Another Book Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Another Book Thread

Dressmaker of Khair Khana - non-fiction about a woman in Kabul that starts a business during Taliban rule. Very interesting story.

Golden Hour - typical Beatriz Williams story, but really enjoyed it. Told from two different perspectives, then you find out how the stories weave together as it goes on. This one had a surprise ending I did not anticipate, and I looked forward to finding out what was going to happen next.

Comment

I have yet to read a "novella" in a series that is any good.

Comment

Recent reads

Fractured (Will Trent #2) by Karin Slaughter Pretty good Wil Trent book where he is investigating a kidnapping/ murder and is teamed up with the daughter of a woman he forced of the job in a corruption case. Pretty good storyline and plot twists.

Lawrence in Arabia: War, Deceit, Imperial Folly, and the Making of the Modern Middle East by Scott Anderson I tend to find books on WWI to not be that good basically due to the plodding stalemate of trench warfare that marked the conflict. One of the non trench highlights is the actions and exploits of Lawrence of Arabia. This book examines his actions and how what happened in the Middle East during WWI would affect the region for decades to come. It also look at German, Jewish and American influences in the area thru their major actors in the theatre. At times to book is a bit of a slog but a good read.

Motive (Alex Delaware #30) by Jonathan Kellerman An interesting Delaware book where Milo is trying to crack one of his cold cases that has been stumping him. When they start investigating a nw crime it might hold some clues that point back to the killer in the first one.

The Malta Exchange (Cotton Malone #14) by Steve Berry Pretty good Cotton Malone book where he finds himself up against Rogue Hospitalier Knights and agents of the Vatican attempting to find lost documents that could affect the election of the new pope. Typical Berry style with a mixture of actual historical facts and his own theories as Cotton and Luke attempt to stop the plot.

The Oracle (Fargo Adventures #11) by Clive Cussler, Robin Burcell This book was okay but really did not involve a lot of treasure hunting. The Fargo's go to help their friend, on an archaeological dig in Tunisia but most of the action takes place in Nigeria at a school they have set up for young girls. The plot is pretty predictable and follows a normal Cussler novel.

Bad Blood Business or Blood: Mafia Boss Vito Rizzuto's Last War by Peter Edwards I had watched and enjoyed the TV series that this was based on so got the book. The TV series is much better which is something I don't normally say. The book hops all over the place and doesn't really keep a consistent timeline as it constantly goes back to pre Vito in jail days and then hops forward again. Very hard to follow the timeline and the story of the war against his family now that he is in jail.

Tom Clancy Enemy Contact (Jack Ryan Universe #27) by Mike Maden This was okay, of the Clancy series's the Jack Ryan Jr novels are not my favorite, especially anyone that doesn’t include the other operators like John Clark and Ding Chavez. Jack Ryan Jr is dispatched over to Poland to try and find out why a Senator decided to vote against a base being put in Poland and gets involved in an international conspiracy. There is also a side story of him doing a favor for an old friend which only added to the page count and certainly could have been cut out.

Lincoln's Spies: Their Secret War to Save a Nation by Douglas C. Waller A very good book which details the efforts of the Union to spy on the Confederates during the Civil War. I especially enjoyed the pages on George Sharpe who ran military intelligence collection for the Army of the Potomac after McClellan was removed as commander. Elizabeth Van Liew who rana spy ring in Richmond and also helped Union prisoners of war escape. Also the stories of Lafayette Baker who was a rogue and used the war to push his own agenda and enrich himself in addition to catching spies.

The Secret of Excalibur (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase #3) by Andy McDermott This series is Very similar to Clive Cussler. In this book they are in search of Excalibur which can be used either as a deadly weapon or a method of energy. The action sequences are unbelievable I also figured out a lot of the ending before it happened, in addition to being predictable it followed the first 2 books.

Dead to Rights (Joanna Brady #4) by J.A. Jance Another good Sheriff Brady novel as she continues to evolve after being elected. When a local man is killed all evidence points towards a man who holds him responsible for the death of his wife. Once again the Sheriff leaves no stone unturned as she seeks to find the truth.

