Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went to BU at BC last night. The 1st period was ‘meh’ but periods 2 and 3 were very good hockey. To state the obvious, the talent level on these two teams is exceptional. I’ll bet that no less than 8 of the players on the ice last night will play NHL. Patrick Harper handles the puck and directs play at a level above most of the others on the ice. But can he play in NHL at 160 lbs. Given the talent level, it is surprising that BU is not winning more games and not ranked. They had a loss and a tie at Orono early in the season. Point being that Maine is plenty capable of playing with and beating these teams. IIRC, Maine was 5-1-0 against BU and BC combined last season.

I maintain that the loss vs UConn Wed night was a bad loss that unfortunately effects the 2nd half of the season and therefore the entire season. Maine was 3-0-1 to start the second half (incl. a win vs USA NTDP) and could have made a little noise if they won vs Cavanaugh & co.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
      Went to BU at BC last night. The 1st period was ‘meh’ but periods 2 and 3 were very good hockey. To state the obvious, the talent level on these two teams is exceptional. I’ll bet that no less than 8 of the players on the ice last night will play NHL. Patrick Harper handles the puck and directs play at a level above most of the others on the ice. But can he play in NHL at 160 lbs. Given the talent level, it is surprising that BU is not winning more games and not ranked. They had a loss and a tie at Orono early in the season. Point being that Maine is plenty capable of playing with and beating these teams. IIRC, Maine was 5-1-0 against BU and BC combined last season.

I maintain that the loss vs UConn Wed night was a bad loss that unfortunately effects the 2nd half of the season and therefore the entire season. Maine was 3-0-1 to start the second half (incl. a win vs USA NTDP) and could have made a little noise if they won vs Cavanaugh & co.
      I think more than anything else at this point, the biggest problem facing the Black Bears is their inability to win on the road. I don't think the talent gap is that wide between Maine and other teams, though it does exist, and effort/heart is not usually an issue either. Combine that with a outstanding home record at the comforts of Alfond, if they could even approach a .500 record on the road they would probably be a ranked team. Dropping games like that one against Connecticut just can't happen, and there are other examples of road games they were in and could have reasonably won (the NU series at Matthews comes to mind, especially the Saturday game, and I was at both of them, as well as the Lowell games). Add in the tie at St. Lawrence, the loss at Yale, the pattern becomes even more clear that all the bad games they need to have back came on the road. The only times I can think of they were run off the rink came in Amherst, though I expect the worst at Conte coming up. Bottom line, if they were even mediocre on the road instead of pathetic, the team would be a lot better off. And I think they could do it, but I don't know what it will take.

Comment

• Re: Maine

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
        ......... Bring back Tim Whitehead
        Three consecutive Elite Eight Championships and 14 -4 -1 so far this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
          Three consecutive Elite Eight Championships and 14 -4 -1 so far this season.
          "Be careful what you wish for"...

I was among the last to call for Tim's head, but I eventually did. Turns-out I was wrong.

Now we have a completely inept regime, and I'd be happy to have TW back, yesterday. I have no doubt whatsoever that he would have performed much better than Dead Red over the past 6-7 years, or whatever it is. (Feels like forever.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

I was among the last to call for Tim's head, but I eventually did. Turns-out I was wrong.

Now we have a completely inept regime, and I'd be happy to have TW back, yesterday. I have no doubt whatsoever that he would have performed much better than Dead Red over the past 6-7 years, or whatever it is. (Feels like forever.)
            Pathetic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

I dont believe Tim would have done any better than Red. Once Grant left it was over.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                I dont believe Tim would have done any better than Red. Once Grant left it was over.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                Right, TW time at Maine was over...just like Gendron's time should be over.

Comment

Maine has 11 games remaining and all in Hockey East Play: 8 home (1 NU, 2 Merr. 2 UConn, 2 Ver., 1 PC) 3 away (2 BC, 1 PC)...The road has been tough on Maine, while being home could be just what they need to get into Hockey East Playoffs...they are 2 points out of 8th place as of today. I see Maine going 0-3-0 on the road and at home going 5-3-0. 5-6-0 to finish the season. Could be touch and go to make the playoffs if this is to happen. (imo). Thoughts on this???

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Fish, I totally disagree. I think Wally is right on the $$. The Undertaker’s time at Maine was o-v-a-h OVAH. He would have performed the same or worse than Red. Recruiting was toast. Look at the recruits they got in 2013-14-15. Those were all The Undertaker’s. He had last control and the financial status of the program was in shambles...pitiful. Believe it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                      Maine has 11 games remaining and all in Hockey East Play: 8 home (1 NU, 2 Merr. 2 UConn, 2 Ver., 1 PC) 3 away (2 BC, 1 PC)...The road has been tough on Maine, while being home could be just what they need to get into Hockey East Playoffs...they are 2 points out of 8th place as of today. I see Maine going 0-3-0 on the road and at home going 5-3-0. 5-6-0 to finish the season. Could be touch and go to make the playoffs if this is to happen. (imo). Thoughts on this???
                      Generally an optimist, I am completely concerned about the BC series this coming weekend. They may get skated right off the rink. I was at BC Sat night vs BU. They are loaded. That, combined with the loss at UConn, could send them into a tailspin the rest of the season. (This is exactly why I said that the UConn loss was strategically a nightmare.) I pray not but I fear so. Hope to God I’m wrong.
                      Last edited by DoubleA; 01-20-2020, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
                        Generally an optimist, I am completely concerned about the BC series this coming weekend. They may get skated right off the rink. I was at BC Sat night vs BU. They are loaded. That, combined with the loss at UConn, could send them into a tailspin the rest of the season. (This is exactly why I said that the UConn loss was strategically a nightmare.) I pray not but I fear so. Hope to God I’m wrong.
                        BC & PC will tough road games to get a win out of...while you never know with UConn, could sweep them or split...then you have NU and that's a toss up/at least its at home for this one (as long as they keep Tyler Madden off the score-sheet) and then on paper and we all know you don't win many games on paper...you have Merrimack and Vermont and hope for 4 wins there....maybe..? And last home game in the regular season versus PC...who has had there way with Maine for a long time...if they have any hope on wins it will be at home. (imo)

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
                          I'm with you on most of that. I'm also generally an optimist, but Conte might get ugly for them, BC is the real deal this year. Hopefully they can at least keep it competitive and not get embarassed. I don't think losing to Connecticut is going to make them reel the rest of the season, momentum doesn't really seem to be a thing for them (see the dramatic UNH sweep leading to an 1-6-1 road trip). I also don't think 8-0-0 at home the rest of the way is completely out of the realm of possibility (I know). I don't think it's likely necessarily, but I would bet that 6-2-0 is how they end up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                            Doesn't matter much to me, they won't get to the Garden even they make 8th.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                              Sadly, I am 90% certain you are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                                Yup, this year is toast, nothing to build for next either as we all know Red is back behind the bench for hopefully his final year.
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X