X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New WCHA is dead

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

The Runaway Seven schools would rather fill 6-10 OOC dates than come to Huntsville.

GFM
    The problem with that is most of the schools that the seven would like to play OOC don't want to come to the barns of the seven, or if they do consider doing it, it's usually in 2 for 1 deals. That makes scheduling a decent number of home games for the seven a problem.

I'd like to add UAH as an 8th team but I don't get to make that decision.
    Last edited by Bill; 07-12-2019, 02:07 PM.

Comment

What has BG said (complaints) about the trip to Huntsville? I'm not arguing with anyone; I just want to know. BG has little reason to complain. As has been said, the trip is shorter than others. Also, it's all Interstate. Also, snow is unlikely most of the way.
      Go Falcons!

Comment

Originally posted by spiehler View Post
        What has BG said (complaints) about the trip to Huntsville? I'm not arguing with anyone; I just want to know. BG has little reason to complain. As has been said, the trip is shorter than others. Also, it's all Interstate. Also, snow is unlikely most of the way.
        Yeah, I'd like to know too! The only whining I ever heard about travel (besides to AK) was Bergeron complaining about the 23 hour trip to Bemidji that one time. I've never heard anyone (fan or from the program) complain about travel to Huntsville.

And we do pretty well with the 1-for-1's.

EDIT: I reread Geoff's comments. Complaining about playing someone is different than complaining about travelling to play someone. And to be honest, I have personally heard our AD complain about the financial commitments of certain league members. Which Geoff alluded to below.
        Last edited by TalonsUpPuckDown; 07-12-2019, 02:55 PM. Reason: Clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
          And we do pretty well with the 1-for-1's.
          You're the only fully D1 school of the seven and you have 6 former CCHA D1 schools within close proximity (OSU, Miami, WMU, Notre Dame, UM, MSU). No surprise that you would have more luck with the 1 for 1s. Even makes it easy for home and home 1 for 1s.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
            You're the only fully D1 school of the seven and you have 6 former CCHA D1 schools within close proximity (OSU, Miami, WMU, Notre Dame, UM, MSU). No surprise that you would have more luck with the 1 for 1s. Even makes it easy for home and home 1 for 1s.
            We generally get 3 home-and-homes a year:

This year home-and-home with Miami State, Western, and Notre Dame
            Last year home-and-home with Bobby Mo, Ohio State, and Western
            Year before home-and-home with Western and Sparty (and should have been Miami State but they asked for HH/AA over two years instead of HA/AH)
            Year before home-and-home with Western and Ohio State (see previous comment about Miami State)
            Year before home-and-home with Western, Ohio State, and Miami State

There's a pattern here...

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill View Post
              The problem with that is most of the schools that the seven would like to play OOC don't want to come to the barns of the seven, or if they do consider doing it, it's usually in 2 for 1 deals. That makes scheduling a decent number of home games for the seven a problem.

I'd like to add UAH as an 8th team but I don't get to make that decision.
              NMU is in the midst of even swaps with St Cloud, Cornell, Michigan St, Boston U and Notre Dame.
              Last edited by davyd83; 07-12-2019, 06:41 PM.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
                EDIT: I reread Geoff's comments. Complaining about playing someone is different than complaining about travelling to play someone. And to be honest, I have personally heard our AD complain about the financial commitments of certain league members. Which Geoff alluded to below.
                Okay, so I feel like telling truth today!

For the R7, you have two tiers:

Mankato, BG, maybe Tech, maybe Northern (given the commitment at/after the hiring of Potulny) definitely have the resources and drive.
                Maybe Bemidji, Ferris, Lake State do; maybe they don't.

I could see any of the four schools in the top tier joining most any league in the country, if invited, and at minimum holding their own. I don't see the other three doing that.

So the question, then, is this: do you want to add a fourth school in that second category, especially when two of the three that you do have are the two most far-flung schools in two of the smallest metropolitan areas in the league?

It never fails me that a bunch of schools from a bunch of podunk towns in the Midwest want to look down on a university with an amazing research reputation, two Division II titles, and a metro area that is larger than the six non-BG schools combined, twice over. Okay then. More people live in my suburb of Huntsville than live in Bemidji, Big Rapids, Houghton, and the Soo.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

It never fails me that a bunch of schools from a bunch of podunk towns in the Midwest want to look down on a university with an amazing research reputation, two Division II titles, and a metro area that is larger than the six non-BG schools combined, twice over. Okay then. More people live in my suburb of Huntsville than live in Bemidji, Big Rapids, Houghton, and the Soo.

GFM
                  You can separate BG from metro Toledo and classify us as our own podunk midwestern town along with the other six. We're actually OK with that.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                    NMU is in the midst of even swaps with St Cloud, Cornell, Michigan St,!Boston U and Notre Dame.
                    Dave, how successful was NMU getting even swaps before Potulny got there? Just curious.

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

GFM
                      *puts on devil's advocate hat*

And how many of them follow Charger hockey at all, let alone attend Charger hockey games? Or do most of them switch over to basketball once Crimson Tide pigskin is done for the year?

Comment

Mankato, BG, maybe Tech, maybe Northern (given the commitment at/after the hiring of Potulny) definitely have the resources and drive.

I could see any of the four schools in the top tier joining most any league in the country, if invited, and at minimum holding their own. I don't see the other three doing that.

So the question, then, is this: do you want to add a fourth school in that second category, especially when two of the three that you do have are the two most far-flung schools in two of the smallest metropolitan areas in the league?

GFM
                        BG's "actual" population is no where near it's "official" population. There's a large amount of University students that claim residency, yet contribute very little locally.

Off the top of my head, Bowling Green is closer to Huntsville than NMU, Tech, and Bemidji. Travel wise, they'd rather go south in the winter. Competition wise, well......

If Huntsville commits to their new building within the next year, they have a shot at #8. Regardless, WCHA men's hockey is dead.

Comment

GFM
                          That's the problem, Huntsville is too big to be "like minded" with the rest of them.

Comment

GFM
                            I hope you get your new arena funded and are the 8th team in the new CCHA. I enjoyed my trip down there.

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                              BG's "actual" population is no where near it's "official" population. There's a large amount of University students that claim residency, yet contribute very little locally.

Off the top of my head, Bowling Green is closer to Huntsville than NMU, Tech, and Bemidji. Travel wise, they'd rather go south in the winter. Competition wise, well......

If Huntsville commits to their new building within the next year, they have a shot at #8.
                              Regardless, WCHA men's hockey is dead.
                              I don't agree with this statement at all...unless those 7 are trying to get away from some top WCHA officials? If the Alaska schools fold up shop, and those 7 are ok with keeping UAH there is no reason to leave.
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

GFM
                                Hey Geof. I'm not in the inner circle of BSU hockey, but I have always heard of the great rivalry we've had (have) and I have heard no one eager to part ways with Huntsville. Actually, there is a "We hate Huntsville" crowd that really loves you guys. Hopefully, this can all work out.

Comment

Working...
                                X