Look For Me (Detective D.D. Warren #9) by Lisa Gardner I like The DD Warren books but not a big fan of Flora Dane the victim turned vigilante who is all over this book. Since she has been in two my guess is she will get a stand alone soon. A family is massacred and their 16 year old daughter is missing the Boston PD and Dane search to find her and determine if she is the perpetrator or another victim. Ok but I pretty much figured out the ending before the halfway point.

Sloop of War (Richard Bolitho #6) by Alexander Kent My favorite of the Bolitho books so far, reading them in chronological order. He now has his own ship a fast sloop of war and has a series of adventures that take place during the American Revolution. From picket duty to spy missions to saving soldiers being hunted by the enemy a nice series of adventures is told.
        Last edited by Probert; 10-19-2019, 07:25 AM.
        Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
          Have to agree. I always get a bunch of these along with some James Patterson bookshots to take on vacation and maybe 2or 3 I've ranked above 2 stars. There were a couple that filled in some background on characters but a lot of times they are just a lead in to the next book.
          Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

New Spenser AND new Alex Cross books out in November.

Comment

Originally posted by Probert View Post
              Recent reads

Fractured (Will Trent #2) by Karin Slaughter Pretty good Wil Trent book where he is investigating a kidnapping/ murder and is teamed up with the daughter of a woman he forced of the job in a corruption case. Pretty good storyline and plot twists.

Lawrence in Arabia: War, Deceit, Imperial Folly, and the Making of the Modern Middle East by Scott Anderson I tend to find books on WWI to not be that good basically due to the plodding stalemate of trench warfare that marked the conflict. One of the non trench highlights is the actions and exploits of Lawrence of Arabia. This book examines his actions and how what happened in the Middle East during WWI would affect the region for decades to come. It also look at German, Jewish and American influences in the area thru their major actors in the theatre. At times to book is a bit of a slog but a good read.

Motive (Alex Delaware #30) by Jonathan Kellerman An interesting Delaware book where Milo is trying to crack one of his cold cases that has been stumping him. When they start investigating a nw crime it might hold some clues that point back to the killer in the first one.

The Malta Exchange (Cotton Malone #14) by Steve Berry Pretty good Cotton Malone book where he finds himself up against Rogue Hospitalier Knights and agents of the Vatican attempting to find lost documents that could affect the election of the new pope. Typical Berry style with a mixture of actual historical facts and his own theories as Cotton and Luke attempt to stop the plot.

The Oracle (Fargo Adventures #11) by Clive Cussler, Robin Burcell This book was okay but really did not involve a lot of treasure hunting. The Fargo's go to help their friend, on an archaeological dig in Tunisia but most of the action takes place in Nigeria at a school they have set up for young girls. The plot is pretty predictable and follows a normal Cussler novel.

Bad Blood Business or Blood: Mafia Boss Vito Rizzuto's Last War by Peter Edwards I had watched and enjoyed the TV series that this was based on so got the book. The TV series is much better which is something I don't normally say. The book hops all over the place and doesn't really keep a consistent timeline as it constantly goes back to pre Vito in jail days and then hops forward again. Very hard to follow the timeline and the story of the war against his family now that he is in jail.

Tom Clancy Enemy Contact (Jack Ryan Universe #27) by Mike Maden This was okay, of the Clancy series's the Jack Ryan Jr novels are not my favorite, especially anyone that doesn’t include the other operators like John Clark and Ding Chavez. Jack Ryan Jr is dispatched over to Poland to try and find out why a Senator decided to vote against a base being put in Poland and gets involved in an international conspiracy. There is also a side story of him doing a favor for an old friend which only added to the page count and certainly could have been cut out.

Lincoln's Spies: Their Secret War to Save a Nation by Douglas C. Waller A very good book which details the efforts of the Union to spy on the Confederates during the Civil War. I especially enjoyed the pages on George Sharpe who ran military intelligence collection for the Army of the Potomac after McClellan was removed as commander. Elizabeth Van Liew who rana spy ring in Richmond and also helped Union prisoners of war escape. Also the stories of Lafayette Baker who was a rogue and used the war to push his own agenda and enrich himself in addition to catching spies.

