Sunyac 2019-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunyac 2019-20

With school starting I figured I would start this thread with Players Graduated, Players Transfered, Incoming Players and what I think the season will look like. I am going to start with my hometown team Plattsburgh State.

Graduated- Transferred-No longer on team
    Keller Kowalowski- G 8.09 GAA .500 SV%
    Charles Barber- D 66 GP 21 PTS
    Jakob Engvall- D 67 GP 9 PTS
    Antoine Fournier- D 57 GP 17 PTS
    Antoine Desnoyers- F 68 GP 30 PTS
    Pat Egan- F 88 GP 62 PTS
    Jesse Neher- 84 GP 23 PTS
    Cam Owens- 92 GP 70 PTS
    Cole Stallard- 104 GP 67 PTS
    Ross Sloan- 94 GP 38 PTS

Incoming Players
    Christian Dahl D 6'4" 237 LBS 54 GP 1 G 8 A 9 PTS 59 PIM Topeka Pilots (NAHL)

Ryan Hogg D 5'10" 170 LBS 49 GP 6 G 14 A 20 PTS 41 PIM Islanders Hockey Club (USPHL)

Jake Sutton D 6'2" 201 LBS 49 GP 4 G 10 A 14 PTS 91 PIM Northern Cyclones (USPHL)

Hunter Aldean F 5'9" 174 LBS 54 GP 6 G 8 A 14 PTS 34 PIM Northeast Generals (NAHL) *Stats from both NAHL & BCHL

Andrew Bechard F 5'10" 181 LBS 45 GP 18 G 23 A 41 PTS 34 PIM Vermont Lumberjacks (EHL)

Mitchell Hale F 6'2" 194 LBS 57 GP 13 G 12 A 25 PTS 182 PIM Johnstown Tomahawks (NAHL)

Joey Kile F 6'1" 185 LBS 43 GP 7 G 12 A 19 PTS 28 PIM Johnstown Tomahawks (NAHL) *Stats from both NAHL & USHL

Brendan Young F 5'9" 181 LBS 54 GP 26 G 44 A 70 PTS 59 PIM Blind River Beavers (NOJHL)

Samir Abouelhana F 6'0" 194 LBS 44 GP 29 G 64 A 93 PTS 111 PTS Philadelphia Revolution (EHL) *EHL MVP & Scoring Leader

The Steve Moffat era begins in Cardinal Country after and the hopes are that after a couple of sub par seasons this new blood will kick start the Cards winning ways again. SRs Phillip Middleton, Ryan Kuhn & Joe Drabin have been named captains for this year and will lead a solid returning core of players. The offense took the biggest hit from graduation losing 4 of the top 5 scorers, leading returning players are Matt Araujo (15 pts), Ryan Kuhn (13 pts) and Rich McCartney (11 pts). The incoming players have size and scoring touch. While we lost a good D in Charles Barber who transfered to Buffalo State the players that graduated where not as big of a loss to the Defense. We return a great top 4 and the incoming freshman look to round out the defense come game night. We will have to see if Emery's coaching made the D look as good as they did last year and if they can keep that going this year. We are returning all 3 goalies, only Keller Kowalowski leaving to start a career with City PD. Jimmy Poreda returns for his JR year after being named a 2nd team all conference goalie, backing him up are Lawson Fenton who had a .920 SV% and a 2.32 GAA and Brandon Wells who had a .846 SV% and a 4.37 GAA but has shown flashes of being a very good backup. Special Teams was a north and south last year, North the penalty kill lead the nation with a 91.1 percent success rate, the south the Power Play that was 88th out of 90 teams with a 9.7 success rate. For that successful season the PP is going to need to be better and the penalty kill will have to continue its success. This maybe a transitional year for the Cards, they may have another slightly above .500 season and another 3rd place finish in then SUNYACS until the players are used to the new coaching staff and how things are run.
    Last edited by dmac1103; 08-19-2019, 11:37 AM.

Re: Sunyac 2019-20

I will try to do this each day for the SUNYAC teams.

