X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New WCHA is dead

Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
    As far as the secret issue.....what were they supposed to do? Call up the Alaska AD and say "hey we are leaving the conference in two years to start a new conference with schools around us, you are not part of it, please don't tell the WCHA commish until we are ready to OK". The guy would have called the league the minute the call hung up.......
    Why didn't they want the commish to know? Why didn't they go through the WCHA governance structure when they started this. Be upfront about it to the full WCHA Board and Management Council. Listen to what the UA* schools have to say. It would have been the professional way to go about it. It wouldn’t have changed anything but it would have been the right thing to do. UAA and UAF could have been out anyway, but that's not justification for this action, or else their list may be too short. But at least the secrete seven are now aware more than ever of the character of those they’re crawling into bed with.

It will be interesting to see which teams become the "Handmaids" of the new F-U* conference.

Comment

Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
      \Which I know sucks for their fans, but it also sucked for the fans of St. Louis University and Illinois-Chicago and Wayne State and Kent State and Northern Arizona and US International etc..... all programs that tried and couldn't support D-1 hockey for one reason or another and some of those programs were thousands of miles away on their own and guess what, it didn't work then either.
      SLU hockey: 9 seasons
      UIC hockey: 15 years
      WSU hockey: 9 seasons
      KSU hockey: 12 seasons
      NAU hockey: 5 seasons
      USI hockey: 8 seasons
      Fair hockey: 6 in D-I; 22 in D-III
      Fin hockey: 8 seasons
      Iona hockey: 5 seasons in D-I; 22 in D-III

UAH hockey: 26 seasons in D-I (40 overall, counting club)
      BGSU hockey: 50 seasons in D-I (39 at the time they turned it around)

Absolutely BG pulled itself out of the mire, and it definitely did its own damage to get there. That's true of UAH, but twice now people have **** down our throats and told us to go find another league, with their schools fans talking about "how great a fit that UAH would make to [insert league name here]".

UAH to Atlantic Hockey is probably a non-starter for those schools. They rejected UAH in 2013. They'll probably reject us in the end.

What are we supposed to do, hold biscuit fundraisers and rally up fans to stand in the park across from the arena, literal dozens of fans that a kind journalist in me made into a throbbing, raving crowd of hundreds? We have exactly two NHL alumni.

But no, we're to just take our life and say, "Hockey just wasn't supposed to make it down there."

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
        Maybe the real problem is that all college hockey conferences have to have between 8 and 12 teams (practically speaking, not formally). That's not a wide enough range to allow any flexibility with conference alignments.
        Given the length of the season, the travel gulf between schools east and west of the Allegheny > Ohio > Mississippi rivers, economic disparity, and no NCAA-mandated scheduling, yep, that's the problem, Bob.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          amen...

Comment

i am sorry. this sucks for UAH.

...and hell, i like yous!

it was a survival move. coulda maybe been done better. sure.

but really, you are not out... you can either be ****y about it, or be pro-active.

what the 'magnificent seven' did was nothing short of amazing for having the balls. needed to be done.

its these kind of moves that gets things moving... and maybe nothing changes in the end.

GO TECH GOLD!

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
              Given the length of the season, the travel gulf between schools east and west of the Allegheny > Ohio > Mississippi rivers, economic disparity, and no NCAA-mandated scheduling, yep, that's the problem, Bob.

GFM
              It's a shame your last name doesn't start with a Y...

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
                i am sorry. this sucks for UAH.

...and hell, i like yous!

it was a survival move. coulda maybe been done better. sure.

but really, you are not out... you can either be ****y about it, or be pro-active.

what the 'magnificent seven' did was nothing short of amazing for having the balls. needed to be done.

its these kind of moves that gets things moving... and maybe nothing changes in the end.

GO TECH GOLD!
                But I don't know how to save a program!

GFM
                Last edited by gfmorris; 07-01-2019, 09:23 PM. Reason: Much better reply this time.
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                  Why didn't they want the commish to know? Why didn't they go through the WCHA governance structure when they started this. Be upfront about it to the full WCHA Board and Management Council. Listen to what the UA* schools have to say. It would have been the professional way to go about it. It wouldn’t have changed anything but it would have been the right thing to do. UAA and UAF could have been out anyway, but that's not justification for this action, or else their list may be too short. But at least the secrete seven are now aware more than ever of the character of those they’re crawling into bed with.

It will be interesting to see which teams become the "Handmaids" of the new F-U* conference.
                  I thought they want to go back to the new Chicken Chit H A
                  Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 07-01-2019, 10:30 PM.
                  Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                  UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                    What are we supposed to do, hold biscuit fundraisers...
                    I'm in for a dozen. Who do I make the check out to?

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                    But no, we're to just take our life and say, "Hockey just wasn't supposed to make it down there."

GFM
                    That's horsesh**. Southern hockey *does* work. Nashville and Dallas have proven that in the NHL. Atlanta was fu**ed over by their ownership group who couldn't even agree where to order lunch from. Gwinnett Gladiators are 10 years strong. The SPHL, ECHL, and CHL have all swung through and there have been stable South-Southeast teams in all those leagues.

UAH has done very well considering it was left for dead by the CCHA (which, I admit I agreed with at the time because the CCHA needed to get it's sh*t together (and we saw how that turned out)) but have been a welcomed addition in the new WCHA (but that's just my opinion).

It seems like the commitment is now there for UAH, just need to get earmarked funding to lock this down. I would love to see UAH in the New CCHA or WCHA 3.0 or GLIAC-HKY.

*Edit* For the record, I want UAA and UA_ to succeed as well and also be a part of the new league, but they seem to have a more difficult path after the legislative cuts.
                    Last edited by aparch; 07-01-2019, 10:29 PM.
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I guess I gotta go up to TN and win that lottery...

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
                        Which I know sucks for their fans, but it also sucked for the fans of St. Louis University and Illinois-Chicago and Wayne State and Kent State and Northern Arizona and US International etc..... all programs that tried and couldn't support D-1 hockey for one reason or another and some of those programs were thousands of miles away on their own and guess what, it didn't work then either.
                        I don’t have a polite way of saying what you can do with this opinion.

UAA, UA(F), and UAH _have_ been supporting D-I hockey. For decades.

Admittedly, attendance is down in all three as of late, but even in down years they draw more fans than about a quarter of the rest of the teams in the country, and in good times (not that long ago: I’ve tracked data back into the 90s) they could easily average 2000/night in Huntsville and around twice that at either Alaska school.

They can support hockey. The bigger problems in Huntsville and Anchorage have been owning their own rinks, and the economy in Anchorage and Huntsville.

All of those problems are solvable, it’s just a question of how long would it take and whether any of the parties involved (ranging from governments to universities to conference foes) will permit that.
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          \They can support hockey. The bigger problems in Huntsville and Anchorage have been owning their own rinks, and the economy in Anchorage and Huntsville.
                          Pardon? Our economy is doing well.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

GFM
                            Brain fart. I had Anchorage and Huntsville on loop in my brain from the earlier sentence.

Economy in Anchorage and Fairbanks.
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

GFM
                              There was a Huntsville article published that included comments from a “source close to UAH Hockey.”. I couldn’t have agreed more with the source.
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

'Member when the CCHA refused UAH b/c they thought BG was gonna fold. I 'member.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X