Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
    I agree. He looked great for Maine this second half(which is his first half). A lot of promise there. Unfortunately, he was undrafted... which means he could become a target like Keeper to leave early.
    I'm hoping Greenway works out. I would guess he's one and done if he's any good. It looks like he had a decent year for Dubuque, the only thing I found on Youtube is this: Link

I also expect more out of guys like Shea, Tralmaks, JSS and Dawe. I have no idea what to expect from Drobot, Gaudette or Breen. We'll see, loosing Keeper was a hit but Pearson wasn't totally unexpected. I just hope we don't loose more guys...

Comment

Originally posted by dogtagger View Post
      I'm hoping Greenway works out. I would guess he's one and done if he's any good. It looks like he had a decent year for Dubuque, the only thing I found on Youtube is this: Link

I also expect more out of guys like Shea, Tralmaks, JSS and Dawe. I have no idea what to expect from Drobot, Gaudette or Breen. We'll see, loosing Keeper was a hit but Pearson wasn't totally unexpected. I just hope we don't loose more guys...
      My opinion is Greenway is a step in from hockey sense. Need to make sure he gets his academics on straight.

And Bruneski is a converted center getting acolades for his defensive play. Seems like tough kid that can hold his own in his own end.

Then we have Sirota back. And Binner.

Then we have a question mark in my mind with Klaiboer. Not sure if he is big enough for that task, but he signed NLI.

I was hoping to see Gould come in next season. He has a bit better of a frame and that nasty chip, I believe.

We shall see, but the d is just about flushed. New blood. I'd like to see a couple more at homes to protect Swayman. See providence model.

Comment

I agree. He looked great for Maine this second half(which is his first half). A lot of promise there. Unfortunately, he was undrafted... which means he could become a target like Keeper to leave early.
        I think forecasting Sirota as an UFA early signing is a bit bullish at this juncture. Tralmaks is the one to keep an eye on for departing after his junior year. Binner an outside chance if he is able to put is total package together a la Renouf's junior year.
        UMaine Black Bears Recruit Info Site GO BLUE!!

Comment

Originally posted by dogtagger View Post

As always forecasting player impact on a new team, with new coaches, and new system can be tricky. A lot depends on what roles need to be filled. Greenway will fill more of the Holway role, which was sorely missing this year, and he was the best available option to do so. He has a tremendous amount of experience at high levels of competition and brings the combo of physicality and skill at the D position that Maine hockey fans have come to appreciate for decades. Wait for it....... At times he loses focus and takes bad penalties (cringe) which has certainly improved this past season in Dubuque, but still has room for additional improvement. He is in your face, trash talking, much like his brother who played at BU and always enjoyed "interacting" with the student section. I think we have a decent chance of keeping him for 2 years considering Toronto's depth will likely impede his progress at the pro level so he may be better suited taking the free agent route where he can find the best spot for his career.

Shea finally found his way to the center position where he makes more of an impact, but mired on the third line didn't allow him to showcase his skills. His faceoff circle work is something to marvel at.. between he and pearson i think they accounted for 75% of faceoff wins (unofficial conjecture) this year. He was big reason for Ryan Smith's offensive improvement this year. I don't feel Pat has always been used in the best role to highlight his abilities but rather his versatility has allowed him to fill needed roles on the roster - which always has tremendous value.

Although I am not privy to Dawe's medical records, i am greatly concerned about his concussion situation. Unfortunate that he is dealing with the situation he is dealing with. He missed time in juniors due to concussions and suffered another 2 this year. Very unfortunate. I wish the best for his health which obviously transcends the game. I hope he is able to fulfill his dream of competing in hockey at the highest level, but also hope that he places priority on his long term health.

Breen is the most offensively skilled player to be recruited to Orono since Devin Shore. His offensive game is very similar to Shore's in that he sees the ice, pushes the play, and looks to create for others in addition to get his own shot off. His two-way game is not at the same level as Shore's but is not to be overlooked either. With that being said he is not a defensive liability like Blaine Byron either and offensively does not look to create with extensive puck handling like Bryon did. Unlike Shore or Byron, Breen will be arriving a year earlier. Expectations are a line 2 or 3 LW role. He will likely be selected in the NHL draft this summer and easily falls in the upper echelon of Gendron era recruits (Pearson, Swayman, Holway) to arrive in Orono.