The Secret of Excalibur (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase #3) by Andy McDermott This series is Very similar to Clive Cussler. In this book they are in search of Excalibur which can be used either as a deadly weapon or a method of energy. The action sequences are unbelievable I also figured out a lot of the ending before it happened, in addition to being predictable it followed the first 2 books.

Dead to Rights (Joanna Brady #4) by J.A. Jance Another good Sheriff Brady novel as she continues to evolve after being elected. When a local man is killed all evidence points towards a man who holds him responsible for the death of his wife. Once again the Sheriff leaves no stone unturned as she seeks to find the truth.

Look For Me (Detective D.D. Warren #9) by Lisa Gardner I like The DD Warren books but not a big fan of Flora Dane the victim turned vigilante who is all over this book. Since she has been in two my guess is she will get a stand alone soon. A family is massacred and their 16 year old daughter is missing the Boston PD and Dane search to find her and determine if she is the perpetrator or another victim. Ok but I pretty much figured out the ending before the halfway point.

Sloop of War (Richard Bolitho #6) by Alexander Kent My favorite of the Bolitho books so far, reading them in chronological order. He now has his own ship a fast sloop of war and has a series of adventures that take place during the American Revolution. From picket duty to spy missions to saving soldiers being hunted by the enemy a nice series of adventures is told.
              You don't consider "All Quiet..." to be among the finest distillations of the essential stupidity of war?

Comment

It is not my favorite one, but it is rather good. No doubt.

Comment

The Jester (James Patterson and Andrew Cross) About 3/4 of the way through. Pretty good so far. Intense book about a bondsman in the time of the Crusades. Some of the descriptions of torture are not for the light hearted.

Comment

• Originally posted by jen View Post
                    I’ve always felt that Stephen King’s sweet spot was in the “novella” form... Shawshank Redemption, The Body, The Long Walk, etc; many of the novels should have been trimmed by about 70%.
                    ... and a pet peeve, don’t tell me Green Mile is among his best stories - it’s a lazy rehashing of the sacrificial hero (who is glaringly initialed JC), and just not very well done. If you’re going to reboot a story you should add something interesting to it.
                    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Invisible: The Forgotten Story of the Black Woman Lawyer Who Took Down America's Most Powerful Mobster by Stephen L. Carter - I've enjoyed some of his other books, but this one got a little dry after the trial. Lots and lots of politics and networking. In great detail. The part about her early life, and through the Luciano trial was interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Probert View Post
                        Lawrence in Arabia: War, Deceit, Imperial Folly, and the Making of the Modern Middle East by Scott Anderson I tend to find books on WWI to not be that good basically due to the plodding stalemate of trench warfare that marked the conflict.
                        Have you read Barbara Tuchman's The Guns of August? I highly recommend it for the politics and diplomacy of the war. There is also quite a bit on grand strategy and lots of stuff about tactics, particularly Ludendorff's early genius and the Germans' ability to devolve decision-making down to field commanders allowing them to be flexible and creative.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Listening to an audiobook where the narrator is horrible. Her speech patterns are terrible. The story is good but I might not make it

Comment

Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City by Matthew Desmond - really, really interesting. He did fieldwork in Milwaukee and moved into a trailer park and also a rooming house on the north side of Milwaukee to see how evictions affected people in poverty. Sad and frustrating.

Comment

The Only Woman in the Room by Marie Benedict - story of Hedy LaMarr. Really interesting - I had no idea she did so much other stuff besides act. I wish the author had spent a little more time on her life during and after the war in the U.S. - that part of the book was a little short on details.

Comment

Maltese Falcon - I hated every person in this book. Had never read it before (or seen the movie). The role of women in the book was very... dated (as I would expect, given when it was written). Maybe it was that the guy who was reading it made them sound even more helpless and annoying. p.s. Sam Spade has blonde hair in the book.

Comment

Working...
                                X