• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 55th Great Lakes Invitational

Monday 1pm - Michigan Tech vs Michigan State
    Monday 4pm - Michigan vs Ferris State

Tuesday 11:30am - Third Place Game
    Tuesday 2:30pm - Championship (Fox Sports Detroit)

The third place game can end in a tie after a 5:00 5x5 overtime (as it did last season), all others would go directly to a shootout after that 5:00 if no one scores.

Some fun stats:

Michigan Tech has played in 4 straight championship games without winning any. If that happens again, it would be the longest such streak in GLI history (and I can't think of any other tournament that would have anything longer).

Michigan State has not played in the championship game since 2014. That streak of 4 straight semifinal losses is the longest since the Spartans became an annual invitee.

Michigan has not played in the championship game since winning the 2015 tournament. That streak of 3 straight semifinal losses is their longest since a stretch of 5 straight from 1981-85.

Ferris State will appear in their 2nd ever GLI. They have yet to win a game in the tournament, losing 2-0 to Michigan in the semis and 4-2 to Tech in the third place game in the 50th GLI played in 2014.

The 4th team has won the last 3 championships. If Ferris were to extend that streak to 4, it would be the longest stretch in GLI history.

Michigan State and Michigan have played the third place game for three consecutive tournaments. Only 3 other times have the same two teams met three straight times on the second day (Tech vs MSU 82-84, MSU vs UM 93-95, MSU vs UM 97-99). Those all came in the title game, so this is the first such streak in the third place game.
    Last edited by John J. MacInnes; 12-27-2019, 10:46 AM.

Re: The 55th Great Lakes Invitational

Subplot: Will anyone from MSU or Michigan actually show up to watch their teams play?

I think it is long overdue for Tech to take over the tourney as sole hosts and make it three invites each year, at most ONE other from the state of Michigan each year. Going to a 4th Michigan team as the invite every year was the biggest mistake in the history of the GLI. I get that they want more local attendance, but there are plenty of other teams that can be invited that will draw more fans than Michigan or State put in the seats.
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

I'm going for the first time since it's been at the LCA. Looking forward to seeing the new arena and some college hockey. I'd have to say Tech is the slight favorite to win the tournament but none of the teams are very impressive to me. BUT State and Tech are currently in line for an at large NCAA bid so...
      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
        Only 3 other times have the same two teams met three straight times on the second day (Tech vs MSU 82-84, MSU vs UM 93-95, MSU vs UM 97-99).
        So, if Tech played MSU on the second day from 82-84, when did the tournament go to Tech alternating between MSU and UM on day one?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
          So, if Tech played MSU on the second day from 82-84, when did the tournament go to Tech alternating between MSU and UM on day one?

A very astute observation. It apparently started the next year in 1985. I'm going to surmise looking at the 4th teams in that era that Jim Nahrgang pushed to play UM first to have the best chance to advance.

Comment

I have seen multiple fan bases agree that the start times and dates for the GLI hurt the overall event.

I have a feeling this year will provide a lot of fun for the true hockey fans. This is a gem for us Tech fans, I know I will enjoy it regardless of the timing, although I would hope for some changes
            as well going forward.

The GLI championship should not be decided by a shootout due to timing, it must be moved away from a triple header with the Wings.
            With a year or two in advance to schedule, why cannot they work with the Pistons and Wings to not make this an afterthought.
            Hockey is gaining momentum all over the country and the world. Why diminish this great holiday tradition. Why not market the heck out of it.
            The 4th team should again look to bring in a more diverse invitee list. It was good to get all the Michigan teams in and all should be on the list, but staggered with other invites.
            The next 4-5 years should see invitations to a diverse group such as (Providence, UMass, Ohio State, Cornell, Harvard, Yale, Union, Umass Lowell, UMD, Miami, UND, BG) on the invite list.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
              I have seen multiple fan bases agree that the start times and dates for the GLI hurt the overall event.

