bull- it's not as if they are getting anything concrete out of that, as I see it.
                              Not to mention state they are going to participate in the new Hypercar class for WEC and Le Mans.

(I'm also sure Honda would love to see Aston Martin logos off the Red Bull cars, despite Honda saying it doesn't bother them.)
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

Not to mention state they are going to participate in the new Hypercar class for WEC and Le Mans.

(I'm also sure Honda would love to see Aston Martin logos off the Red Bull cars, despite Honda saying it doesn't bother them.)
                                At least they could sell the Hypercar to real people. There's little on an F1 car that they could sell. Works for Ferrari due to history, but I'm not so sure about Aston Martin.

Comment

Working...
                                X