Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/02/o...mc44cbSaSod36M

Haven't seen the full studies but if you don't support health care for your populace the outcome is bound to be not good. How ironic that the red states are dying earlier while the red party tells its base they shouldn't support anything that could help them. Seems self defeating to kill off your populace earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      The article that you linked to says immunizations in the country plummeted after an incident that occurred last year in which improperly prepared vaccines caused the death of a couple of children.
      Yes, but Kennedy’s org was the one spreading disinformation about it even after the real cause, improper handling and a coverup by the handler, was uncovered.

I know it goes against your FYIGM principles, but they have a responsibility to NOT spread non-factual public health information and clean up the mess they’ve created.

This is no different than a company polluting the waterways and saying, “Meh, you’re ****ing problem now.”
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        Yes, but Kennedy’s org was the one spreading disinformation about it even after the real cause, improper handling and a coverup by the handler, was uncovered.

I know it goes against your FYIGM principles, but they have a responsibility to NOT spread non-factual public health information and clean up the mess they’ve created.

This is no different than a company polluting the waterways and saying, “Meh, you’re ****ing problem now.”
        The first I’ve seen of anything Kennedy said about the Samoa situation was from the summer of 2018. By then vaccination rates in Samoa had already dropped from the 80 or 90 percent rate to about 30. I doubt his info helped matters, but the measles outbreak problem was already sown by that point.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

This was really interesting and hit home - Men and women aren’t equal when it comes to concussion.

Comment

• Originally posted by jen View Post
            This was really interesting and hit home - Men and women aren’t equal when it comes to concussion.
            There is truth to this. I know the concussion rates in women’s soccer is significantly higher than men’s soccer.
            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Link with data

Fascinating stuff regarding concussion rates in sports:
              Game Play

Men’s rugby match play (3.00/1,000 AE)
              Men’s American football (2.5/1,000 AE)
              Women’s ice hockey (2.27/1,000 AE)
              Men’s Ice hockey (1.63/1,000 AE)
              Women’s soccer (1.48/1,000 AE)
              Men’s football (or soccer) (1.07/1,000 AE)
              During practice

