X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    Had a chance to tie with 30 secs left, INT, season over for Maine as far as playoffs are concerned
    How did the backup QB look to you?

Comment

He was a good runner but that int was a rookie mistake. I missed most of 2nd half.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

He was a good runner but that int was a rookie mistake. I missed most of 2nd half.

I missed the whole game. (Friggin' Dish crapped-out on me yet again.)

But this guy wasn't Maine's backup last year, and I hope he has a better arm than last year's sub. His numbers looked pretty good.

Comment

Kind of hard to watch

Comment

Id say alaska is over its jet lag. maine just gave them a 4 on 3

I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
              Id say alaska is over its jet lag. maine just gave them a 4 on 3

I listened on radio. Sounded like an exciting finish. Wondering if there was a large crowd? Hopefully that lifted fan spirits. Not often a Red team completes a sweep, so let’s enjoy it. I wasn’t expecting a sweep.

Comment

Friday attendance: 2975
                Saturday attendance: 2916

Comment

Had a chance to tie with 30 secs left, INT, season over for Maine as far as playoffs are concerned
                  A great opportunity for me to bring out my old hobby horse with Maine football:

If you don't play two FBS teams, you can get away with losing to two top 10 FCS teams plus losing a weird "our QB got injured" game.

If you play two FBS teams, and lose as expected, you have NO margin for error.

Comment

• highlights...
                    https://youtu.be/73P7XYGf178

Greenway looks like he tough to bring down. Helluva save by Swayman on that guy five feet out after recovering from the short side stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
                      A great opportunity for me to bring out my old hobby horse with Maine football:

If you don't play two FBS teams, you can get away with losing to two top 10 FCS teams plus losing a weird "our QB got injured" game.

If you play two FBS teams, and lose as expected, you have NO margin for error.
                      It really depends on the FBS opponents. With Connecticut in 2020, and Massachusetts in 2021, plus the MAC opponents in those years, you’re playing CAA-caliber teams with more guarantee money in the pocket. No different than playing a Top 10-15 FCS team on the road. More money, and the committee doesn’t punish for FBS losses.

Comment

Originally posted by dunbar View Post
                        It really depends on the FBS opponents. With Connecticut in 2020, and Massachusetts in 2021, plus the MAC opponents in those years, you’re playing CAA-caliber teams with more guarantee money in the pocket. No different than playing a Top 10-15 FCS team on the road. More money, and the committee doesn’t punish for FBS losses.
                        It doesn't punish, no. But if Maine goes 6-5 (realistic this year if they run the table and lose to Liberty) the reason Maine won't get in isn't because of the Liberty/Georgia Southern losses. The reason Maine won't get in is because they didn't also schedule Merrimack or LIU or Lafayette to get to 7-4.

Sure Maine COULD win those FBS games, maybe they do 1 or 2 out of 10. But Maine will beat a bad FCS school 9.5 times out of 10 and get credit for another win.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                          It doesn't punish, no. But if Maine goes 6-5 (realistic this year if they run the table and lose to Liberty) the reason Maine won't get in isn't because of the Liberty/Georgia Southern losses. The reason Maine won't get in is because they didn't also schedule Merrimack or LIU or Lafayette to get to 7-4.

Sure Maine COULD win those FBS games, maybe they do 1 or 2 out of 10. But Maine will beat a bad FCS school 9.5 times out of 10 and get credit for another win.
                          It's hard to do the math without the bottom-line available.

I watched Maine give Syracuse a game a few years ago, and I *think* that Maine received around 50K for showing-up.

That kind of money, 2X, could keep football solvent.
                          Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-13-2019, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                            It's hard to do the math without the bottom-line available.

I watched Maine give Syracuse a game a few years ago, and I *think* that Maine received around 50K for showing-up.

That kind of money, 2X, could keep football solvent.
                            Maine could get 20X that and football still won't be solvent.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                              Maine could get 20X that and football still won't be solvent.
                              I certainly don't know the accounting. Maybe the FCS games just offset the losses?

But, I'm pretty sure that hockey isn't making a dime these days, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                                I certainly don't know the accounting. Maybe the FCS games just offset the losses?

But, I'm pretty sure that hockey isn't making a dime these days, either.
                                Not anymore. The only sport on campus that occasionally makes a profit is women's basketball, depending on how many money games they play. Men's hoops is sometimes close, but hasn't turned a profit in years. Hockey was profitable until two or three years ago, but it went underwater and won't be back anytime soon. It's sad. As recently as 2011 Maine and UNH were the most profitable (public) hockey programs east of Michigan. No longer.

Comment

Working...
                                X