X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TV: One Person's Trash...

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I'd rather hang out in Manhattan with people who know they are d-bags and embrace it.
    You just described LoDo. Pass.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Started the Daredevil series on Netflix. Jessica/Luke/Defenders got me to cave in, wanted to know his story.

I'm liking these series, as the main characters are more anti-heroes, and "normal" people who happen to have enhanced abilities. Not your typical classic superhero character. I dare say, even bbdl might like them, if he gave it a chance. This isn't Superman/Spiderman stuff. It's not clean cut. It's the darker Nolan/Batman type stuff...that's about as close to a classic/neo-superhero comparison as I can describe it.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

"City on a Hill" on Showtime in June.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byN6yQ8e9nc
        A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
          "City on a Hill" on Showtime in June.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byN6yQ8e9nc
          Looks promising.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
            Started the Daredevil series on Netflix. Jessica/Luke/Defenders got me to cave in, wanted to know his story.

I'm liking these series, as the main characters are more anti-heroes, and "normal" people who happen to have enhanced abilities. Not your typical classic superhero character. I dare say, even bbdl might like them, if he gave it a chance. This isn't Superman/Spiderman stuff. It's not clean cut. It's the darker Nolan/Batman type stuff...that's about as close to a classic/neo-superhero comparison as I can describe it.
            Out of 10, DD is 8 parts Crime Drama, 2 parts Comic Book. There are comic book elements for sure. As you go through Season 1, you'll see Matt's Hero/Powers origin, but the focus is on his character. How he relates to the situation he's in and the people (and resulting problems) he encounters along the way. That is the focus of the story and it's excellently done. Wilson also has a similar character arc. In fact I think his arc trumps Matt's as you go through Season 1. You'll see what I mean as it progresses. Just wait for the "Car Door" scene to happen then hold on for the ride

Daredevil, as a whole, is the best TV adaptation of the genre out there. Throughout the 3 seasons though it rises and falls however. The potential to do something special with this absolutely was there in S1. But, much like the genre, politics and outside elements got involved and it's never really been the same since that original season.
            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
              Out of 10, DD is 8 parts Crime Drama, 2 parts Comic Book. There are comic book elements for sure. As you go through Season 1, you'll see Matt's Hero/Powers origin, but the focus is on his character. How he relates to the situation he's in and the people (and resulting problems) he encounters along the way. That is the focus of the story and it's excellently done. Wilson also has a similar character arc. In fact I think his arc trumps Matt's as you go through Season 1. You'll see what I mean as it progresses. Just wait for the "Car Door" scene to happen then hold on for the ride

Daredevil, as a whole, is the best TV adaptation of the genre out there. Throughout the 3 seasons though it rises and falls however. The potential to do something special with this absolutely was there in S1. But, much like the genre, politics and outside elements got involved and it's never really been the same since that original season.
              I'm 3 eps in, and so far, so good.

I think I like this set of intertwined series of Marvel because it's not somebody from another planet who has X-Ray vision or can shoot webs out of his wrist, or has some magic hammer that crushes everything, etc.

The characters simply have extra strength, evolved skin, or heightened senses I omitted Iron Fist, because he's annoying, and I have no interest in him. Ooooooo dragons and chi and stuff; you lost me at dragons; that's the comic book stuff I'm not into at all.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                I'm 3 eps in, and so far, so good.

I think I like this set of intertwined series of Marvel because it's not somebody from another planet who has X-Ray vision or can shoot webs out of his wrist, or has some magic hammer that crushes everything, etc.

The characters simply have extra strength, evolved skin, or heightened senses I omitted Iron Fist, because he's annoying, and I have no interest in him. Ooooooo dragons and chi and stuff; you lost me at dragons; that's the comic book stuff I'm not into at all.
                Yea, being more grounded compared to the Marvel movies was an original goal of the NETFLIX series. They accomplished that goal 100%, despite wavering with Iron Fist, Defenders, and parts of Daredevil during S2 (this was all Defenders setup, so you already know about some of the elements in play). Both seasons of PUNISHER accomplish this with ZERO superpowers involved as well.

It really does suck that NETFLIX gave Disney the finger with these properties as there is a ton that could have been built going forward with what DareDevil laid out. I'll go as far to say that Wilson Fisk is the best villain in all of Marvel to date. He's well developed, you can see his perspective, and he's an actual human being (both emotionally and literally). Vincent D'Onofrio was handed this role and marched all the way to the end zone with it...
                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Yea, being more grounded compared to the Marvel movies was an original goal of the NETFLIX series. They accomplished that goal 100%, despite wavering with Iron Fist, Defenders, and parts of Daredevil during S2 (this was all Defenders setup, so you already know about some of the elements in play). Both seasons of PUNISHER accomplish this with ZERO superpowers involved as well.

It really does suck that NETFLIX gave Disney the finger with these properties as there is a ton that could have been built going forward with what DareDevil laid out. I'll go as far to say that Wilson Fisk is the best villain in all of Marvel to date. He's well developed, you can see his perspective, and he's an actual human being (both emotionally and literally). Vincent D'Onofrio was handed this role and marched all the way to the end zone with it...
                  Agreed. I started with JJ, then Defenders (b/c JJ), then delved into Cage (since I think he'll still appear in JJ) and then DD, because he seemed interesting enough. Re-watched Defenders, and the one thing I hate about comic book stuff popped up (the Misty alternate cause of her result). Keep it consistent between all the stories. Drives me nuts.

Comment

Screw em all. The Punisher is where it's at.

the state of hockey is good

Comment

Why would Netflix cater to Disney when Disney is about to give them the finger when they start their streaming service? Disney is pulling everything off the second it drops so Netflix has no reason to keep he shows going. It isnt like Netflix makes money on them. Disney could continue to make them they are choosing not to. You want someone to blame blame Disney.
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Wilson also has a similar character arc. In fact I think his arc trumps Matt's as you go through Season 1. You'll see what I mean as it progresses. Just wait for the "Car Door" scene to happen then hold on for the ride
                        While "Car Door" was a bit disappointing (I thought it would be more climactic), you are DEFINITELY correct on Wilson's arc. The Vanessa wildcard definitely adds depth to Wilson's character.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                          Screw em all. The Punisher is where it's at.
                          Sadly, it's too late for that.

Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I don’t watch a lot of these talent shows but I decided to watch Worlds Best because I’m tired and lazy and can’t find the remote.

The Mongolian cowboy left me in shock. That was insane.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I watched the new Netflix series Russian Doll this weekend. Only 8 half hour episodes. Natasha Lyonne is great, overall really liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                I don’t watch a lot of these talent shows but I decided to watch Worlds Best because I’m tired and lazy and can’t find the remote.

The Mongolian cowboy left me in shock. That was insane.
                                I couldn't believe what I was hearing at first. Then it occurred to me that because he can't speak English is why he's able to make sing that song so well. He's not trying to speak/sing the language, he's just (for wont of a better phrase) making a series of incoherent sounds.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X