Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    The shuttle is going to be really nice. After reading about all of the festivities, I'm looking forward to next weekend even more. Should be really fun. I just wish Johnny Holm was Friday night instead of Thursday. Then we'd have ourselves an old fashioned hootenany!!!
    Make sure to have the cold gear with!

Friday: High of -3 F, low of -18 F
    Saturday: High of -4 F, low of -15 F.

No snow in the forecast, and hopefully the wind isn't blowing.

Enjoy the festivities! Wish I could make it, but the kiddo has hockey stuff going on here that day as well.
    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Not sure of the interest given the BG angle, but here’s a link to Ryan Vallon’s interview with Gary Kruzich. In addition to reliving hockey in the 80’s he talks about Tech and living in Houghton.

https://soundcloud.com/ryan-vallon/g...nterview-11119

Comment

Good Joe Shawhan show today. Seems like some frustration with message getting through to players, holding players accountable etc.

And Friday seems interesting. -18, will it even be played outside at that temp? I have to agree with Joe, bigger home advantage than normal with Bemidji getting to use the outdoor ice this week and prepare for how to keep their players warm.

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
          I have to agree with Joe, bigger home advantage than normal with Bemidji getting to use the outdoor ice this week and prepare for how to keep their players warm.
          Joe should take the boys to the Grove for practice.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Good Joe Shawhan show today. Seems like some frustration with message getting through to players, holding players accountable etc.

And Friday seems interesting. -18, will it even be played outside at that temp? I have to agree with Joe, bigger home advantage than normal with Bemidji getting to use the outdoor ice this week and prepare for how to keep their players warm.
            They've played HDM in colder temps than that, so I'd expect it to happen as planned.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
              Not sure of the interest given the BG angle, but here’s a link to Ryan Vallon’s interview with Gary Kruzich. In addition to reliving hockey in the 80’s he talks about Tech and living in Houghton.

https://soundcloud.com/ryan-vallon/g...nterview-11119
              Interesting interview with former BGSU goalie and 1984 National Champion.Enjoyed listening to it and how he talks about how the game has changed over the years. Funny parts were about chopping guys while in his crease, didn't care about the high scoring affairs....as long as you won, about not watch film about what you did wrong, (you knew what you did wrong, didn't have to watch it twice). Great interview, worth the 13:00 to listen to it.
              Last edited by Wi.Huskies Fan; 01-14-2019, 02:58 PM.
              MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
              2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Should have started practicing outside 5 weeks in advance of an outdoor game like Patricia.

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post
                  Should have started practicing outside 5 weeks in advance of an outdoor game like Patricia.
                  Usually the ice surface in an outside game is lousy, but I wonder how the cold will affect the rink. Will the zamboni even operate at the temps we are looking at? Could it be the water freezes before it gets spread?
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    Usually the ice surface in an outside game is lousy, but I wonder how the cold will affect the rink. Will the zamboni even operate at the temps we are looking at? Could it be the water freezes before it gets spread?
                    When it gets too cold it’s possible for the ice to start cracking. I wouldn’t be shocked if they just scrape in between periods.
                    Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

If -18 temp + wind chills, for the safety of all move the game back inside.

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                        When it gets too cold it’s possible for the ice to start cracking. I wouldn’t be shocked if they just scrape in between periods.
                        When I was a kid in New England we practiced outside. The school could only afford ice once per week, so we shoveled off the local pond and we practiced there the rest of the time. When it was super cold, like near zero, the ice made a lot more snow than if it was warmer, though you tended to go faster also. Usually my toes was what suffered most because I liked to have my skates very tight. I also wore a balaclava under my helmet.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

We play outdoors for our youth program here in Willow, AK. Our cutoff for practice is -5 but we've skated down to -10. That's for 8u so grown men should be able to handle -20, but the quality of the game will suffer for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrum Bucket View Post
                            We play outdoors for our youth program here in Willow, AK. Our cutoff for practice is -5 but we've skated down to -10. That's for 8u so grown men should be able to handle -20, but the quality of the game will suffer for sure.
                            Its not going to help anything that its going to be 7pm in the dark, hopefully its calm.
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                              If -18 temp + wind chills, for the safety of all move the game back inside.
                              The wind chill for HDM 2008 was -50, and they played outdoors. Everyone survived just fine. This one will be outside too.
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                                The wind chill for HDM 2008 was -50, and they played outdoors. Everyone survived just fine. This one will be outside too.
                                I will say this...I'm glad my original plans for this weekend aren't happening...
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X