Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2019-2020: Muzzling All Detractors

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
    Ohio State-ment ... the Buckeyes went on the road earlier tonight to take on #1-ranked Minnesota and came away with a 4-1 win. For now, I just have a box score, so not sure what Coach had to say about this, but I am fairly certain she was happy about this one.
    Great news!

Last weekend's series against the Mavericks was a Buckeye Tour-De-Force. But the next question, inevitably, was could they maintain that level of play against the Gophers? Evidently the answer is yes. That's very good to hear.

Now about that Mankato series. I'm way overdue with my 3 Stars Posts for the those games. Still, I don't want to leave a gap in the record, especially since the series was so successful. So in just a little bit, there'll be a "break in the clouds" and those stars will appear. Given the tardiness, the format will be modified. But as always, the point is to give some recognition to group of players who deserve far more credit than they ever receive.

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
      Great news!

Last weekend's series against the Mavericks was a Buckeye Tour-De-Force. But the next question, inevitably, was could they maintain that level of play against the Gophers? Evidently the answer is yes. That's very good to hear.

Now about that Mankato series. I'm way overdue with my 3 Stars Posts for the those games. Still, I don't want to leave a gap in the record, especially since the series was so successful. So in just a little bit, there'll be a "break in the clouds" and those stars will appear. Given the tardiness, the format will be modified. But as always, the point is to give some recognition to group of players who deserve far more credit than they ever receive.
      Looking forward to it PGB.

I got a kick of the post game smiles video OSU posted of the team coming off the ice. Muzerall exhibits a ton of emotion and in a sport often criticized for its lack of off ice personality she’s a breath of fresh air. I acknowledge that knowing when to be even keel and send a message of calm is a necessary coaching attribute as well.

I’ll have to look around for some Wisniewski articles. I’m kind of coming around to the idea that maybe these short term coaches that come from the guys pros who are not likely to stay long can maybe still offer a net benefit to the team. Anyway nice job by the OSU. Congrats to the coaching staff - the three women are all Minnesota alums, yes?

Today will be interesting. One expects a very intense game after yesterday, and yet outdoor conditions can always add some variability that might influence the game. Above all cheering for a safe game for both teams.

Comment

Ohio State vs. Minnesota State
        January 10-11, 2020
        A Weekend In Review

The Celestial Perspective

It's been widely acknowledged that that the opening series of 2nd Semester was wildly successful. This will be an overview of the heavenly beauty.

The Buckeyes had a fine first half. But the team we saw play against Mankato has taken things to another level. It was a complete team effort, excelling in all phases of the game. What explains the metamorphosis?

Perhaps the team jelled on the Las Vegas trip. But if so, we'll never know. What goes on in Vegas, stays in Vegas.

Maybe the addition of James Wisniewski to the coaching staff has lit a fire under this team. Wis brings a dynamic combination of experience & passion to the table. Watching him operate behind the Buckeye Bench gives one a feeling of infectious enthusiasm. Perhaps he's the added ingredient that can turn this very good team into an excellent one.

Or, maybe we're just seeing a natural evolution of a fine group of players becoming greater than the sum of their parts.

Obviously one breakout weekend does not a season make. More important games ahead lie ahead. But the first weekend back from break was a tantalizing appetizer indeed.

Note that the two games weren't carbon copies. Friday was a total team effort. Recognition for offense, defense & goalkeeping is a must.

In contrast, Saturday saw Mavericks that started the game much stronger and never quit. But the Buckeyes successfully used secondary scoring to outgun the Mavs. Again, the Star selections will reflect the overview.

Three Stars Of BOTH Games: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Final Score From Friday, January 10th
        Ohio State 6
        Minnesota State 0

Honorable Mention: Sara Saekkinen, Ohio State
        A perfect pass on the first goal got Sara on the scoresheet with the primary assist. But Sara wasn't done. Her +3 reflects the fact that the 3rd Line of Saekkinen, Bink & Freiburger were strong all night long.

#3 Star: Andrea Braendli, Ohio State
        Andrea wasn't severely tested, but perfect is perfect! Very cool to see Braendli earn the shutout.

#2 Star: Lisa Bruno, Ohio State
        Gotta believe the Buckeyes spent part of their break working on shooting. Lots of pleasing firepower on display from up & down the line-up. Bruno's Bodacious Blast from the left wing circle launched the Buckeye scoring spree.

#1 Star: Emma Maltais, Ohio State
        What more can one say about Emma Maltais? Just that the Magnificent Sparkplug provided constant creativity on offense. 1 Goal + 3 Assists = 4 Point Night.

Final Score From Saturday, January 11th
        Ohio State 8
        Minnesota State 4

Honorable Mention: McKenzie Sederburg, Minnesota State
        The Mavs weren't going to beat the Buckeyes on this weekend. But they did make it tough on Saturday, led in no small part by McKenzie's leadership and talent. Can't really back up this choice with stats. I'm just saying that #9's performance passed the eye test.

#3 Star: Gabby Rosenthal, Ohio State
        Secondary scoring was the key; and the 2nd Line of Rosenthal, Gardiner, and Levis certainly did their part. 1 Goal, 1 Assist & +2 for Gabby.

#2 Star: Sophie Jaques, Ohio State
        Great to see the 'D' Corps contribute to the scoring. 1 Goal, 1 Assist & +3 for Sophie.

#1 Star: Jenn Gardiner, Ohio State
        Gardiner had the biggest night of all. The best moment came when she scored the 6th Buckeye goal, doubling up on the Mavericks and blowing open the game for good. Overall, 2 Goals, 1 Assist & +3 earned the #1 Star for Jenn.

