Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Mass Shooting: It's Those Darn Video Games!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Another Mass Shooting: It's Those Darn Video Games!

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
    Proposal to become law; some details I'm sure need to be ironed out, but here goes (and this is only part of what I desire in reform).

For Manufacturers:
    As of June 1, 2019, whatever you are currently producing, you can continue to produce. However, any new designs/new guns in the works, all those plans must be scrapped.
    You cannot enhance the weapons in production as far as performance. You can enhance safety features, however.
    If you currently offer options for magazine size, the smallest one becomes the only option for purchase. (Model X can have a 9-, 15-, or 20-round mag, so 9-round stays, the rest go).
    You can enhance weapons cosmetically (pearl handles, gold-plated, My Little Pony themed, etc), as long as the performance is not enhanced.

All of the above will be termed "Factory Standard." I chose a past date, so the manufacturers cannot change a bunch of stuff at the last minute to skirt the new regulations.

Now, for the gun owners/buyers:
    ANY after-market modification is now illegal, cosmetic or otherwise. Whatever you bought from the manufacturer/shop/etc, that's how it's going to be, period. No exceptions (which eliminates all the what-ifs and what-abouts).
    If you have a modified gun, which includes larger than Factory Standard magazines, you must revert your weapon back to Factory Standard specs.
    If you cannot revert, weapon must be surrendered.***
    Punishment (and I'm open for suggestions):
    $1000/per weapon AND 100 hours of community service in a year's time.
    $1000-$5000 AND 100 hours of community service in a year's time.

The reason for those punishments, is there's a better chance of getting the money, prisons are too crowded, so make them improve the community they live in.

***Now, about surrendering the weapon. Here's the chance for a buyback/exchange, etc. The manufacturers could score big points on this if they offer to take in the modified weapon, and replace it with the same/equivalent non-modified weapon. No one loses their guns, Factory Standard makes each model uniform in performance.

The above requires everyone to give a little, and they also get a little back. You now have limits on clip sizes, performance mods are gone, no "bigger better faster" gun will be produced (at least for the public; armed forces are obviously a different story).
    You say no alteration, cosmetic or otherwise. Do you include optics? The "pimp your firearm" section is quite large in most outlets...

Not nit-picking... Just some common sense things that I would contend from a hunter's perspective.
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
      don't give her an assault rifle for Christmas?
      Imagine never sitting down with your child to discuss the Castle Doctrine.

Comment

Here's my law.

Background checks are mandatory for all sales and transfers even if in family. If you get caught you get arrested. This is a Gross misdemeanor.
        Your gun must be registered and licensed.
        If your gun that is registered to you is used to murder anyone you will be arrested and prosecuted for murder.

All semi-automatic guns, pistols, whatever are now banned. The police department will buy them back from you. You have 6 months to turn them over. If you are caught with a semi-automatic anything you will be prosecuted. This is a FELONY. You will have a felony conviction on your record.

If you get caught with an unregistered gun that is also a FELONY. You will be prosecuted.

No exceptions.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
          You say no alteration, cosmetic or otherwise. Do you include optics? The "pimp your firearm" section is quite large in most outlets...

Not nit-picking... Just some common sense things that I would contend from a hunter's perspective.
          Any cosmetic altering must be done before purchase, and done by the manufacturer. I meant what I said about ZERO mods after a gun is purchased.

Scooby: I'd say that's the MINIMUM for background checks. Also, if you can prove the gun was stolen from you, you're good. Otherwise, yeah, you're done (I would not limit this to just murder, either. I'd say any crime where a gun was used/displayed as a threat/etc). I still disagree with you on the semi-autos, though.

I'd add that ANY conviction of a violent offense, even if you got into a bar fight or something, no gun for you.

Unregistered guns/ghost guns? Felony, yup.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Any cosmetic altering must be done before purchase, and done by the manufacturer. I meant what I said about ZERO mods after a gun is purchased.

Scooby: I'd say that's the MINIMUM for background checks. Also, if you can prove the gun was stolen from you, you're good. Otherwise, yeah, you're done (I would not limit this to just murder, either. I'd say any crime where a gun was used/displayed as a threat/etc). I still disagree with you on the semi-autos, though.

