Colgate 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2018-19

I noticed upon reading Dartmouth's recap of the Colgate game that Don Vaughan and his staff set a Colgate Hockey record with being shut out for the 7th time this season. Does anyone know if this stat is correct? Wasn't Mike Harder brought to Hamilton to positively impact the offense? I bleed Maroon. We need a change. Enough is enough. I have followed Colgate Hockey for 20 plus years and donate money annually to the Silver Puck Club. Please Nicki, end the insanity. Open the position up for a National search as soon as the season ends.

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
      Pick your fave...
      “we didn’t give up”
      or
      “too little, too late.”
      I'll add to your list.

Despite playing at home, there weren't any "From the Source" quotes from Vaughan from the last 2 games. What could he possibly say?

"We've come a long way against the Crimson. This time we only spotted Harvard two goals instead of six. It's the little things, so things are looking up."
      "Cornell will be a good test for us."
      "The guys are trying, but maybe the $13 buried under center ice is jinxing the team."
      "I've talked to administration about re-opening Starr to mix things up a bit and get that winning feeling back."
      C O L G A T E
      2023 ECAC CHAMPION
      1990 NCAA FINALS
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
      ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
      ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Raider View Post
        I noticed upon reading Dartmouth's recap of the Colgate game that Don Vaughan and his staff set a Colgate Hockey record with being shut out for the 7th time this season. Does anyone know if this stat is correct?
        IDK...but if true, we may be breaking our own record next weekend. And the weekend thereafter. And the weekend after that.
        C O L G A T E
        2023 ECAC CHAMPION
        1990 NCAA FINALS
        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
        ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
        ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

all of the above is true...the slide continues and seems to be picking up steam...sadly, the only issue in our upcoming games against Cornell is how many times will we be whitewashed, one or two? It's sad and it involves individuals who have given a lot to Colgate and are quality people...but, as has been pointed out many times, this is not simply a two or three year trend...it goes back almost 13 years and I know a lot of us on this thread waited a long, long time before throwing in the towel regarding the leadership of this program...very unfortunate, but in all reality what are we supposed to do?

Comment

Just play your best. Cornell does have a tendency to overlook opposition, as certain teams have figured out...

Comment

Cornell won’t overlook us.

Comment

This will probably come as a shock to everyone but nobody’s picking us this week on the ECAC pickem thread.

Maybe we’ll lose Friday but win Saturday at Lynah, kind of like how we did with QPac a few weeks ago.

But I wouldn’t bet the farm on it.

Comment

4-22-7.

Going back to the start of the 2004-2005 season, we only have FOUR wins and TWENTY-TWO losses against our travel partners. We've earned at least 9 wins EACH against every other team in the ECAC (not counting Vermont, which left for Hockey East in 2005) in that same timespan - 14 and a half years! The home game against Cornell is the ONE game where students come out in full force and we have a sellout crowd, giving us a "true" home-ice/home-crowd advantage. But we lose, even in seasons like 2014-15 where we win 22 overall games.

To add insult to injury, we haven't even scored a single goal against the Big Red since 2016. That's a goal drought of 188 minutes, 17 seconds and counting. FIVE times this season our opponent has had the luxury of not having to hear our goal horn. (I wonder if *that* is a curse?) Back in 2007-2008, Mark Dekanich had a shutout streak of 217 minutes, 28 seconds. Oh how the the times have changed

The point is, I'm frustrated that we seem to have fallen into a bottomless pit since the success we had from 2013-15. We all are. I'll be happy if we can score at least 1 goal this weekend.
                  Colgate '09

Comment

The women play Cornell home Friday at 3:00 PM, #6 vs #8. Two hours off then 7:30 men. Hope the women win, two losses to Cornell would really hurt.
                    Last edited by sshablak; 01-23-2019, 10:06 AM.
                    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Well, it is Cornell weekend. Not going to lie not as pumped up as I normally am after the past two weekends. I was very excited after the QU and Princeton weekend, but after two duds it is hard to be too confident or excited.

Comment

Originally posted by red133883 View Post
                        Well, it is Cornell weekend. Not going to lie not as pumped up as I normally am after the past two weekends. I was very excited after the QU and Princeton weekend, but after two duds it is hard to be too confident or excited.
                        Yep. Was thinking I'd drive back up for today's games but after last weekend it just didn't seem worth the trip

Comment

I can't even tell you how many DECADES ago I missed a Cornell at home game, very sad. Noone's excited, no banter here, I don't think the game will sellout tonight either.
                          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Well, now I feel bad for driving up from Owego and getting a hotel in Syracuse and even coming to the afternoon women’s game. I thought this weekend was the one where we all show our support for Colgate D-1 hockey, regardless of how the team(s) are doing. Oops!

Comment

Anybody care to give a thumbnail preview of Gate for tonight?

For Cornell, we're playing very well right now with good performance on offense, defense, and goaltending. On offense Barron (27) and Donaldson (7) are our big scoring threats, with Vanderlaan (14) and defenseman Kaldis (8) play-makers to watch. Our best freshman, center Andreev (15) was injured last weekend and looks like he's out until the playoffs if not the season, so you don't have him to worry about.

On defense, like always, it's everybody blocking shots and back checking. We aren't that aggressive playing the puck carrier; we tend to bend but not break and then try to win the race to the corner or any puck left with space. We are way faster and more agile than we used to be, particularly at the blue line, so combined with shot blocking we've been able to hold SOG totals down.

In net we have a two-sophomore rotation. I'm guessing you'll see Galajda (35) in Hamilton as he's been taking the tougher game, and McGrath (32) at Lynah. They've been both performing about equally well, never messing up and making the plays they need to. Neither is flashy. McGrath wanders a bit more but nothing compared to some of the ECAC goalies we've seen.

We've gotten out to good starts, especially on the current 6-0-1 streak, but our style of play is very even regardless of the score and time. It's the usual from Schafer: fundamentals and then take advantage of mistakes or open lanes. It's not a team that creates big chances, but one which exploits what it's given.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 01-25-2019, 03:24 PM.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Kepler = my thumbnail preview:

We are not a team that scores goals. Think we are averaging just 1 or slightly over 1 goal a game. The guys are hustling and playing with heart but you don't often see it on the scoreboard. Our defense can have lapses. Penalties are down from some years. McMann seems to be the BMOC. It's typical Don Vaughan hockey, no surprise there. The team is sometimes prone to getting behind early. Expect a pesky team but Cornell definitely should be favored in both games. Stranger things have happened: look at our road wins over Princeton and QU. But that appears to have been a season highlight so far. I'd be happy with one point, and overjoyed by 2 on the weekend series. We have not done well historically against the Big Red - especially in the last 10-15 years.
                                COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Working...
                                X