Colgate 2019-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2019-20

Magoo, you are right and I am wrong. You said...
    “I actually thought we could win a game this weekend.”
    I read it as ‘I actually thought we would win a game this weekend.’ Sorry.

I am past ‘moral victories,’ too. Playing a top-tier team (such as Ohio State) ‘close’ and losing is still a Loss in the record books. I understand that. But, playing Ohio State close and losing this season is different than playing Holy Cross (for example) close and losing. For a team like Colgate in 2019-2020, to my way of thinking, one of those scenarios realistically ‘cuts it’ and one doesn’t.

I think I am a realist with my expectations. There is always a chance or a possibility or slight hope to win any game against any other team on any given night. As far as PWR #2 Cornell is concerned, I will be very surprised if we sweep or split our rivalry series with them this year. Obviously there is a chance for it (as I just saw Dartmouth squeak past them in Hanover), which is why we’ll play the games. But am I going to launch into a tirade if we don’t? Absolutely not. As much as I personally hate to admit it, Cornell is that good this year. They are fast and accurate (with their passes and shots on net).

I honestly understand people’s long-term frustrations with Colgate not regularly going to Lake Placid or a Regional. But don’t take it out on the current team players that work hard, never give up, and are steadily improving. The coaching staff must be doing something right to make that happen. And there seems to be genuine excitement about the recruiting process right now.

Go ‘Gate.

Comment

No worries Iowa. Happy New Year to you and everyone.

Comment

me as well...in point of fact, IF our PP had been successful at even a 12 to 13 per cent rate this year we could certainly be 9-7-4 or something similar...recruiting is looking better and I think we'll see some excitement over the next few years (TheCoat does have some insight here; enough said)...we will continue to get faster and more skilled over the next couple of years, obviously necessary since very few teams are standing still...yes, the loss of Point was a setback, but goaltending is not our problem (we've got two very capable goalies)...the PK is better and one would think the PP HAS to get better (no way but up)...and hopefully, we can start attracting decent crowds to the new rink, since it is a lovely facility and we need to elevate a home ice advantage that is pretty much non-existent...many of us on this solid thread are getting pretty old (yours included)...I'd like one more Frozen Four in my life...

Comment

Matt Verboon is the leading scorer for the Swiss team, GP 3 3-3-6 points.
          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Happy and healthy New Year to all! Time to take stock. Some things to think about as you drink your eggnog: Stats that stand out to me: SHG = 0, to me this reflects a lack of quickness and opportunism. Our PP ranks 60th at 5.33% - what can you say? our GPG is at 2.10 ranking 48th while our GAPG is 2.45; the difference of -.35/goal is telling and is an obvious reason for our not winning the close games; we're not scoring way enough. Our PK seems to be a middling 79%.

Some say the ECAC is weak this year, but why is Cornell ranked #2 and Clarkson #4? And others receiving votes are QU with 6 and Dartmouth with 2. Yes, there are a lot of bottom feeders, however this is cyclical; you could see a complete turnaround by next season. P'ton and Yale are down, but to our advantage. We sneak into #4 in league play, no telling what happens. As a steadily improving team - yes, I said improving - we could be a spoiler down the road.
            COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Happy 2020 everyone, may this new year (and decade) bring good luck to the team.

I really do hope we make it to Lake Placid this season. Last year's graduating class was the first since 1999 that NEVER made it to the ECAC Tournament Final Four. Time to start a new streak.
              Colgate '09

Comment

Your goaltender recruit Carter Gylander just got his rights traded to the Edmonton Oil Kings and it looks like they will make a push to sign him.

Comment

He's eighteen yrs old.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                    He's eighteen yrs old.
                    Did you read that last post as Edmonton Oilers (as in the NHL team) as opposed to the WHL's Edmonton Oil Kings?

He's not going to the NHL, but Major Junior would be a definite possibility.

Comment

Wouldn't that remove his college eligibility ? That's what I thought you meant. Not good news for us.

Comment

Hopefully Verboon picks up where he left off in the World Jrs, second leading scorer for the Swiss.

Comment

Belated Happy 2020 to all of the 'Gate posters! Looking forward to the games this weekend....FINALLY! We were the only ECAC team not playing last weekend. I hope the boys can shake off the cobwebs early on in the game vs Union. It will be good to have Verboon back. Who will be in net? Go 'Gate!

Comment

New recruit from the Powell River Kings BCHL. PJ Gerritt 6-3 205 defenseman, 39 games played this year, looks promising, great size.

Comment

What are you thoughts on this weekend's games? I think they're both winnable. Still undecided whether or not to drive out to Troy tomorrow evening. Go 'Gate!
                              Colgate '09

Comment

Rainman, I am headed to Union now and RPI tomorrow night.
                                I really dislike Union (two bad experiences at Achilles the last two years), but I love RPI (especially with former Canisius coach Dave Smith, whom I met a couple of years ago at the Fairbanks tourney).

Comment

Working...
                                X