Men’s rugby (0.37/1,000 AE)
              Women’s ice hockey (0.31/1,000 AE)
              Men’s American football (0.30/1,000 AE)
              Women’s football (or soccer) (0.13/1,000 AE)
              Men’s ice hockey (0.12/1,000 AE)
              Men’s football (or soccer) (0.08/1,000 AE)
              I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Why the hell are they that different?
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  Why the hell are they that different?
                  According to the article jen posted (which is very fascinating to this soccer referee btw, thank you for posting it) then don’t really know because there hasn’t been much research but they have theories:
                  Understanding exactly why women are more susceptible to concussion will be essential, if we are to reduce those risks. Recent research has focused on three main theories.
                  Some researchers have proposed that it may be due to the fact that female necks tend to be slimmer and less muscular than male ones.
                  Remember that the brain is free to move within the skull – it is like jelly tightly packed into a Tupperware container – and this means that any sharp movement of the head can cause it to shift around, potentially causing damage.
                  For this reason, anything that helps to protect the skull from sharp movements should protect you from concussion – and that includes a sturdier neck that is better able to buffer a blow.
                  “If you have a thicker neck, you have a stronger base, so the likelihood of head movement is much less,” says Raghupathi.
                  Overall, the girth of a female neck is about 30 per cent smaller than a male, and this increases the potential acceleration of the head by as much as 50 per cent, according to one study.
                  The second idea that researchers have pointed to is some small anatomical differences within the brain itself. Female brains are thought to have slightly faster metabolisms than male ones, with greater blood flow to the head: essentially, they are slightly hungrier. And if a head injury momentarily disrupts that supply of glucose and oxygen, it could cause greater damage.
                  The third possibility lies in female sex hormones – with some striking evidence that the risk of concussion changes with varying hormone levels during the menstrual cycle.
                  And I agree with the assertion that female athletes are far more likely to hide or play through injuries, women’s soccer has a culture that actively encourages it, almost as an overcompensation to them and the sport as being seen as “weak”.
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                    There is truth to this. I know the concussion rates in women’s soccer is significantly higher than men’s soccer.
                    Those numbers are eye-opening. Huge differences in every sport.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                      I work with two women who have both had concussions in the past year or so. One was minor (bumped her head, not that hard, in the wrong spot) while the other was caused by a car accident where she was a pedestrian. We're about 8 months out for the minor bump (her words), and she's still light sensitive. We're a little more than a year out from the car striking the other lady, and she's back in the office, wearing sunglasses and this improvised shade setup around her PC monitors. No men in my office have reported concussions recently. I've had between 5 and 7 in my life, and I've yet to report the side effects lasting more than a few days. Only two have caused me to blackout during the time of the event.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        I work with two women who have both had concussions in the past year or so. One was minor (bumped her head, not that hard, in the wrong spot) while the other was caused by a car accident where she was a pedestrian. We're about 8 months out for the minor bump (her words), and she's still light sensitive. We're a little more than a year out from the car striking the other lady, and she's back in the office, wearing sunglasses and this improvised shade setup around her PC monitors. No men in my office have reported concussions recently. I've had between 5 and 7 in my life, and I've yet to report the side effects lasting more than a few days. Only two have caused me to blackout during the time of the event.
                        I think understanding the differences in how men and women recover can lead to better recovery for everyone, and understanding more about what's happening to the brain. It's so fuzzy right now, and there is a LOT of ignorance in the medical community - it doesn't help that you can't "see" a concussion, and doctors have to rely on what the patient says. I've seen probably 14 different medical professionals - some understand concussions and have been helpful, but most don't, and, at worst, have made things worse (or been a waste of time and money). Knowing the root cause of different post-concussion issues is a battle, and brains are funny. It's not like any other injury.

My first concussion, I missed 2 weeks of work. Was back to completely normal (including hockey) in probably 3 months. It's been 7 months for this one, and I am still only able to work part-time, with post-concussion issues doing many things. I'm told this is not unusual.

Very small sample size, but there you go.
                        Last edited by jen; 12-10-2019, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          No men in my office have reported concussions recently. I've had between 5 and 7 in my life
                          Concussions, or men?

Sorry. Also: how the hell have you had so many concussions?
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            Concussions, or men?

Sorry. Also: how the hell have you had so many concussions?
                            The ones I can recall:
                            #1 was when I was 6 or 7, I don't remember... I was on a hockey rink without a helmet. I woke up while being dragged into my house.

#2 concussion was at a park, where I was pushed over the edge of a slide, about 10 feet off the ground, and landed on one of the concrete support footings. I still have the scar from that one.

#3 and 4 happened in high school, playing football.

#5 was playing softball. I was pitching and the batter spun the clown. "I'm so sorry! I've never hit a ball that hard in my life." Thanks. It got me in the upper part of the bridge of my nose and my forehead. I ended up being driven to the ER by a couple firefighter buddies of mine. X-rays showed my nose broke in three directions from the impact site, six stitches to close the skin, and a mini-tampon crammed up both of my nostrils; the MRI was negative for "serious" brain damage. Two weeks later the ENT doc was giving me cocaine before resetting my nose, and more tampons shoved up my nostrils for another two weeks. I don't like cocaine. Or tampons in nose.

#6 I was playing hockey on an outdoor rink, with a helmet, back in 2011 or so. I was skating backwards, hit a big rut/crack in the ice. My skate was stuck, and I went down hard. The next thing I remember I was on my skates again while my friends were trying to get me to the warming house. And then I drove home.

So I'm not sure if I've had #7 or not, so I'll leave the count at six for now.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

How are you not signing your name with drool by now?

Comment

Mama always said I was thickheaded.

Comment

Working...
                                X