Comment

Nice job dmac,looks like Platty will be back,I'm sure with a new coach all jobs will be up for grabs which will make for a lot of hustle and hitting...Looks like a nice class coming in as well....As for Oswego,we have yet to see any new names for this season,and as we have 25 coming back maybe 3 or 4 new faces will be know soon,would imagine them to be transfers not freshmen??

Comment

Thanks Bakdraft, I am thinking Oswego will be one of the last that I do just because they haven't said anything about incoming players. But my guess would be transfers as well because I have went to all the junior leagues I could think off and haven't see a Oswego commitment anywhere.
        Last edited by dmac1103; 08-19-2019, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dmac1103 View Post
          Thanks Bakdraft, I am think Oswego will be one of the last that I do just because they haven't said anything about incoming players. But my guess would be transfers as well because I have went to all the junior leagues I could think off and haven't see a Oswego commitment anywhere.
          10-4 not a name to be found,but I am sure one of the Oz faithfulls will see who is listed on the student registrar and see if any are hockey players, at least that has happened in the past...I think...anyway we will know pretty soon who Oswego and other teams have coming in..

Comment

Today I am going to look at SUNY Geneseo the 2x SUNYAC champions.

Mitch Ferguson D 94 GP 69 Pts
            Duggie Lagrone D 88 GP 55 Pts
            Anthony Marra F 115 GP 95 Pts
            Arthur Gordon F 105 GP 60 Pts
            Joe Serpico F 54 GP 20 Pts
            Zach Lynes F 56 GP 17 Pts
            Liam McDermott F 19 GP 2 Pts
            Brendan Flanagan D 23 GP 1 Pts
            Devin McDonald G 98 GP 2.04 GAA .921 Save percentage

Incoming Players

Matthew Petizian G 5'10" 165 lbs 50 GP 29 W 15 L 2.49 GAA .920 PIM Hawkesbury Hawks CCHL

Matthew Doran D 6'1" 194 lbs 12 GP 0 G 1 A 1 Pts 4 PIM Univ. of Alaska-Fairbanks WCHA

Nicolas Elia D 6'1" 185 lbs 54 GP 7 G 24 A 31 Pts 86 PIM Hawkesbury Hawks CCHL

Alex Wilkins D 5'9" 165 lbs D 56 GP 5 G 25 A 30 Pts 26 PIM Johnstown Tomahawks NAHL

Tyson Gilmore F 6'0" 181 lbs 52 GP 20 G 38 A 58 Pts 36 PIM Wellington Dukes OJHL

Bryan Zurowski F 6'0" 190 lbs 52 GP 25 G 31 A 56 PTS Brantford 99ers OJHL

If any team can claim that they got hit hard with graduation it the the Ice Knights, losing 2 1st team All Americans hurts especially if one of them is the NCAA D3 player of the year. What makes it really sting is the fact that the D3 Player of the year was your starting goalie. Devin McDonald is not the type of the player you can just replace, I still remember when he was a incoming Freshman and I read a quote from his Junior coach that said if he was a 6'1" goalie he would be a D1 starter. The saving grace for the Ice Knights is the Offense returns just about everyone losing only Anthony Marra and Arthur Gordon as regulars. They return Andrew Romano (2nd team All American) and Conlan Keenan (1st Team All American) as well as host of others, losing only 4 of their top 10 scorers. While the offense should be able to take care of itself the Defense is just as loaded. The D did lose leading D scorer Mitch Ferguson and Duggie Lagrone (1st team All American) but they return former D1 transfers Tanner Salsberry & Will Champion as well as Cam Russell & Chris Perna, they also brought in D1 transfer Matthew Doran from Alaska-Fairbanks in the WCHA who played 12 games for the Nanooks last year after a successful JR career in the BCHL and NAHL. The biggest question is in net for the Ice Knights because whoever steps up to take the net has some big shoes to fill, but who is it going to be? Returners Aaron McKay & Dylan Schoen have a total of 5 games between them, all from Aaron McKay, and a .899 save % as well as 2.65 GAA or will Freshman Matthew Petizian step in and be able to handle the workload in the college game. This maybe the year the Geneseo goes for the elusive national title as they have 7 regulars that are going to be seniors this year and if they at least match their JR years after this year they are going to be losing 70 Goals and a whole lot of pts as well as 3 of their top 4 D. They are going to be hungry for that title but who is going to be the goalie to lead them into the promiseland and do what Devin McDonald couldn't. My guess is they are going to 3 peat in the SUNYACS if a goalie can step up.

