This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

It's still early but looking at KRACH, Maine is 16th on the 31st best schedule while Northeastern is 38th on the 53rd best schedule. The Black Bears are the top-ranked team in Hockey East.

Maine's upcoming schedule:
    @ 38 Northeastern (2)
    @ 55 St Lawrence (2)
    @ 24 UMass (2)
    @ 53 Yale
    vs 40 AIC

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
      It's still early but looking at KRACH, Maine is 16th on the 31st best schedule while Northeastern is 38th on the 53rd best schedule. The Black Bears are the top-ranked team in Hockey East.

Maine's upcoming schedule:
      @ 38 Northeastern (2)
      @ 55 St Lawrence (2)
      @ 24 UMass (2)
      @ 53 Yale
      vs 40 AIC
      And Maine is #12 in the PWR. Only BC (#11) is ranked higher re: HEA teams.

But, as you state, the season is young.

I'd predict at least some success at SLU and NU (with sweeps a possibility), a tough weekend in Amherst, but the Yale and AIC games look like wins as of now.
      Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-19-2019, 05:43 PM.

Comment

It's been a long time since I've seen such optimism from this group. It's great to see. In Boston, we have learned to temper our enthusiasm about hot starts. Way back circa 1980, we won our first 10 games. Then we lost one, won one, and lost the last 15. Of course, SI did an early article about the team's remarkable start following a truly dismal season. Proved that a team needn't be on the covered to feel their curse! Then there was 2015-16 when we didn't win a game until after Thanksgiving in Belfast. Suddenly we got hot, ran the table and won the HEA tourney. This is a screwball business that "quants" think they have solved. They would be better served by applying their wit and wisdom to the stock market.

In any event, it's great to see posts full of optimism and with out the "Red" ink. I'd like nothing better than to see our teams meet in the finals in March. For this weekend, I'll be reasonably happy with split. I think we'll take the first game. You'll get your revenge on Saturday - or the other way around.
        Last edited by HHound; 11-19-2019, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Im still in wait and see mode but I appreciate what the team has done so far. Great start compared to what I thought would happen.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
            Im still in wait and see mode but I appreciate what the team has done so far. Great start compared to what I thought would happen.

It is hard not to be in the wait and see mode. If I got this right Maine has gone 2-13-1 against NU during the Gendron era. Twice NU knocked Maine out of hockey east playoffs. Having said all this, I don’t have another mode to go to anyways. I always wait and see.

Comment

• Originally posted by HHound View Post
              I noticed the similarity in the "Tales of the Tape", but I was surprised that UMO had played a stronger schedule (RPI-ly speaking). I don't doubt your math. What I missed was the fact that two teams that we thought would be strong, Union and especially St. Cloud, have terrible records at this point. We visited both teams and went 3-1 based more on our D than anything else. Then we went 2-3 against UMass and PC, which are strong teams. Ties against Merrimack and Holy Cross sabotaged our numbers. Fortunately, we are starting to come out of our offensive fog with 5 goals +2 ENs againt Providence. This weekend should be very competitive, as both teams have strong goaltending and Maine seems to have one or two potent lines this season.

BlackI - Apology accepted, of course. Get in touch with me if you would like a tour of Matthews before the game on Friday. We should have an interesting conversation. Maine is my second favorite place, as I have a house in Lyman on a pond full of compliant bass and a few trout.
              Thanks for the invite, hopefully I’ll be watching on tv. Kids in sports.

Comment

Same way I feel. I think the upcoming schedule is the worst possible scenario where Maine is playing teams that are decent but aren’t highly ranked. Good chance Maine’s pairwise will be a lot lower three weeks from tonight.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Same. That they have a shot to even get to the Garden is something. Swayman for Hobey

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                  43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                  104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                  3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                    It is hard not to be in the wait and see mode. If I got this right Maine has gone 2-13-1 against NU during the Gendron era. Twice NU knocked Maine out of hockey east playoffs. Having said all this, I don’t have another mode to go to anyways. I always wait and see.
                    Depending on how plastered you are on a given night.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Comment

I might be a drunk’d... but I’m about the best drunk’d you have ever seen. 🤣😎✌️

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                          Same way I feel. I think the upcoming schedule is the worst possible scenario where Maine is playing teams that are decent but aren’t highly ranked. Good chance Maine’s pairwise will be a lot lower three weeks from tonight.
                          Huh?

Maine has a pretty soft schedule coming up, by any reasonable metric. They need to make hay while the sun shines during these next few weeks. There isn't a single team on the docket that should scare anyone who believes that Maine is for real, outside of UMass in Amherst.

(The "for real" stipulation is a key point, of course.)

Comment

Huh?

Maine has a pretty soft schedule coming up, by any reasonable metric. They need to make hay while the sun shines during these next few weeks. There isn't a single team on the docket that should scare anyone who believes that Maine is for real, outside of UMass in Amherst.

I was thinking the same as you. Northeastern is decent, but beatable; St. Lawrence is a bottom-feeder; Massachusetts does look scary, and Yale is 1-5 to this point and were blown out by Harvard and Cornell, the two realest teams theyve played. Im admittedly drinking the Kool-Aid a bit so far, and I think 4-3 is a realistic expectation, maybe even 5-2.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                              I was thinking the same as you. Northeastern is decent, but beatable; St. Lawrence is a bottom-feeder; Massachusetts does look scary, and Yale is 1-5 to this point and were blown out by Harvard and Cornell, the two realest teams theyve played. Im admittedly drinking the Kool-Aid a bit so far, and I think 4-3 is a realistic expectation, maybe even 5-2.
                              5-2 would be good with me, too, all things considered. And Maine would still be in the hunt.

Comment

Huh?

St. Lawrence should be easy, but those are also their first games back in their arena and I’m sure they’ll be fired up. Where they are ranked so low any slip up will kill Maine. Northeastern is ranked pretty low, in the thirties last I checked, but they’re not horrible and Maine always struggles at Matthews. I’d be happy with a split there but that probably hurts Maine in the pairwise. I’d snap someone’s hand off if they offered me even a point in Amherst. All in all I think there is much more to be lost than gained and even if Maine goes say 4-2-1 they’re behind where they are now.
                                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Working...
                                X