No announcement yet.

So, How Did The Campus Site Work Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So, How Did The Campus Site Work Out?

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    My one objection to Lake Placid is the ice size. Finals should be on 200x85.
    agree

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
      Those arenas are WAYYYYY too big to host the D3 finals site.

XL is a 15000 or 16000 seat arena as is Nassau. That’s way too big. The sweet spot is 3K to 4K in my opinion.
      Utica is a good fit in a geographical sense, and seats 4,000.

The Aud is an absolute palace vs. any other D-3 barn I've ever seen. (2 Jumbotrons, decent beer, an attached restaurant, etc.) It's not too a bad bus-trip from 95% of the Eastern teams, and an hour from both the Syracuse and Albany airports via the Thruway for the few Western fans who might make the trip. And lodgings abound.

While I do realize that the FF here was poorly attended recently, there were still more tickets sold here back then than there were in Point... And that narrative would have been very different had Hobart (or maybe they were there, I forget), EC, or any of a number of SUNYAC teams qualified. There was just zero local interest in the field that year, and that could happen at any venue in any given season.

I have no idea if Utica is considering bidding again, but I think it's worth another shot.
      Last edited by Fishman'81; 04-15-2019, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
        Utica is a good fit in a geographical sense, and seats 4,000.

The Aud is an absolute palace vs. any other D-3 barn I've ever seen. (2 Jumbotrons, decent beer, an attached restaurant, etc.) It's not too a bad bus-trip from 95% of the Eastern teams, and an hour from both the Syracuse and Albany airports via the Thruway for the few Western fans who might make the trip. And lodgings abound.

While I do realize that the FF here was poorly attended recently, there were still more tickets sold here back then than there were in Point... And that narrative would have been very different had Hobart (or maybe they were there, I forget), EC, or any of a number of SUNYAC teams qualified. There was just zero local interest in the field that year, and that could happen at any venue in any given season.

I have no idea if Utica is considering bidding again, but I think it's worth another shot.
        Norwich more than made up for it carrying a very large presence, especially for the final on Saturday.
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

An idea I bandied about in the past is having the Frozen Four and either the D-III or Women’s championship in the same city on the same weekend.

https://***********/exileondaytonst/...463843840?s=21

Basically: Imagine the Frozen Four at the new Bucks arena in Milwaukee, then having the D-III championship two blocks away at the UWM Panther arena. The DI arena would be too small, and the DIII arena too big, but you get the idea. It sort of becomes a full hockey extravaganza to have everything clustered together like that. You’d probably get some cross-pollination between the events.

Until last weekend, I might’ve guessed that Buffalo was another ideal candidate tor something like this.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

But, more directly on topic: I have to agree that neutral sites are better to allow for people to better plan their trips.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
              An idea I bandied about in the past is having the Frozen Four and either the D-III or Women’s championship in the same city on the same weekend.

https://***********/exileondaytonst/...463843840?s=21

Basically: Imagine the Frozen Four at the new Bucks arena in Milwaukee, then having the D-III championship two blocks away at the UWM Panther arena. The DI arena would be too small, and the DIII arena too big, but you get the idea. It sort of becomes a full hockey extravaganza to have everything clustered together like that. You’d probably get some cross-pollination between the events.

Until last weekend, I might’ve guessed that Buffalo was another ideal candidate tor something like this.
              The D1 season is 2-3 weeks longer than the D3 men’s and women’s hockey seasons. They arent going to extend the season out longer just to align with D1 men.
              GO LAKERS!!!
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

Given how poor attendance is with the D-I tournament as it is, there’s a good argument for moving the D-I season back a week. Not enough for full alignment, but not nothing.

I tend to think details like this are easily solved when scheduling things a few years in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                  Given how poor attendance is with the D-I tournament as it is, there’s a good argument for moving the D-I season back a week. Not enough for full alignment, but not nothing.

I tend to think details like this are easily solved when scheduling things a few years in advance.
                  I disagree with the idea of treating the DIII championships as the opening act, which is how they would be treated in this scenario. These players deserve to be the main the event of their championship that they worked for.

Comment

Norwich more than made up for it carrying a very large presence, especially for the final on Saturday.
                    It's tough to beat Utica as a neutral site in the East, by almost any yardstick. Probably would have sold-out had an Oswego or Geneseo been there, too.
                    Last edited by Fishman'81; 04-16-2019, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                      It's tough to beat Utica as a neutral site in the East, by almost any yardstick. Probably would have sold-out had an Oswego or Geneseo been there, too.
                      Both definitely would have helped attendance.
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

Both definitely would have helped attendance.
                        My guess is that it would be a long-shot to pack a house for any D-3 FF, barring a perfect storm of geography and local interest.

Having said that, The Aud might have a great shot at a such a circumstance during a given year.

Comment

Only issue if we are talking neutral....the Aud is not a neutral site for D3 hockey...

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

This kind of dovetails into this topic. Yesterday I umpired a softball game at a top college D3 program. Great facility, city, campus.....etc. When talking to coach, the topic came up about hosting a regional or super regional. He said he did it once, never again. He said he couldn't enjoy it because any and every question came to him. Also when his team travels to a site all he needs to worry about is feeding them and making sure they are in their rooms at night. Hosting he said hes gotta worry if some kids make it home after the game😂. He said league playoffs he'll host but that's it. He said put me on a bus and tell me where I'm going.

Comment

Were they allowed to sell beer when the Aud hosted the FF?
                              #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
                                Were they allowed to sell beer when the Aud hosted the FF?
                                99 percent sure they were not allowed.
                                GO LAKERS!!!
                                Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                                X