Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 19-20: Where We Kinda Want Clemson As Champion.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: College Football 19-20: Where We Kinda Want Clemson As Champion.

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    So a B1G team can make it?
    I'd be fine with 4 too. But, it is incredibly bloated at 16.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Hmm...still no Notre Dame. 32?
      We make it in 16.

32 gets you three 5-loss teams.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        We make it in 16.

32 gets you three 5-loss teams.
        Your link didn't work. I guess we'll see if they sneak in the Top 16 of the CFP Rankings.
        North Dakota
        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Yes, but if you went to 32 games, you’d have a situation where teams might actually have to win literally 3, maybe even 4(!) actual meaningful games to win a national title. The horror.

/sarcasm
          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            I'd be fine with 4 too. But, it is incredibly bloated at 16.
            There just aren't enough non-conference games (in either sport) to justify keeping conference champions out of the mix. The fact that you could have 5 undefeated Power 5 teams, and one would get left out, shows that the current system is flawed. I also don't like the fact that the Group of 5 schools have absolutely zero opportunity to win a national championship.
            North Dakota

Comment

A broken clock is correct twice a day as well. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed.
              Point to five examples in the last twenty years where more than four teams could legitimately claim to be the best team in the nation.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                Point to five examples in the last twenty years where more than four teams could legitimately claim to be the best team in the nation.
                The year Ohio State was snubbed and the undefeated UCF season.
                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  Just about every season. That's the problem when you have only 4 spots for 5 conference champions (not to mention Group of 5 champions).

Since the Playoff started (2014):

2014 - Baylor and TCU were both 11-1 and could legitimately claim to be the best team in the nation.
                  2015 - Stanford was 11-2, and both Iowa and Ohio State were 12-1, each of these teams could legitimately claim to be the best team in the nation.
                  2016 - Both Penn State (11-2) and Oklahoma (10-2) could legitimately claim to be the best team in the nation.
                  2017 - Ohio State (11-2), Wisconsin (12-1), and UCF (12-0) all could legitimately claim to be the best team in the nation.
                  2018 - Ohio State (12-1) and UCF (12-0) could legitimately claim to be the best team in the nation.

So...every year since the Playoff started? Even this year, Oregon could legitimately claim to be the best team in the nation.
                  Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 12-08-2019, 03:21 PM.
                  North Dakota

Comment

2014, maybe. But when four other teams manage an extra win, tough **** playing in a conference without a championship I guess.
                    2015, I could see an argument here. Iowa and OSU but definitely not Stanford.
                    2016, no. Those teams all had two losses. There were more teams that actually won their games.
                    2017, OSU no. They lost twice. Alabama probably didn’t deserve to be there. Other teams managed 12 wins.
                    2018, Hard to handle a 12-0 UCF. They had a weakish schedule so you could hold that against them.

Easy way to fix this is no more FCS games. Eliminate the 12-team barrier for conference championships.
                    Code:
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Probably wouldn't need 8 this year but 6 would be good. The current 4, add Pac 12 champ and best group of 5 team in Memphis. The FCS is able to manage with byes. So 1 and 2 get a bye and maybe you could have 3 v 6 and 4 v 5 on campus.

Clemson vs. Memphis
                      Oklahoma vs. Oregon

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        2014, maybe. But when four other teams manage an extra win, tough **** playing in a conference without a championship I guess.
                        2015, I could see an argument here. Iowa and OSU but definitely not Stanford.
                        2016, no. Those teams all had two losses. There were more teams that actually won their games.
                        2017, OSU no. They lost twice. Alabama probably didn’t deserve to be there. Other teams managed 12 wins.
                        2018, Hard to handle a 12-0 UCF. They had a weakish schedule so you could hold that against them.

Easy way to fix this is no more FCS games. Eliminate the 12-team barrier for conference championships.
                        They did eliminate the 12 team barrier. It’s why the Big XII and Sun Belt have championship games. It’s also a reason why New Mexico St is an independent. Around the time Idaho dropped was when the rule change happened, and the Sun Belt realized they could kick NMSU out and still have a title game.
                        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                          There just aren't enough non-conference games (in either sport) to justify keeping conference champions out of the mix. The fact that you could have 5 undefeated Power 5 teams, and one would get left out, shows that the current system is flawed. I also don't like the fact that the Group of 5 schools have absolutely zero opportunity to win a national championship.
                          Exactly how I feel about it. There were people that said a playoff would never happen. The playoff will extend to at least 6 teams in the future.

Comment

Maximize the fact you insist on these conference championships. If you're one of these people who would be butthurt over Wisconsin making it over OSU in that type of scenario (had they won last night, go to 8). I'm good with that though, I don't need more than that.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              Maximize the fact you insist on these conference championships. If you're one of these people who would be butthurt over Wisconsin making it over OSU in that type of scenario (had they won last night, go to 8). I'm good with that though, I don't need more than that.
                              I insist? No, but they are just another game on the schedule. If a team wins 12 games that’s more than 11 in most normal number systems.

Wisconsin shouldn’t have made it even if they beat OSU. They didn’t have the resume. There’s no arguing that. They lost twice. Tough ****.
                              Code:

Comment

Huh? I wasn't responding to you, more the college football structure. But simply saying a team lost twice is dumb since there are two loss teams that can be and are better than one loss teams. Non conference schedules are different, not every conference is on equal footing etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X