Drobot is future captain material. Hard worker with limited upside offensive potential, although can score when given the chance. Likely to provide improvement to our 4th line. Upside to develop into a reliable 3rd line winger by his senior year. If continues to improve and he is playing 4th line minutes his jr/sr seasons that would mean Maine has 4 line depth for the first time since '07. What do i mean by this? For me his role is an indicator of how well the team is doing, if he is a 3rd liner than depth is an issue, if he is a 4th liner than we have improved depth from top to bottom which is what it takes to compete in NCAA hockey today. Although not a flashy addition, I am excited for his addition, as he is the type of player in the right role that all winning teams must have.

Gaudette is not locked in for this fall. There is still one "open" forward position which could go to Gaudette or a graduate transfer from another university. For that reason, in my Roster Projection Table, I have left Gaudette in the following class with an indicator that he could arrive earlier. Farrell has the same indicator, for now, but he looks more likely to play one more year of juniors.

I hope this helps shed some insight on player & roster development. Although I don't write often but when I do it is often a tome lol!

Comment

My opinion is Greenway is a step in from hockey sense. Need to make sure he gets his academics on straight.

And Bruneski is a converted center getting acolades for his defensive play. Seems like tough kid that can hold his own in his own end.

Then we have Sirota back. And Binner.

Then we have a question mark in my mind with Klaiboer. Not sure if he is big enough for that task, but he signed NLI.

I was hoping to see Gould come in next season. He has a bit better of a frame and that nasty chip, I believe.

We shall see, but the d is just about flushed. New blood. I'd like to see a couple more at homes to protect Swayman. See providence model.
            My "WAAAAAAY to Early Defensive Pairing Projection"

Binner/Greenway
            Butala/Sirota
            VMT/Kleiboer
            Spicer or Bruneski (7th)

Kleiboer size is not an issue. he is actually bigger than his listed 165 (~175) which makes him a mountain compared to Adam Dawe lol. Gould is not ready for NCAA. He needs a year, maybe 2, of USHL/NAHL experience yet. He had a terrific season two years ago which had me extremely bullish on him even before he committed to Maine but this past season was not as positive as I would have hope for. Don't get me wrong he still had a good season and was still one of the best of Dmen in the SJHL. Much like Dallas Farrell two years ago Gould needs to move on to better competition to continue his development, otherwise he risks delaying his arrival by a year much like Farrell.

Comment

Ben Poisson is putting up one heck of a playoff performance for Prince George. In 9 games games he has put up 8G & 5A including a hat trick, including two goals on the PP, the other night (see article below) to lead the Spruce Kings into the BCHL semifinals after a convincing Round 2 sweep of Chilliwack. Ben has future "C" written all over him and will look to replace the Pearson role. Look for him to be competing for 2nd or 3rd line center position.

https://www.princegeorgematters.com/...hutout-1328820

Comment

• Originally posted by Bhall44 View Post
                Ben Poisson is putting up one heck of a playoff performance for Prince George. In 9 games games he has put up 8G & 5A including a hat trick, including two goals on the PP, the other night (see article below) to lead the Spruce Kings into the BCHL semifinals after a convincing Round 2 sweep of Chilliwack. Ben has future "C" written all over him and will look to replace the Pearson role. Look for him to be competing for 2nd or 3rd line center position.

https://www.princegeorgematters.com/...hutout-1328820
                Do you think Osadick, Morrisey, or Sasson will come in next season? Where do you see Roy fitting in?
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                  Do you think Osadick, Morrisey, or Sasson will come in next season? Where do you see Roy fitting in?
                  In addition to all UMaine recruit stats I maintain Roster Projection Table (and other information) at my UMaine Hockey Recruit Web Site (linked in my signature at bottom of all my posts). The roster projections lean conservative, meaning overwhelming evidence is typically needed to change a players projection. Indicator symbols are provided to give some indication of a given players future trajectory, if that makes sense. The individual tab is linked below.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1178582265