Comment

Well if teams like Oswego and others continue to let Romano set up on the PP and dish out assist after assist then it will be a looooong season for all in the YAC....Netminding IS the ?? as stated,maybe netminding by committee?? The offense will be fine for sureand the D looks solid...….top 2 finish for Genny in the YAC.....

Comment

Dylan Schoen netminder will be at Stevenson for the upcoming season as/eliteprospects

Comment

Today the team is Buffalo State

Mac Wood F 100 GP 77 PTS
                  Robert Nappo F 1 GP 0 PTS
                  Tyler Myers G 3 GP .843 SV%

Incoming Players

Emil Norrman G 6'2" 181 LBS 31 GP 11 W 15 L 3.34 GAA .913 SV% Dells Ducks USPHL

Parker Allison D 6'1" 194 LBS 42 GP 2 G 8 A 10 PTS 10 PIM Needawa Natives MJHL *stats include NAHL

Charles Barber D 6'1" 201 LBS 24 GP 3 G 1 A 4 PTS 10 PIM SUNY Plattsburgh SUNYAC

Bryan Colburn F 5'11" 165 LBS 23 GP 3 G 4 A 7 PTS 8 PIM Johnson & Wales NEHC

Nikita Kozyrev F 5'8" 154 LBS 51 GP 20 G 25 A 45 PTS 34 PTS Springfield JR Blues NAHL

If there is a team that has a chance to move up from a 4th place finish it is Buffalo State, they lost only 1 regular player and have 2 transfers in Charles Barber & Bryan Colburn who were regulars for their former college teams. Mac Wood was their leading scorer, but they return everyone below him so the offense should be solid. It won't be as prolific as Geneseo's but it should be solid, the D returns everyone plus adds Charles Barber (SR Transfer) and Freshman Parker Allison. They should be like the offense, not spectacular but solid. One thing they do have in common with Geneseo is who is going to take the net? Last year Connor Minch was the starter and his numbers were not stand out numbers with a .889 SV% and a 3.17 GAA, but will the experience help with those stats or will the backup Trevor Micucci or incoming Freshman Emil Norrman take the net from the upperclassmen. With the returning players, Buffalo State has an excellent chance to push their way past Plattsburgh into the 3rd place spot.

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                    Well if teams like Oswego and others continue to let Romano set up on the PP and dish out assist after assist then it will be a looooong season for all in the YAC....Netminding IS the ?? as stated,maybe netminding by committee?? The offense will be fine for sureand the D looks solid...….top 2 finish for Genny in the YAC.....
                    Netminder Petizin is pretty highly tauted...my guess is that the coaching staff is hoping he can play a majority of the games...I don't know how much advance notice they had of Schoen's departure (the website has the transfer posted as 8/20), but Petizin is the only new goalie I've heard about. Tyson Gilmore (one of NHLer Doug Gilmore's two sons) looks to be a great addition and should be able to step in on offense and contribute right away. Devin Brink is also back from an injury that kept him out all last year. I see the forwards being as strong as last year, if not stronger, but they likely won't have the same ability to rush the puck on defense--Lagrone and Ferguson were obviously huge contributors to the offense last year. And without McDonald in net, they will probably be more conservative on the defensive end anyway. I do look for sophomore Dman Chris Perna to have a breakout year. He was really superb by the end of last year. Good luck stopping Romano!
                    Last edited by geneseo; 08-20-2019, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dmac1103 View Post
                      Today I am going to look at SUNY Geneseo the 2x SUNYAC champions.

