This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2019-2020: Time to Get Offensive

Anybody watching Todd's wrap up on facebook? The fire alarm just went off in the Kohl Center...

Badgers were hot tonight but that's ridiculous.
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
      Anybody watching Todd's wrap up on facebook? The fire alarm just went off in the Kohl Center...

Badgers were hot tonight but that's ridiculous.
      Big fan of his recaps. He's unpolished, but that's what makes it good. He's "one of us" so to speak. He just speaks what he feels.

And yes, the fire alarm was rather funny.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
        Big fan of his recaps. He's unpolished, but that's what makes it good. He's "one of us" so to speak. He just speaks what he feels.

And yes, the fire alarm was rather funny.
        I don't know about one of "us"... I mean he's probably a lot smarter than we are.

btw- I never want the gophs to win, but the advent of the B1G has made it necessary that B1G teams win a lot of NC games and has put me in the terrible position of thinking tonight, "the freakin gophs can't lose to Niagra, that will be terrible for us! Win the Stupid Game Gophers!" Which you guys did, so good job. I guess. blech.
        Originally posted by WiscTJK
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

I knew I wouldn't be able to attend since I was on my way back to Madison on an over-nighter in Indy. I did something maybe illegal while driving...I tapped into my DIRECTV account and streamed the game. Obviously I couldn't watch while on the I system, but listened to the great audio with Posick and Andringa. It sounded great except for some D lapses that Ringo mentioned. I was able to see one of Caufield's scores (how does he get open) but I'll watch the game in the AM.

Posick sounded disappointed in the crowd, as was I in the pre-game sales. He DID mention 6000+ at the Fieldhouse and many big high school football games.

Hopefully a big gate tomorrow and a sweep. 🚨
          Last edited by MadCityRich; 10-19-2019, 12:46 AM.
          "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

It was an interesting night.

Volleyball game certainly pulled some of the crowd away, especially one of the most important parts of the gameday experience (Phil!)

Took a nice walk around the concourse to look at all of the jerseys up on the wall. Pretty impressive display.

Revamped pregame videos, a bit more pumped up and "edgy".

Lots of good play. The goal from Cole 1 minute in was awesome. The scrap a few minutes later put some energy into the place, too bad it ended up with some funky penalty time (UMD had one guy off for a 5 min major, but UW had 2 guys in for 2 min minors...so UMD got a 4-3 PP for 2 minutes, which got them on the board, leading to some 4 on 4 time, then some 5 on 4 PP for UW. But one of the really nice new things that this showed was that the refs are mic'd up. So they announce the penalties, what they are reviewing, what the result of the review was...I really liked that.

The end of the game brought a few new interesting twists. The whole UW team came down towards the student section for Varsity after the game, I'd love to see that be a thing after every game, W/L/T. There is then a 3 stars selection, PA guy calls out the players and then they skate back out on to the ice and toss a puck over the glass to someone, that's a real nice touch.

Overall it felt like a pretty good night, just need to work on that PP entry and clean up the sloppy drop passes...I think I saw 2 different times where we dropped the puck right to a UMD player.

Oh, and #5 for UMD seemed pretty chippy and chirpy. Lots of jawing at UW players and pointing to his chest, maybe they have a national champ patch on the jersey that he was reminding people about or something like that.

Hope for more of the same tonight!

Comment

I think it's a good night when my only complaints are the team needs to run a box on the penalty kill, Kalynuk needs to be better, and Miller needs to recognize a play and hustle better.

Weissbach-Turcotte-Caufield was amazing. I thought Lebedeff really dialed in after the second goal against. 0 5v5 goals against. +4 goals at even strength. Even special teams. Out shot them 37-28.

I thought the crowd at puck drop was rough. It did really fill out as the game went on. However, in my section, the rest of the entire row was empty. My buddy looked online to see if he could get his fiance a ticket and the closet one was up a level and a few sections over. That means people had the tickets but, for one reason or another, didn't show up.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                It was an interesting night.

Volleyball game certainly pulled some of the crowd away, especially one of the most important parts of the gameday experience (Phil!)
                Wait, Phil was at volleyball? I've seen him there before, but never during hockey. I can't be the only one who immediately fears that something is wrong when he's absent.

Backup Phil did a great job, but it took the "old people" in the surrounding sections a couple of times to figure it out. (Though to my earlier comments about newbies getting first exposure to Badgers hockey games, experiencing what it's like, enjoying it, and getting into it....that's a good thing!)

As for the crowd size, I'd firmly categorize it in the "not terrible for recent history in October, certainly not where you'd like it to be at all (especially given the matchup), but pretty okay for what it was, I guess" category.