I'd add that ANY conviction of a violent offense, even if you got into a bar fight or something, no gun for you.

It would not be difficult to provide an affirmative defense by which the gun owner could be charged but would have the burden of proving the gun was stolen despite reasonable efforts to keep it secure.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
              It would not be difficult to provide an affirmative defense by which the gun owner could be charged but would have the burden of proving the gun was stolen despite reasonable efforts to keep it secure.
              I would be of the opinion that if your gun was stolen, you'd report it to the police. IF I had a gun, I'd check to make sure it's in its safe when I leave for work (or wherever) and check again when I got home. If I had it on my person, that would mean I got mugged, and I would report that to the police. There is now a paper trail.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                Here's my law.

Background checks are mandatory for all sales and transfers even if in family. If you get caught you get arrested. This is a Gross misdemeanor.
                If your gun that is registered to you is used to murder anyone you will be arrested and prosecuted for murder.

All semi-automatic guns, pistols, whatever are now banned. The police department will buy them back from you. You have 6 months to turn them over. If you are caught with a semi-automatic anything you will be prosecuted. This is a FELONY. You will have a felony conviction on your record.

If you get caught with an unregistered gun that is also a FELONY. You will be prosecuted.

No exceptions.
                Ammo sales require a matching registration

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                  I live where there are animals in the countryside that see you as a threat (in the case of momma moose), or prey*. That's why I carry.
                  Lol

That’s pretty pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                    Ammo sales require a matching registration
                    Good call. I agree.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      Good call. I agree.
                      I'd be on board with that.

Comment

Fair enough. This is a strong hit on the hunting community however. Optics are sold separately and added after the fact. Also different situations could require different scopes on the same firearm. Also, you are getting rid of "combo" shotguns (traditional & slug barrels). And what about changing of a choke on a shotgun? These are all very common occurrences on hunting firearms.

This is what I'm talking about when people start throwing ideas out there and they take out the segment of gun owners that are probably the most careful and law abiding of the entire population. Yet Johnny the Peener Enhancer can still wave his .357 like the badass that he thinks he is...

Here's my law.

No exceptions.
                        What about semi-automatic hunting firearms? Semi-auto shotguns are becoming more and more common among hunters. Specifically older hunters (boomers). They carry less recoil and are simpler to use. Yes, it's that scary "semi-automatic" term. But again, you take out the most careful, law-abiding group of gun owners while only doing minimal damage to the penile enhancement crowd.

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                          Fair enough. This is a strong hit on the hunting community however. Optics are sold separately and added after the fact. Also different situations could require different scopes on the same firearm. Also, you are getting rid of "combo" shotguns (traditional & slug barrels). And what about changing of a choke on a shotgun? These are all very common occurrences on hunting firearms.

This is what I'm talking about when people start throwing ideas out there and they take out the segment of gun owners that are probably the most careful and law abiding of the entire population. Yet Johnny the Peener Enhancer can still wave his .357 like the badass that he thinks he is...

What about semi-automatic hunting firearms? Semi-auto shotguns are becoming more and more common among hunters. Specifically older hunters (boomers). They carry less recoil and are simpler to use. Yes, it's that scary "semi-automatic" term. But again, you take out the most careful, law-abiding group of gun owners while only doing minimal damage to the penile enhancement crowd.
                          I don't care about hunters. If they cared they would have revolted against the NRA over 20 years ago. No. They sat there and watched this happen. Time to take the toys away.

Comment

I don't care about hunters. If they cared they would have revolted against the NRA over 20 years ago. No. They sat there and watched this happen. Time to take the toys away.
                            Preach, brother.

Bow hunt.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Except that hunters as a whole haven't associated with the NRA for 30+ years now. If you take them out, you also lose a significant portion of the people fighting for environmental protection, especially in the Western US (another thing that you post "jfc" about whenever this administration does something stupid). Don't cut off your nose to spite your face...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                Preach, brother.

Bow hunt.
                                My family switched to that about a decade ago

Comment

Working...
                                X