Ak/uaa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ak/uaa

Do WCHA league officials have back up schedules made up if one or both of the Alaska schools fold?
    LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

• Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
      Do WCHA league officials have back up schedules made up if one or both of the Alaska schools fold?
      Yes.

From the Star Tribune of all places...
      Men’s Commissioner Bill Robertson said the conference is preparing for the upcoming season while keeping an eye on the developments in Alaska.

“We are monitoring that situation closely with both the administration and athletic departments at Anchorage and Fairbanks and have stayed in close touch on that,” Robertson said. “What we’re told right now is we need to prepare for the start of the year, and that’s what we’re doing. We can’t prognosticate what is going to play out.”

With that in mind, Robertson said the conference also has made contingency plans for the 2019-20 season. “We’ve worked on the potential for new schedules should one or either team not be able to compete, but it’s our hope and plan that both Anchorage and Fairbanks will be playing in the WCHA this year,” Robertson said. “This is a real fluid situation.
      Hope every University booked refundable flights...
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

The Anchorage Daily News is reporting:
        "A couple of options for absorbing deep cuts are being considered, including one that would require $50 million worth of cuts at UAA for fiscal year 2020. On Thursday, UAA chancellor Cathy Sandeen released a plan that would include a $4 million cut to athletics. “Please note these are not final decisions,” Sandeen wrote."

That is $4 M cut out of $12 M athletic budget. If I understand, these would be cuts for NEXT year's budget. I suppose that this year's athletic budget continues. So UAA hockey looks safe for this year...but next year ???

If you have to trim $4M, dropping the expensive hockey team gets you "farther faster". I found a document that says the net cost of hockey (expenses minus income) is around $1.5 M. So you still have to trim another $2.5 M. But dropping men's hockey gets UAA down to the NCAA d2 minimum of 10 sports, so there are no more sports that can be dropped. I'm not sure it's possible to cut another $2.5 M and still have an NCAA d2 athletic program in Anchorage. The only hope would be the "combined" model with UAF: 5 sports in Anchorage & 5 sports in Fairbanks including hockey.

https://www.adn.com/sports/uaa-athle...uncertainties/
        https://www.uaa.alaska.edu/about/adm...ly-24-2019.pdf

Comment

I don't think that the combined model is going to fly with the NCAA. They didn't sound enthusiastic about it last time.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

• If you have to trim $4M, dropping the expensive hockey team gets you "farther faster". I found a document that says the net cost of hockey (expenses minus income) is around $1.5 M. So you still have to trim another $2.5 M. But dropping men's hockey gets UAA down to the NCAA d2 minimum of 10 sports, so there are no more sports that can be dropped. I'm not sure it's possible to cut another $2.5 M and still have an NCAA d2 athletic program in Anchorage. The only hope would be the "combined" model with UAF: 5 sports in Anchorage & 5 sports in Fairbanks including hockey.
            I completely agree...the only hope for hockey to survive is a single team in a combined system. 1 trip a year to Alaska is something the WCHA7 might well agree to accept especially if UAH can find a new home.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
              I don't think that the combined model is going to fly with the NCAA. They didn't sound enthusiastic about it last time.

GFM
              I think its disappointing that an exception can't be made for a State like Alaska...but they've managed to not do it this long so idk...
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I imagine the NCAA would have a pretty easy "out" to not allow a combined AK athletics program split across two campuses. "If Hawaii can do it, AK will need to play within the current rules as well..."

If the politicians stuck to their guns and don't provide another solution other than these drastic academic cuts, I don't see any way athletics survives at one or both schools. As was noted above, just cutting the big dollar sports isn't the answer because you need to replace them with other sports to have the minimum number of sports.

I think it is sad that one campus (or both) could potentially lose athletics because for most students, that's a big part of the college experience. However without a collegiate athletics program, is it any different than attending a community college where everything is club teams? Are you going to school for a degree or for the fun times? Hopefully athletics at one school could be saved. If you just want a degree, go to no frills UA1... if you want the full blown university experience with way higher tuition and some sports teams that need to be supported without the government's help, then you enroll at UA2.
                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

More info here:

WCHA's uncertainty grows with Alaska teams' increasingly dire situation
                  http://www.startribune.com/wcha-s-un...ion/513192372/
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by MidWestMidMajor View Post
                    The Anchorage Daily News is reporting:
                    "A couple of options for absorbing deep cuts are being considered, including one that would require $50 million worth of cuts at UAA for fiscal year 2020. On Thursday, UAA chancellor Cathy Sandeen released a plan that would include a $4 million cut to athletics. “Please note these are not final decisions,” Sandeen wrote."

That is $4 M cut out of $12 M athletic budget. If I understand, these would be cuts for NEXT year's budget. I suppose that this year's athletic budget continues. So UAA hockey looks safe for this year...but next year ???
                    No, the FY2020 budget is for this school year, running from July 2019 through June 2020. Therefore the proposed cuts would affect the upcoming school year.

