X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2nd Term Part VIII - The Thin Red Line

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    And you have an unhealthy preoccupation with events that happened 20-60 years ago.

I know my views on the South and the Civil War are not mainstream. However, I think many of the problems that exist today are because the South wasn't humbled the way they should have been after they collectively committed treason against this country. As former Congressman Tom Allen told us after the 2004 election: It's time to reexamine Lincoln's place in history...he had a chance to let the Southern states leave and he blew it. (said tongue in cheek)

"Not mainstream?" I'd say you've revealed yourself to be several orders of magnitude beyond "mainstream." Here's an idea: It's not too late to have Nuremburg-style war crimes tribunals for rebel descendants. We could start by indicting the relatives of the more than 1,000 blacks who owned slaves as of the outbreak of the war. If only to make certain they're not included on any future list of "victims" of slavery who are due "reparations".

Just for the record: we're talking about your ante bellum obsessions here. My attitudes on anything don't justify or explain your desire to have imposed a Carthaginian Peace on the south. Your persistent efforts to change the subject reveal just how weak and demented you realize your arguments are.
    Last edited by Old Pio; 06-02-2014, 05:49 AM.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

So, the liberal left now wishes Lincoln had let the South secede 150 years ago, but defends the military force used to prevent the South from leaving, considers the South's killing of Union soldiers treasonous, even though it was done not in the name of aggression or occupation of the north, but to divorce itself from a portion of the country with which it had nothing in common, which the liberal left wishes would have occurred?
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        So, the liberal left now wishes Lincoln had let the South secede 150 years ago, but defends the military force used to prevent the South from leaving, considers the South's killing of Union soldiers treasonous, even though it was done not in the name of aggression or occupation of the north, but to divorce itself from a portion of the country with which it had nothing in common, which the liberal left wishes would have occurred?
        It was a joke. Hence the term "tongue in cheek."

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          He is a NoDak fan, their sense of humor died when Panzer lost the Hobey
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            He is a NoDak fan, their sense of humor died when Panzer lost the Hobey
            Don't get us started!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              I read your parenthetical, and I understand the phrase "tongue in cheek." I was just trying to figure out your stance here. The South wanted to leave. Although it's fun to joke about letting them, Lincoln really did have a good idea to try to hold the union together. But only if we "sufficiently humble" them?

I'll guess we'll see how that works out. Putin is giving it a shot right now.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                I don't defend the military force at all. Texas wants to leave now and I say, "don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out."

Lincoln should be reevaluated.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                  I read your parenthetical, and I understand the phrase "tongue in cheek." I was just trying to figure out your stance here. The South wanted to leave. Although it's fun to joke about letting them, Lincoln really did have a good idea to try to hold the union together. But only if we "sufficiently humble" them?
                  That about sums it up. Stonewall Jackson and his ilk should be no more honored and respected by school children than Timothy McVeigh.

Comment

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/03/us...al-source.html

I figure this belongs in this thread rather than the SCotUS thread. I become increasingly disturbed by this administration's lack of Constitutional awareness.

Between the drone attacks on US citizens overseas, the massive overreach by the NSA, and the unprecedented attack on the press (eight subpoenas in six years compared to three in the 232 year preceding it).
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      I become increasingly disturbed by this administration's lack of Constitutional awareness... the unprecedented attack on the press (eight subpoenas in six years compared to three in the 232 year preceding it).
                      Say what you want about the policy of shield laws for reporters and the lack of one at the Federal level, isn't the fact that the Fourth Circuit upheld the subpoena and SCOTUS denied cert fairly strong evidence that the gov't is acting constitutionally?

Comment

If you want to view at that way, sure.

Personally, I think the SCOTUS over the last 15-20 years has been slowly chopping away at the basic tenets of the constitution. I vehemently disagree with the idea that a journalist should be able to be compelled by the government to reveal his or her source.
                        Code:
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Personally, I think the SCOTUS over the last 15-20 years has been slowly chopping away at the basic tenets of the constitution. I vehemently disagree with the idea that a journalist should be able to be compelled by the government to reveal his or her source.
                          I do as well, but if the law says they can would you expect a prosecutor NOT to do it? And how does this figure into the umbrella of our president supposedly acting outside the Constitution? SCOTUS says its within the rules.

Comment

The administration had directed the justice system to not pursue marijuana violations in a number of states despite them having the authority to do just that.

Not sure about the second part of your question. But I think it goes back to the point I made above. The president is well within his authority to not "violate" the constitution. It just goes back to whether or not they respect the spirit of the constitution.
                            Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              The administration had directed the justice system to not pursue marijuana violations in a number of states despite them having the authority to do just that.

Not sure about the second part of your question. But I think it goes back to the point I made above. The president is well within his authority to not "violate" the constitution. It just goes back to whether or not they respect the spirit of the constitution.
                              Oh, I see. As Dickie Dunn would say, "It's the spirit of the thing."

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Even before 9-11, the 4th Amendment was reduced to poor stepchild status.

Comment

Working...
                                X