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                    Where do you see Roy fitting in?
                    A+ intangibles. Leader on and off the ice. Two way game is strong. Can play the C or W but look for him to slot in a 4th line center (or RW) freshman year allowing Quinlivan to move to natural W position. If he maintains he current development trajectory he should progress to 2nd line center. Offensive upside is somehwat limited but defensive game is fantastic. He is a pleasure to watch on the PK, a site that I hope we see only in limited viewings lol

Comment

BHall44, it sounds like you're actually reasonably bullish on the incoming freshman class, which is reassuring as Drew and I had both expressed concerns. Looking over the current and future roster though, it looks to me like Maine may be a bit weak down the middle; would you agree with this?

Comment

Originally posted by Bhall44 View Post
                        My "WAAAAAAY to Early Defensive Pairing Projection"

Binner/Greenway
                        Butala/Sirota
                        VMT/Kleiboer
                        Spicer or Bruneski (7th)

Kleiboer size is not an issue. he is actually bigger than his listed 165 (~175) which makes him a mountain compared to Adam Dawe lol. Gould is not ready for NCAA. He needs a year, maybe 2, of USHL/NAHL experience yet. He had a terrific season two years ago which had me extremely bullish on him even before he committed to Maine but this past season was not as positive as I would have hope for. Don't get me wrong he still had a good season and was still one of the best of Dmen in the SJHL. Much like Dallas Farrell two years ago Gould needs to move on to better competition to continue his development, otherwise he risks delaying his arrival by a year much like Farrell.
                        Put Bruneski in for Kleiboer, and sit VMT... replace with a steady at home. Then you have a decent set of pairings to work with.

Comment

As always forecasting player impact on a new team, with new coaches, and new system can be tricky. A lot depends on what roles need to be filled. Greenway will fill more of the Holway role, which was sorely missing this year, and he was the best available option to do so. He has a tremendous amount of experience at high levels of competition and brings the combo of physicality and skill at the D position that Maine hockey fans have come to appreciate for decades. Wait for it....... At times he loses focus and takes bad penalties (cringe) which has certainly improved this past season in Dubuque, but still has room for additional improvement. He is in your face, trash talking, much like his brother who played at BU and always enjoyed "interacting" with the student section. I think we have a decent chance of keeping him for 2 years considering Toronto's depth will likely impede his progress at the pro level so he may be better suited taking the free agent route where he can find the best spot for his career.

Shea finally found his way to the center position where he makes more of an impact, but mired on the third line didn't allow him to showcase his skills. His faceoff circle work is something to marvel at.. between he and pearson i think they accounted for 75% of faceoff wins (unofficial conjecture) this year. He was big reason for Ryan Smith's offensive improvement this year. I don't feel Pat has always been used in the best role to highlight his abilities but rather his versatility has allowed him to fill needed roles on the roster - which always has tremendous value.

Although I am not privy to Dawe's medical records, i am greatly concerned about his concussion situation. Unfortunate that he is dealing with the situation he is dealing with. He missed time in juniors due to concussions and suffered another 2 this year. Very unfortunate. I wish the best for his health which obviously transcends the game. I hope he is able to fulfill his dream of competing in hockey at the highest level, but also hope that he places priority on his long term health.

Breen is the most offensively skilled player to be recruited to Orono since Devin Shore. His offensive game is very similar to Shore's in that he sees the ice, pushes the play, and looks to create for others in addition to get his own shot off. His two-way game is not at the same level as Shore's but is not to be overlooked either. With that being said he is not a defensive liability like Blaine Byron either and offensively does not look to create with extensive puck handling like Bryon did. Unlike Shore or Byron, Breen will be arriving a year earlier. Expectations are a line 2 or 3 LW role. He will likely be selected in the NHL draft this summer and easily falls in the upper echelon of Gendron era recruits (Pearson, Swayman, Holway) to arrive in Orono.

