Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Providence Friars - 2019-2020 Rebuilding The Friars for Another NCAA

Originally posted by MikeLogan View Post
    The trip to Denver this year was the start of a four year deal with Denver, which also involves BC. The Eagles are going there next year and then Denver is slated to come east and play both PC and BC during the 2020-21 season. Information on next year's schedule should start to come together in next several weeks.

During one of our coaches shows this season, Nate Leaman said that a number of schools don't want to play a home and home with Providence. They would rather schedule home and home series with certain Hockey East schools they feel they will beat. This year Wisconsin comes to Merrimack after they traveled there....Wisconsin and North Dakota haven't played at PC since 1989-it was 1987 that Minnesota made its last trip. Michigan and Michigan State have never played at PC. Many WCHA teams use much of their travel budget for league games...so you are left with ECAC and Atlantic Hockey making up a large portion of PC's non-conference slate. Leaman has had success with some NCHC schools-he is asking just not having much luck.
    Mike-Can PC get with Brown and lure some teams out East?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyFanClub View Post
      I always hate this argument ... Coach Y won with Coach X's recruits. .... First of all, Coach X didn't win with his recruits. So Coach Y has already done better.

Second - Bennett was on the staff, meaning he also recruited them.

Third - Bennett didn't win the NC until Year 3 - meaning he had plenty of his own recruits in there as well.

Fourth - Union never had a 20-win season until the last two years under Leaman. They have won 20 games each of the last three years, including an NCAA bid, with Bennett as coach and all of his recruits.
      Absolutely true. PC would be nuts not to chase him if Nate jumps. The guy can recruit AND flat out coach ...Kids come to a tiny DIII liberal arts school with a s--t hole rink to play for him. I say this as anything but a Union fan.

It's somewhat surprising that the locals here aren't talking about him --especially as an alum.
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
        Absolutely true. PC would be nuts not to chase him if Nate jumps. The guy can recruit AND flat out coach ...Kids come to a tiny DIII liberal arts school with a s--t hole rink to play for him. I say this as anything but a Union fan.

It's somewhat surprising that the locals here aren't talking about him --especially as an alum.
        Well, he was already at PC for a long time as an assistant - and the results weren't pretty. Couldn't recruit top level players while an assistant (as the current staff does) - and doesn't do it at Union (though admittedly, bringing in top level talent there is an uphill battle). So not the best recruiter, and as stated only 1 NCAA bid in the last 3 years, in a weaker ECAC. FYI, about the same age as assistant Ron Rolston. Not a slam dunk candidate by any means.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisP View Post
          Well, he was already at PC for a long time as an assistant - and the results weren't pretty. Couldn't recruit top level players while an assistant (as the current staff does) - and doesn't do it at Union (though admittedly, bringing in top level talent there is an uphill battle). So not the best recruiter, and as stated only 1 NCAA bid in the last 3 years, in a weaker ECAC. FYI, about the same age as assistant Ron Rolston. Not a slam dunk candidate by any means.
          The last alum was an absolute disaster
          Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

I would always prefer an alum. They don’t jump ship. What about Jerry Keefe? Hurt during senior citizen. Don’t know if he ever actually graduated. Does one need to grad to be considered an alum? He’s going to have a long wait at NU. Would he be interested? Why wouldn’t we want him? But Rick would be my first choice.
            Last edited by Black_Ice; 05-02-2019, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Ice View Post
              I would always prefer an alum. They don’t jump ship. What about Jerry Keene? Hurt during senior citizen.
              I wouldn't advise hiring a hurt senior citizen for head coach. Too complicated. Is the area behind the PC bench ADA compliant? So many hurdles to overcome.
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

[QUOTE=pc88;6802534]Mike-Can PC get with Brown and lure some teams out East?

I'm not sure, but one problem is Brown doesn't starting playing games until late October. This means there are usually two to three weekends where non conference games are scheduled and Brown still hasn't started playing games.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Ice View Post
                  I would always prefer an alum. They don’t jump ship.
                  I guess no one told Greg Carvel and David Quinn that.

Sean
                  Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                  Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                  BU Hockey highlights and extras
                  NCAA Hockey Financials
                  Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                  I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                    I guess no one told Greg Carvel and David Quinn that.

Sean
                    Touche !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                      Nate has been mentioned as having talks with Sabres also. There's no doubt he's kicking the tires at the pro level ...a la Jim Montgomery.
                      Https//***********/ap_sports/status/1128675415780937729?s=12

Can’t make this work. So Buffalo hired Ralph Kruger
                      Last edited by cavbim; 05-15-2019, 11:27 AM.
                      Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Originally posted by cavbim View Post

Can’t make this work. So Buffalo hired Ralph Kruger

Any news on Bjorkqvist yet? Also saw Brown's schedule released but nothing on PC yet. Been following the USHL playoffs as they wind down. Incoming freshman Crozier seems to be doing very well. This is good news for the d-core that has been chipped away at with the losses there. Noticed the number of Hockey East goalies being replaced. Hawkey, Oettinger, Woll, Primeau and maybe another one or two(?). No team really stands out to be that far ahead of anyone else atop the conference in terms of current talent and what little I know about others incoming players outside of the NTDP kids committed to a few HE teams.

EDIT: Now I see Bjorkqvist is gone.....
                        Last edited by 3100IRL; 05-15-2019, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 3100IRL View Post

Any news on Bjorkqvist yet? Also saw Brown's schedule released but nothing on PC yet. Been following the USHL playoffs as they wind down. Incoming freshman Crozier seems to be doing very well. This is good news for the d-core that has been chipped away at with the losses there. Noticed the number of Hockey East goalies being replaced. Hawkey, Oettinger, Woll, Primeau and maybe another one or two(?). No team really stands out to be that far ahead of anyone else atop the conference in terms of current talent and what little I know about others incoming players outside of the NTDP kids committed to a few HE teams.

EDIT: Now I see Bjorkqvist is gone.....
                          PC does have the Harvard starter coming in....
                          Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by chrisP View Post
                            Today's Ottawa Sun reports that Patrick Roy is seeking an interview for the Senator's head coaching position.

Comment

Looks like both the hockey and hoop coaches were looking to jump ship. Cooley is doing the Rick Barnes "I looked at what was out there and became more committed to being at PC". Funny how that happens when a coach interviews for a job and doesn't get the job. Barnes did it with UVA but he was signed and sealed but PC would let him out of his contract at the time. Cooley came close but didn't get the job. We'll see if Leaman is at PC come July. I certainly hope so.

Comment

Which jobs are currently open? Don't remember if Edmonton hired anyone and Ottawa? Plenty could still happen between now and the draft however.

Comment

Working...
                                X