Up Next: The Outdoor Game. Hey Buckeyes: Enjoy The Special Occasion, But Keep That Momentum Going!

P.S.: Thanks for your patience; hope it was worth the wait.

Comment

Thanks for that Pgb! I was missing it, and it was worth the wait! Watching the girls on tv now. With the package we have on DirecTV, we actually get Fox Sports North. Got some work to do in the third. Gophers leading 2-1 at the second intermission.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
            Looking forward to it PGB.

I got a kick of the post game smiles video OSU posted of the team coming off the ice. Muzerall exhibits a ton of emotion and in a sport often criticized for its lack of off ice personality she’s a breath of fresh air. I acknowledge that knowing when to be even keel and send a message of calm is a necessary coaching attribute as well.

I’ll have to look around for some Wisniewski articles. I’m kind of coming around to the idea that maybe these short term coaches that come from the guys pros who are not likely to stay long can maybe still offer a net benefit to the team. Anyway nice job by the OSU. Congrats to the coaching staff - the three women are all Minnesota alums, yes?

Today will be interesting. One expects a very intense game after yesterday, and yet outdoor conditions can always add some variability that might influence the game. Above all cheering for a safe game for both teams.
            Loved the video and the excitement from the girls after that one last night. As for Wiz, I am hoping he is not just a short-term coach. I think he is a great addition and the girls seem to like him. You are correct about our other coaches ... Nadine, Milica, and Emily are all former Gophers.

Comment

• Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
              Loved the video and the excitement from the girls after that one last night. As for Wiz, I am hoping he is not just a short-term coach. I think he is a great addition and the girls seem to like him. You are correct about our other coaches ... Nadine, Milica, and Emily are all former Gophers.
              Thanks for confirming.
              Ohio State fans may already know but this game is airing on Sports Time Ohio. I’m loving it. Never saw these guys on tv before.

Comment

Thanks for that Pgb! I was missing it, and it was worth the wait! Watching the girls on tv now. With the package we have on DirecTV, we actually get Fox Sports North. Got some work to do in the third. Gophers leading 2-1 at the second intermission.
                Oh i see you did know it’s on tv.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                  Oh i see you did know it’s on tv.
                  I knew, but shoot, I did not realize it was on Sports Time Ohio. Good on Sports Time Ohio for showing it.

Comment

Minnesota earned the split today with a hard-fought 2-1 win over the Buckeyes. The Gophers opened the scoring on a PP goal from Amy Potomak. The Buckeyes would answer later in the first period on a goal from Sophie Jaques to tie it at 1, and that is how the first period ended. Minnesota got a goal from Emily Oden in the second period to go up 2-1 and that is how the period ended. Neither team scored in the third period and that is how it ended with the Gophers winning today's contest 2-1. Ohio State outshot Minnesota today 30-26 with Buckeye netminder Andrea Braendli stopping 24 of the 26 shots she faced. Minnesota goaltender Sydney Scobee stopped 29 of the 30 shots she faced. The Buckeyes will return home for a non-league tilt against Quinnipiac. The Gophers head to Madison for a big series with the Badgers.

Comment

Minnesota earned the split today with a hard-fought 2-1 win over the Buckeyes. The Gophers opened the scoring on a PP goal from Amy Potomak. The Buckeyes would answer later in the first period on a goal from Sophie Jaques to tie it at 1, and that is how the first period ended. Minnesota got a goal from Emily Oden in the second period to go up 2-1 and that is how the period ended. Neither team scored in the third period and that is how it ended with the Gophers winning today's contest 2-1. Ohio State outshot Minnesota today 30-26 with Buckeye netminder Andrea Braendli stopping 24 of the 26 shots she faced. Minnesota goaltender Sydney Scobee stopped 29 of the 30 shots she faced. The Buckeyes will return home for a non-league tilt against Quinnipiac. The Gophers head to Madison for a big series with the Badgers.
                      Only Muzz could rain on what has become a great hockey event for all involved by saying she never wants to play in another Hockey Day outdoor game. Yeah, you lost. Show some class and think about how cool it was for at least your MN players to participate in. If OSU had won her comments on the event likely would have been different. Pouty players do that, not professional coaches.

Comment

I'm on Muzz's side. It's insane to be playing these games in those conditions. It's perfectly possible to celebrate hockey in Minnesota without spending several hours in -25 wind chills.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                          I'm on Muzz's side. It's insane to be playing these games in those conditions. It's perfectly possible to celebrate hockey in Minnesota without spending several hours in -25 wind chills.
                          It does make you wonder when "Plan B" (moving the game indoors to the adjacent Parade Ice Gardens) would have kicked in.
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                            I’ve heard nothing but positive things from coaches and players who have participated over the years (except Muzz of course). The typical player response is it’s a great hockey memory they’ll have for a lifetime. I do, however, think it should not be a game that counts for WCHA points. Points in this league are too hard to come by much less trying to earn them in an unpredictable outdoor winter environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
                              If OSU had won her comments on the event likely would have been different. Pouty players do that, not professional coaches.
                              Well she was one of yours and is well respected by nearly everybody in Minnesota, so do you really think she speaks only how the wind is blowing?
                              You do her a serious discourtesy with such a baseless observation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                                Well she was one of yours and is well respected by nearly everybody in Minnesota, so do you really think she speaks only how the wind is blowing?
                                You do her a serious discourtesy with such a baseless observation.
                                Really? Listen to her postgame comments. https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/buckeyes-fall-to-gophers-2-1-in-hockey-day-minnesota/

She’s also not above whining about the officiating when she loses. Compare that with Frosty as an example. The Gophers lose Fri with apparently some questionable officiating and all he says is his team got
                                their butts kicked.

Comment

Working...
                                X