X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    File under “recruiting is an inexact science” this kid looks like he could be the best qb ever and Maine signed him with less than a full scholarship (presumably means no one else offered a full boat https://bangordailynews.com/2019/08/...p-from-umaine/
    He's gaining experience in what has turned out to be a sour season, has the tools...can pass and run.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
      He's gaining experience in what has turned out to be a sour season, has the tools...can pass and run.
      Football highlights... kid has a great arm looks like...
      https://youtu.be/lHSfgHqajUA

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
        The D Coach left for James Madison...you hit the nail with the hammer on the D is not even close to last year...injury's have hurt, but a big difference.
        The "black hole" defense can't stop the run anymore. Losing inside linebacker Stevens is probably one reason why.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
          The "black hole" defense can't stop the run anymore. Losing inside linebacker Stevens is probably one reason why.
          Yes once he was injured that change the whole Maine D. He was the heart & soul on the field, he is a player when you lose you just don't replace.

Comment

Maine up to #8 in the PW.

Go Red!

Comment

It's awesome to see where Red Gendron has this program! It's been a long time since Maine has been top 10 in the pairwise rankings. Hopefully they can offer Red an extension here shortly before other programs begin trying to lure him away.

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post

Go Red!

Comment

Originally posted by GoBlue51 View Post
                It's awesome to see where Red Gendron has this program! It's been a long time since Maine has been top 10 in the pairwise rankings. Hopefully they can offer Red an extension here shortly before other programs begin trying to lure him away.
                I can see the line now

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post

Go Red!
                  Down to #8. They were #5 last week.
                  bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                  SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                  All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                  A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                    Down to #8. They were #5 last week.
                    I never saw them get to 5. I saw them at 10.

Maine did get a vote in this week's USCHO poll.

Comment

Fair warning, you are about to read the most optimistic post I have had in years:

Maine came out of October with 4 wins. That's 2 wins ahead of where I thought they would be.

Maine plays 10 games in November (BU, BU, @UML, @UML, UNH, UNH, @NU, @NU, @SLU, @SLU). 4/6 home/road split. But.... 5 wins seems realistic? SLU is very beatable. UNH at home is winnable. You can't expect sweeps, but with 4 very winnable games, and six underdog games, 5 wins isn't crazy.

Of the four December games (@UMA, @UMA, @Yale, AIC), it would be nice to get one. But, that could be 10 wins before the break, heading into a back half of the schedule with home two game sets against Omaha, Connecticut, Merrimack, and Vermont.

Here's my bonkers prediction: Maine finishes above .500 for the season.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                        Fair warning, you are about to read the most optimistic post I have had in years:

Maine came out of October with 4 wins. That's 2 wins ahead of where I thought they would be.

Maine plays 10 games in November (BU, BU, @UML, @UML, UNH, UNH, @NU, @NU, @SLU, @SLU). 4/6 home/road split. But.... 5 wins seems realistic? SLU is very beatable. UNH at home is winnable. You can't expect sweeps, but with 4 very winnable games, and six underdog games, 5 wins isn't crazy.

Of the four December games (@UMA, @UMA, @Yale, AIC), it would be nice to get one. But, that could be 10 wins before the break, heading into a back half of the schedule with home two game sets against Omaha, Connecticut, Merrimack, and Vermont.

That would be a positive note...especially coming into the season with many{myself included}pegging Maine at no more then 10-12 wins...time will tell, but winning is the plan.

Comment

It all comes down to goaltending. If Swayman plays like a top three goalie in Hockey East, he has the potential to carry this team to a solid season.

I would love to see them steal at least one game from BU, UML and NU. That's a tall task especially playing on the road for two of those series, but if they manage to do that they're really going to put themselves in a position where they could carry some momentum into December.

The key is going to be this: they have to take care of UConn, Merrimack and Vermont. A team like this absolutely has to beat the teams they should beat if they want to enjoy an extended season.

Comment

I agree, I'm cautiously optimistic as well. When the schedule came out I thought they'd be lucky to get out of October at .500. The crazy thing is, they're unlucky to not be 5-1. They've played 4 road games and a home series in an empty Alfond and somehow ended up here. The reality is Maine has 3 elite forwards (Fossier, Tralmaks, Doherty), an emerging forward (JSS) and a couple guys who look to be developing nicely (Dawe, Poisson, Drobot). The defense is still sketchy but Greenway is a lot of fun and Sirota looks like he's settling back in, I've also been surprised by Spicer, he's a much better skater than I realized. Swayman looks fantastic, the 6 goals he's let up in the last 5 games have been good goals, not really anything soft. Obviously I'd still love a change behind the bench but the team winning makes our trip further into oblivion more enjoyable.

Not ready to crown them yet but they look decent. These next couple weekends are huge, need at least 3 wins over the next 6 games. BU's had quite a few injuries to impact players so might be an opportunity to steal some points this weekend.

Comment

The next two weekends are the most important of the season in my opinion. When I look at Hockey East, I see a clear top 4 (BC, PC, NU, MA), a middle three (ME, ML, BU), and a bottom 4 (NH, VT, MC, CT). 2 wins out of the next 4 should be the ground floor IMO. Both BU and UML are beatable, and getting some W's in the books against other teams in the middle of the conference should be huge.

Comment

Originally posted by goblue51 View Post
                                it's awesome to see where red gendron has this program! It's been a long time since maine has been top 10 in the pairwise rankings. Hopefully they can offer red an extension here shortly before other programs begin trying to lure him away.
                                It's going to be a feeding-frenzy, no doubt!
                                Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-28-2019, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X