Drobot is future captain material. Hard worker with limited upside offensive potential, although can score when given the chance. Likely to provide improvement to our 4th line. Upside to develop into a reliable 3rd line winger by his senior year. If continues to improve and he is playing 4th line minutes his jr/sr seasons that would mean Maine has 4 line depth for the first time since '07. What do i mean by this? For me his role is an indicator of how well the team is doing, if he is a 3rd liner than depth is an issue, if he is a 4th liner than we have improved depth from top to bottom which is what it takes to compete in NCAA hockey today. Although not a flashy addition, I am excited for his addition, as he is the type of player in the right role that all winning teams must have.

Gaudette is not locked in for this fall. There is still one "open" forward position which could go to Gaudette or a graduate transfer from another university. For that reason, in my Roster Projection Table, I have left Gaudette in the following class with an indicator that he could arrive earlier. Farrell has the same indicator, for now, but he looks more likely to play one more year of juniors.

I hope this helps shed some insight on player & roster development. Although I don't write often but when I do it is often a tome lol!
                          Well with these recruit endorsements I'm ready to buy the stock! 👍 Hope it plays out.

I suspect Dawe will not pan out due to concussions.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                            BHall44, it sounds like you're actually reasonably bullish on the incoming freshman class, which is reassuring as Drew and I had both expressed concerns. Looking over the current and future roster though, it looks to me like Maine may be a bit weak down the middle; would you agree with this?
                            I wouldn't say bullish or bearish more a "hold" vs. buy or sell lol. I think this is a strong class but certainly not one that pushes Maine to the upper echelon of hockey east next year (barring an out of this world performance by Swayman). I think this class is stacked with long term leaders of the program that will take over the leadership roles maintained by the Fossier/Perason class. Next year Maine is likely to make conference tournament but likely travel south. Ceiling is a 4th seed while the floor is 8th seed. If they miss the playoffs I would be expecting a "change of direction". Given the reliance on underclassmen I would be surprised to see the team come out of the gate strong and consistent and I will be watching closely how the team comes together by mid-Nov.

With the departure of Chase the team is likely to be stronger on the outside than up the middle, however, from a long term perspective I do expect Poisson & Roy to develop into strengths. If Dawe is healthy, right wing, in particular, looks to be a strength. For example, with a proper centermen Ryan Smith is a phenomenal 4th line RW vs. an average 3rd RW. As a fan i focus in on the relationship of player development to roster development and combinations like these are a great indicator of likely team performance.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                              Well with these recruit endorsements I'm ready to buy the stock! 👍.
                              Best to probably keep it at a Hold at this point lol

Comment

I wouldn't say bullish or bearish more a "hold" vs. buy or sell lol. I think this is a strong class but certainly not one that pushes Maine to the upper echelon of hockey east next year (barring an out of this world performance by Swayman). I think this class is stacked with long term leaders of the program that will take over the leadership roles maintained by the Fossier/Perason class. Next year Maine is likely to make conference tournament but likely travel south. Ceiling is a 4th seed while the floor is 8th seed. If they miss the playoffs I would be expecting a "change of direction". Given the reliance on underclassmen I would be surprised to see the team come out of the gate strong and consistent and I will be watching closely how the team comes together by mid-Nov.

With the departure of Chase the team is likely to be stronger on the outside than up the middle, however, from a long term perspective I do expect Poisson & Roy to develop into strengths. If Dawe is healthy, right wing, in particular, looks to be a strength. For example, with a proper centermen Ryan Smith is a phenomenal 4th line RW vs. an average 3rd RW. As a fan i focus in on the relationship of player development to roster development and combinations like these are a great indicator of likely team performance.
                                That’s more or less how I feel as well. To me a hold is a negative given where things stand right now. Maine needs to bring in three legit top six forwards and it sounds like that isn’t happening.

Why do you think Red has had trouble finding top six forwards? Is it more an issue of identifying the right ones or missing out on them? To be fair, he’s done a great job with goalies, Dmen, and bottom six forwards. In college hockey your top two lines oftentimes determine your success though.
                                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Working...
                                X