Mitch Ferguson D 94 GP 69 Pts
                      Duggie Lagrone D 88 GP 55 Pts
                      Anthony Marra F 115 GP 95 Pts
                      Arthur Gordon F 105 GP 60 Pts
                      Joe Serpico F 54 GP 20 Pts
                      Zach Lynes F 56 GP 17 Pts
                      Liam McDermott F 19 GP 2 Pts
                      Brendan Flanagan D 23 GP 1 Pts
                      Devin McDonald G 98 GP 2.04 GAA .921 Save percentage

Incoming Players

Matthew Petizian G 5'10" 165 lbs 50 GP 29 W 15 L 2.49 GAA .920 PIM Hawkesbury Hawks CCHL

Matthew Doran D 6'1" 194 lbs 12 GP 0 G 1 A 1 Pts 4 PIM Univ. of Alaska-Fairbanks WCHA

Nicolas Elia D 6'1" 185 lbs 54 GP 7 G 24 A 31 Pts 86 PIM Hawkesbury Hawks CCHL

Alex Wilkins D 5'9" 165 lbs D 56 GP 5 G 25 A 30 Pts 26 PIM Johnstown Tomahawks NAHL

Tyson Gilmore F 6'0" 181 lbs 52 GP 20 G 38 A 58 Pts 36 PIM Wellington Dukes OJHL

Bryan Zurowski F 6'0" 190 lbs 52 GP 25 G 31 A 56 PTS Brantford 99ers OJHL

If any team can claim that they got hit hard with graduation it the the Ice Knights, losing 2 1st team All Americans hurts especially if one of them is the NCAA D3 player of the year. What makes it really sting is the fact that the D3 Player of the year was your starting goalie. Devin McDonald is not the type of the player you can just replace, I still remember when he was a incoming Freshman and I read a quote from his Junior coach that said if he was a 6'1" goalie he would be a D1 starter. The saving grace for the Ice Knights is the Offense returns just about everyone losing only Anthony Marra and Arthur Gordon as regulars. They return Andrew Romano (2nd team All American) and Conlan Keenan (1st Team All American) as well as host of others, losing only 4 of their top 10 scorers. While the offense should be able to take care of itself the Defense is just as loaded. The D did lose leading D scorer Mitch Ferguson and Duggie Lagrone (1st team All American) but they return former D1 transfers Tanner Salsberry & Will Champion as well as Cam Russell & Chris Perna, they also brought in D1 transfer Matthew Doran from Alaska-Fairbanks in the WCHA who played 12 games for the Nanooks last year after a successful JR career in the BCHL and NAHL. The biggest question is in net for the Ice Knights because whoever steps up to take the net has some big shoes to fill, but who is it going to be? Returners Aaron McKay & Dylan Schoen have a total of 5 games between them, all from Aaron McKay, and a .899 save % as well as 2.65 GAA or will Freshman Matthew Petizian step in and be able to handle the workload in the college game. This maybe the year the Geneseo goes for the elusive national title as they have 7 regulars that are going to be seniors this year and if they at least match their JR years after this year they are going to be losing 70 Goals and a whole lot of pts as well as 3 of their top 4 D. They are going to be hungry for that title but who is going to be the goalie to lead them into the promiseland and do what Devin McDonald couldn't. My guess is they are going to 3 peat in the SUNYACS if a goalie can step up.
                      Add to Geneseo forward Levi Wunder, a transfer from Alabama-Huntsville.

Comment

petizian looks like another McDonald,very good stats but a little undersized for today's type netminder,I am sure he will see a bunch of ice......Wunder looks like a nice p/u

Comment

Nice work. Will there be a review/preview of Canton as well?

Comment

Originally posted by OZFEST View Post
                            Nice work. Will there be a review/preview of Canton as well?
                            Canton is not in the SUNYAC. Just saying...
                            Russell Jaslow
                            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

D3Hockey.com is back on line this morning.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Working...
                              X