The lower bowl was pretty close to full, the second deck was fairly full on the sides, but with noticeable stretches of empty seats (especially towards the ends), and the third deck was mostly empty, save for a handful of people who wanted the bird's eye view. I was disappointed in the number of students given how much they've been pushing things, but I have a feeling there will be a solid bump tonight (maybe the people who did the "student night" thing at the volleyball match go hockey tonight?). I hope so. The "experienced" students are fighting the good fight in guiding the shy newbies around them.

"Old people" ticket sales are looking good. Lower bowl is sold out, second deck only has single seats available, and the upper deck at least won't be barren. (And who knows, maybe more day-of-game sales after last night's result?)

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                  Wait, Phil was at volleyball? I've seen him there before, but never during hockey. I can't be the only one who immediately fears that something is wrong when he's absent.

Backup Phil did a great job, but it took the "old people" in the surrounding sections a couple of times to figure it out. (Though to my earlier comments about newbies getting first exposure to Badgers hockey games, experiencing what it's like, enjoying it, and getting into it....that's a good thing!)

As for the crowd size, I'd firmly categorize it in the "not terrible for recent history in October, certainly not where you'd like it to be at all (especially given the matchup), but pretty okay for what it was, I guess" category.

The lower bowl was pretty close to full, the second deck was fairly full on the sides, but with noticeable stretches of empty seats (especially towards the ends), and the third deck was mostly empty, save for a handful of people who wanted the bird's eye view. I was disappointed in the number of students given how much they've been pushing things, but I have a feeling there will be a solid bump tonight (maybe the people who did the "student night" thing at the volleyball match go hockey tonight?). I hope so. The "experienced" students are fighting the good fight in guiding the shy newbies around them.

"Old people" ticket sales are looking good. Lower bowl is sold out, second deck only has single seats available, and the upper deck at least won't be barren. (And who knows, maybe more day-of-game sales after last night's result?)
                  When the students chanted “Where is Phil?” At the beginning of the game, Mrs. Phil pantomimed that he is recuperating from knee surgery. Hope he’s on the mend soon!

Comment

Went to check in with last night's game....my cable provider had the following on the 3 channels of fox college sports....."programming on this network is no longer available"..

I have figured out I can (currently) stream FCS programing on the Fox Sports Go app on my tablet.....so I guess that works.
                    2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                    2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                    2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                    2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                    2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                    2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                    2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                    Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                    1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Phil was definitely missed. Hope he gets back soon.

Students need a bit more work with their cheers. They totally missed the "We want ice cream!" opportunity.

In time they will get there.
                      Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
                        Went to check in with last night's game....my cable provider had the following on the 3 channels of fox college sports....."programming on this network is no longer available"..

I have figured out I can (currently) stream FCS programing on the Fox Sports Go app on my tablet.....so I guess that works.
                        ...but the game was on Fox Sports Wisconsin!

Comment

Very glad that Phil is on track to be back! I was wondering where he was at the women's opener as well (where there are reliable backup Phils on the east side).

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                          Phil was definitely missed. Hope he gets back soon.

Students need a bit more work with their cheers. They totally missed the "We want ice cream!" opportunity.

In time they will get there.
                          Talking to some younger acquaintances who definitely know what's up, apparently a few did remember the frozen dairy chanting, but they've got a lot of heavy lifting to do. I could tell during one of the traditional 3rd period songs that a giant percentage of the student section didn't know what was happening (hopefully listening and learning). I suspect it wasn't just students who were going for the first time, but students who went to their first games towards the end of last year. And one of the newer goalie songs - that I shall not repeat - got interrupted as sometimes happens, but the oldies are teaching the newbies.

There were a few chants that I couldn't quite make out but had great participation, so I can only assume they were some of those off-the-cuff situational ones, which means there's still that extra something-something, which is all I can ask for as a reluctant "old person." (I did get one of those cool student shirts, though.)

I'm glad that there are noticeable groups of new fans in the first home series, rather than at the end of the home schedule. I always like when visibly new fans get sucked into the experience, but it's even better when there are more games left for them to come back to!

I'm psyched for tonight's game. Is everyone else psyched for tonight's game? Please be appropriately psyched for tonight's game.

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                            I'm psyched for tonight's game. Is everyone else psyched for tonight's game? Please be appropriately psyched for tonight's game.
                            I may not be psyched, but probably will be very psyched.
                            Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

• Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                              I may not be psyched, but probably will be very psyched.
                              Football has killed my mood till about 6:30. That should be enough vent time.

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
                                Football has killed my mood till about 6:30. That should be enough vent time.
                                Dammit, you HAD to bring that up.
                                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Working...
                                X