I have a feeling this year will provide a lot of fun for the true hockey fans. This is a gem for us Tech fans, I know I will enjoy it regardless of the timing, although I would hope for some changes
              as well going forward.

The GLI championship should not be decided by a shootout due to timing, it must be moved away from a triple header with the Wings.
              With a year or two in advance to schedule, why cannot they work with the Pistons and Wings to not make this an afterthought.
              Hockey is gaining momentum all over the country and the world. Why diminish this great holiday tradition. Why not market the heck out of it.
              The 4th team should again look to bring in a more diverse invitee list. It was good to get all the Michigan teams in and all should be on the list, but staggered with other invites.
              The next 4-5 years should see invitations to a diverse group such as (Providence, UMass, Ohio State, Cornell, Harvard, Yale, Union, Umass Lowell, UMD, Miami, UND, BG) on the invite list.
              I mostly agree and I understand the problems with scheduling but if we have to do a game on a crummy night at least make it a weekend. Mid day during the week is tough if you are waiting for your dad to come home to take you.
              Second, I'd love to see more diverse. Maybe Miami? I don't think Ferris will bring very many fans. I liked having BG and I miss having big teams from the east come in. Such as Harvard or BU. I question if having a forth Michigan team really does help financially.
              I didn't like the unending ot games. I think 5 min ot and then 3x3 is fine. If you lose after 19 minutes of a 20 minute OT or even worse in a second OT and that counted as an NCAA loss, that is not all that good to me.
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

What is with the parking situation? I have been checking Park Whiz and they say parking is available near the pizzarena from noon until 5 pm on Monday but every lot nearby is sold out after that. The second game on Monday begins at 4 pm so my car needs to be there until 7:30 or so. Will they tow me out after 5 pm? Can't find a number to call to ask somebody.
                The certainties of life...Death, Taxes and bad B1G Referees.

Comment

Originally posted by umichjim View Post
                  What is with the parking situation? I have been checking Park Whiz and they say parking is available near the pizzarena from noon until 5 pm on Monday but every lot nearby is sold out after that. The second game on Monday begins at 4 pm so my car needs to be there until 7:30 or so. Will they tow me out after 5 pm? Can't find a number to call to ask somebody.
                  I'm planning to take Uber from the hotel. Cheaper than parking and the driver will be (hopefully) sober.

Comment

Originally posted by umichjim View Post
                    I'd park up the street somewhere and then take the tram.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post

as well going forward.

Little Caesars was a really, really big investment. As Ringo said, "I'm just happy to be here." This little hockey tournament could have easily been kicked to the side of the road.

Comment

Originally posted by model94 View Post
                        Little Caesars was a really, really big investment. As Ringo said, "I'm just happy to be here." This little hockey tournament could have easily been kicked to the side of the road.
                        The tournament has been kicked to the side of the road. At one point I had made it over 25 straight years and it was the highlight of the time between Christmas and New Years. Now, it is crammed into New Years Eve day. Little promotion, little coverage, a pre-noon start and a 2:30 final with a possible shootout? The GLI has definitely been taken down a couple of notches.

Comment

Originally posted by lawdoggies View Post
                          The tournament has been kicked to the side of the road. At one point I had made it over 25 straight years and it was the highlight of the time between Christmas and New Years. Now, it is crammed into New Years Eve day. Little promotion, little coverage, a pre-noon start and a 2:30 final with a possible shootout? The GLI has definitely been taken down a couple of notches.
                          But the Illichs want us to "just be happy to be here"

Comment

Originally posted by lawdoggies View Post
                            That's what happens when the NBA and WWF bring in more money..

Game day GO HUSKIES!

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
                              That's what happens when the NBA and WWF bring in more money..
                              Yep, the usual explanation is the NHL and the NBA. But the Pistons were on the road from Dec 27 thru Jan 8 and the Wings were on the road from Dec 23 thru Dec 30. So ... priority was given to events other than the GLI.

Comment

Working...
                              X