Originally posted by MidWestMidMajor View Post
                    If you have to trim $4M, dropping the expensive hockey team gets you "farther faster". I found a document that says the net cost of hockey (expenses minus income) is around $1.5 M. So you still have to trim another $2.5 M. But dropping men's hockey gets UAA down to the NCAA d2 minimum of 10 sports, so there are no more sports that can be dropped. I'm not sure it's possible to cut another $2.5 M and still have an NCAA d2 athletic program in Anchorage. The only hope would be the "combined" model with UAF: 5 sports in Anchorage & 5 sports in Fairbanks including hockey.
                    The $4 million in cuts from the $12 million is for total expenses, so based on the 2017-18 athletic budget cutting hockey would save the school about $2.33 million, ove half the $4 million. However, as I have previously posted, I believe that the school would have to honor all scholarships offered to incoming freshman who signed NLIs. I'm not sure for returning players, but for 2017-18 the school gave out $545 thousand in aid, which if honored would drop the savings to around $1.8 million.

BTW, the net loss for the hockey program for 2017-18 was $1.94 million when institutional support counted as revenue was excluded.

As for sports teams, according to how the NCAA counts them UAA currently has 13, so the could drop hockey and two other teams. You also have to remember that the school needs to try and stay in Title IX compliance and cutting hockey would swing the participant proportion towards the women, so you could cut one women's sport's team, likely volleyball ($693 thousand overall, $486 thousand if all scholarships are honored). The rest could come from laying off general support staff expenses ($1.7 million) and trimming team and general athletic budgets.

From the article about the gymnast it appears UAA may not be honoring some or all scholarships. If the school offered no athletic aid it would save about $2.97 million and all teams might be able to survive by trimming budgets and laying of some of the support staff. Of course it would also depend on whether or not the athletes who had been receiving aid remained at school and paid full tuition.

Sean
                    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                    BU Hockey highlights and extras
                    NCAA Hockey Financials
                    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Looking at the calendar, I'll guess fall sports at both campuses are safe. Or are they going to pull the volleyball team off the floor in the middle of a match?

Comment

Here is the latest ADN article on the budget:

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/educ...laska-funding/

I don't understand what the Governor is trying to pull now.

“The cuts would be applied to specific areas across the university, which would present an unprecedented restriction of the regents’ authority to allocate the legislature’s appropriations,” the statement said. “The university is still actively working with the legislature to achieve a reasonable budget.”
                        The exact funding cut proposed over two years is unclear. The document shows a reduction of nearly $85 million in the current fiscal year and a $38 million cut the following year. It says the total reduction from the management plan for fiscal year 2019 was $132.8 million.

The document also says: “Restoration of $38mm into FY2020 budget requires reductions to be confined to identified categories, i.e., overhead reductions may not be taken from non-research academic programs.”
                        It's not up to Dunleavy's administration to determine how the University spends their allocated money. This is the job of the Regents!! Ack!!!
                        Originally Posted by aparch
                        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Ak/uaa

I'm sure someone did this and mentioned it at one point but my understanding is that:

PSU would need 2 games if UAF is cut
                          Maine would need 2 games if UAA is cut
                          ASU, Maine, PSU would need 2 games if both are cut
                          Denver and Omaha are okay in all scenarios

WCHA Alaska Exemptions taken out means:
                          UAF cut means all WCHA teams are okay
                          UAA cut means all WCHA teams are okay except Lake Superior would have 2 extra games
                          UAF AND UAA cut means UAH, Bemidji State, Bowling Green are fine
                          Ferris would have 1 extra game
                          Lake Superior would have 4 extra games
                          Mich Tech, Minn State, Northern Mich would have 2 extra games each

By extra games I mean they no longer have the Alaska exemption so would they get a free pass or have to drop those extra OOC games?

Comment

Originally posted by Liveatjrl View Post
                            I'm sure someone did this and mentioned it at one point but my understanding is that:

PSU would need 2 games if UAF is cut
                            Maine would need 2 games if UAA is cut
                            ASU, Maine, PSU would need 2 games if both are cut
                            Denver and Omaha are okay in all scenarios

WCHA Alaska Exemptions taken out means:
                            UAF cut means all WCHA teams are okay
                            UAA cut means all WCHA teams are okay except Lake Superior would have 2 extra games
                            UAF AND UAA cut means UAH, Bemidji State, Bowling Green are fine
                            Ferris would have 1 extra game
                            Lake Superior would have 4 extra games
                            Mich Tech, Minn State, Northern Mich would have 2 extra games each

By extra games I mean they no longer have the Alaska exemption so would they get a free pass or have to drop those extra OOC games?
                            I have to think the NCAA would grant teams an exception. They scheduled games in good faith. It isn't like they were trying to hoodwink the NCAA or WCHA by trying to get extra games.

Comment

Chancellor White’s comments on UAF athletics.

https://news.uaf.edu/friday-focus-wh...letics-can-do/
                              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Ak/uaa

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                                I have to think the NCAA would grant teams an exception. They scheduled games in good faith. It isn't like they were trying to hoodwink the NCAA or WCHA by trying to get extra games.
                                I agree, I figured they might just let it slide this year but I'm curious about PSU/ASU/Maine being short 2 games. Maybe they'll allow them to play each other and maybe one of them replaces Lake Superior State in the catamount cup since they'd have 4 extra games.

Comment

Working...
                                X