X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

The Killing Machine:
    A Soviet-trained assassin is determined to escape his double life as a hitman and as a husband-father.

Stars, and is directed by, Dolph Lundgren.

Yep, that's the review. I think everyone can determine for themselves whether or not they want to watch this. It was a time killer for me, at best.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
      I love Netflix, and agree their original stuff is hit or miss. Depends on what you're interested in. However, there is SO MUCH of it, that I would guess you'd like more than you don't like (and then all the other non-Netflix is still there, too). If you go disc option (I have streaming and 1-disc plans), that is a crap ton of viewing available. My streaming list is about 2 dozen, my disc list is about 120. Those numbers have remained pretty constant for the last 4-5 years.
      The only reason I would join Netflix is to see their originals- everything else is available by other means- in theaters, on other movie channels, streaming via my cable service. The part that I can't see are the originals- other than the ones they are putting in cinemas.

And if they are putting what they think are their best foot forward in the cinemas, even with the best subject manner, I'm not all that sure I would enjoy watching them. There are a few more NF original movies to see before awards season- but based on what I've seen so far, it seems to me they are putting a lot more money into promotion than they are into the films. And in the end, that means it saves me some money in the long run.

Comment

Netflix:

Stranger Things
        American Vandal
        Mindhunter
        Big Mouth
        House of Cards

All first rate.

I don't think I have ever seen a Netflix original movie though I understand there are hundreds of them.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Obviously take this ranking with a grain of salt. Every Netflix Original Movie, Ranked Taking stock of the service’s best — and worst — films.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            Obviously take this ranking with a grain of salt. Every Netflix Original Movie, Ranked Taking stock of the service’s best — and worst — films.
            I honestly don't think of I have heard of any of them. Did Roma have an Oscar nomination? If so that's the only one.

It's like 300 movies for people who think The Incredible Mrs. Maisel is clever.

Maybe there is a reason to hate Millennials.
            Last edited by Kepler; 12-10-2019, 02:30 PM.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I dunno. I'm in for...

277. The Babysitter
              This ’80s-throwback slasher from notorious Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle director McG is an inexplicable Satanic-panic flick that pits a nail-biting kid against his hottie coed caretaker and the rest of her death cult. Why, when he first catches an eyeful of the group (which also includes Bella Thorne, suddenly everywhere) turning a game of spin the bottle into a bloodbath, do the words “WHAT THE ****” suddenly fly onto the screen in giant red text? And then later on, when he uses a handy knife given to him by his good pal Anton Chekov in the first act, why does McG throw the phrase “POCKET KNIFE … *****ES!” in our faces? Why does the film break up its PG-13 comedy with geysers of gore that John Woo might call “a little much?” Why, after getting shot in the chest, is Bella Thorne unconcerned about her own health and wholly preoccupied with her cans no longer being perfect? Why is there so much trouble in the world?
              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                I honestly don't think of I have heard of any of them. Did Roma have an Oscar nomination? If so that's the only one.

Roma did, but we really didn't like it. Had HUGE hopes that it would be a great film, and was very badly let down. I also had huge hopes for Marriage Story, but was also let down. Now I'm very much lowering my expectation for The Irishman.

Having read that much of the awards are based on buying people out, noting who is getting nominated, that makes a lot more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I've only seen a very few of the Netflix original movies, but I really did enjoy The Fundamentals of Caring. He's a guy trying to be a personal care assistant to a jaded paraplegic kid. It's pretty much by the books, but it's well done and very loosely based on a true story.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                    I dunno. I'm in for...
                    On September 26, 2019, Netflix announced a sequel to the film, The Babysitter 2, would be released in 2020.
                    There's more.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                      I dunno. I'm in for...
                      The reviews of that movie are... not good.
                      Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Ok boomer
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Roma was a film geek's movie. Beret required. I thought it sucked.

House Of Cards was great until the last season when the whole Spacey thing made them re-do all the writing. Mindhunter is INTENSE and awesome.

Also reminded me of some Univision/Telemundo stuff on there (and I'm sure there's British stuff on there) that the US re-did. La Reina Del Sur (which the US did as "Queen Of The South") and El Patron Del Mar (which Netflix did as Narcos). Stuff like that, that is off the US radar, I've had more hits than misses.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Roma was a film geek's movie. Beret required. I thought it sucked.
                            I'll check it out.

House Of Cards was great until the last season when the whole Spacey thing made them re-do all the writing.
                            It was getting sh-tty before that. Really it was only great the first season. After that it had moments but generally disappointed.

Mindhunter is INTENSE and awesome.
                            Yep. They are really wasting the hot lez, though. Show about 70s sexism is sexist. Heh.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Also reminded me of some Univision/Telemundo stuff on there (and I'm sure there's British stuff on there) that the US re-did. La Reina Del Sur (which the US did as "Queen Of The South") and El Patron Del Mar (which Netflix did as Narcos). Stuff like that, that is off the US radar, I've had more hits than misses.
                              Another show on Netflix that falls into this category is La Casa de papel, re-titled Money Heist for Netflix. It was originally a limited episode Spanish TV crime caper that Netflix divided up into two seasons totaling about 15 episodes, iirc. There is a third season which I've not yet seen, and supposedly a fourth season coming up.

I kind of liked the first two seasons, although they can be a bit corny in a telenovela sort of way. Basically, the first two seasons centered around a plot to break into the national mint in Spain, print up a couple of billion euros, then escape with the loot.

I think season three involves only a couple of the same characters in an entirely different adventure. While you won't come away from the first two seasons thinking you've just witnessed great art, they were fun enough to cause me to at least give season 3 a chance.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/la_casa_de_papel
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I think the second season of HOC is good...but yeah after that it was up and down. By the time they were running her as Veep I was out even though Claire was an AWESOME character.
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X