Clear All

• Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

Norwich
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      Norwich
      No can do unless they move the entire athletic program to D2.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by McBain75 View Post
        I saw the part in Connolly and Hendrickson's season preview about a 12th team in Hockey East...Syracuse comes to mind, they have a women's program, but like anything else, always depends on donors coming up with the necessary start up cash. Everyone always says URI, but again, where's the desire and the cash...
        FWIW, I've been told by numerous Syracuse and URI alums over the years that both schools have repeatedly turned down offers to fund D1 men's hockey programs primarily because of opposition from entrenched basketball interests that don't want in-season revenue-producing competition. Title IX also an issue although less so at Syracuse, which already has a women's program.

That being said, I personally see Syracuse and URI as the only legitimate candidates to fill out HEA. QPac would merit serious consideration but I don't see it moving from a conference where it is in a position to be a perennial contender to being just another strong program in a conference with many strong programs. Holy Cross would work from a location standpoint (and still has some regional panache), but it's a Patriot League institution that does not appear interested in investing in varsity sports at the level it would take for hockey to become and remain competitive in HEA.

I'm not holding my breath on either Syracuse or URI so I'm fine with HEA staying at 11 teams. Arizona State will find a conference home if and when its planned new arena becomes a reality. In the meantime, they seem to be doing just fine as an independent.
        Last edited by Split-N; 10-05-2019, 10:36 AM.
        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
          FWIW, I've been told by numerous Syracuse and URI alums over the years that both schools have repeatedly turned down offers to fund D1 men's hockey programs primarily because of opposition from entrenched basketball interests that don't want in-season revenue-producing competition.
          The solution is simple: Just suck and you won't produce any revenue

Comment

Norwich
            Norwich would be the best candidate but with the new NCAA rules, it is a non starter
            Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

• Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
              Norwich would be the best candidate but with the new NCAA rules, it is a non starter
              Would love to see Norwich added. I can think of one team they’d be better than almost immediately!

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                Get one high-level genius in HE HQ to find a work-around. That person gets the commish's job. QED.
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Get one high-level genius in HE HQ to find a work-around. That person gets the commish's job. QED.
                  Based on the St. Thomas situation Norwich would have to get kicked out of the GNAC and then get invited to join a multi-sport DI conference. And it is still to be determined if that will work for St. Thomas.

Sean
                  Last edited by Sean Pickett; 10-05-2019, 07:25 PM.
                  Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                  Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                  BU Hockey highlights and extras
                  NCAA Hockey Financials
                  Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                  I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Is that the team that got booted for winning too much? Sign of the times.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      Is that the team that got booted for winning too much? Sign of the times.
                      Yes

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                      NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

The first fallout from Joe’s contract not being renewed has now occurred. Hockey East teams will not be participating in the 2020 Friendship Four in Belfast.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                        NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by DLG View Post
                          Probably not in the cards but Quinnipiac has been my first choice
                          Would expand the footprint more toward New York
                          they have televised games on cable in that region
                          Close and an outstanding hockey facility
                          QUINNIPIAC would be ideal...but do you think QU would want to leave ECAC..?

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                            The first fallout from Joe’s contract not being renewed has now occurred. Hockey East teams will not be participating in the 2020 Friendship Four in Belfast.
                            Personally, I'm very sorry to see this. I went over for the first one and had the time of my life. Games were well-attended (much bigger crowds than typical HEA games) and local fans were knowledgeable and appreciative. The few players I knew well enough to talk to thought it was an eye-opening experience. And then there was Rockies, the Mother of all Hockey Bars (run by a Canadian expat) on the ground floor of the arena.

Oh well, HEA's loss is apparently Atlantic Hockey's gain.
                            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                              Personally, I'm very sorry to see this. I went over for the first one and had the time of my life. Games were well-attended (much bigger crowds than typical HEA games) and local fans were knowledgeable and appreciative. The few players I knew well enough to talk to thought it was an eye-opening experience. And then there was Rockies, the Mother of all Hockey Bars (run by a Canadian expat) on the ground floor of the arena.

Oh well, HEA's loss is apparently Atlantic Hockey's gain.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post

Sean
                                Sean, sorry for asking what is prob a stupid q, but how does his leaving affect team selection? I'm not privvy to the tournaments history... We are going to this years F4 tourney and are really excited...glad we have this chance...
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X