Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 55th Great Lakes Invitational

Originally posted by umichjim View Post
    What is with the parking situation? I have been checking Park Whiz and they say parking is available near the pizzarena from noon until 5 pm on Monday but every lot nearby is sold out after that. The second game on Monday begins at 4 pm so my car needs to be there until 7:30 or so. Will they tow me out after 5 pm? Can't find a number to call to ask somebody.
    Just got a notification that the parking time has extended to 8pm.

Comment

Any streaming on FoxSportsGo?
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
        Any streaming on FoxSportsGo?
        FLO has all four games ... Fox will show only the finals,

Comment

I wish I could figure Michigan out. they are such a Jekyll and Hyde team. They are beating PSU and Wisconsin and losing to UNH. I don't get it, but i'm sure they will show up big time for tonight's game.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
            So, if Tech played MSU on the second day from 82-84, when did the tournament go to Tech alternating between MSU and UM on day one?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
            I'd guess when the 3 schools were no longer in the same conference. From 1981-1984 Tech, Michigan and Michigan State were all in the CCHA. UM and MSU play each other plenty in conference play, so having them faceoff day one is boring.

Agree with others that the timing of games shows this tournament to be an afterthought. With 2 pro teams and the new arena being a prime event hall, weekends are claimed for better revenue. This season's 'dual in the D' is scheduled for a Monday night. I hope no one attends.

For the event timing, I thought there was decent attendance yesterday. I know I had fun. I love years where we don't play Tech first, because then I can cheer both games.

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
            I wish I could figure Michigan out. they are such a Jekyll and Hyde team. They are beating PSU and Wisconsin and losing to UNH. I don't get it, but i'm sure they will show up big time for tonight's game.
            a. you mean this afternoon's game
            b. Michigan is bad for a Michigan team. The defensive struggles we've had for years continue. There isn't a crazy good offense to cover it up. Strauss Mann is a better goalie then we've had for a few years, but he's unlikely to steal games.
            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
            7 B1G
            7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
            6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
            5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
            5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
            2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
            2 Alaskan

Comment

Anyone else have parking wiz problems for today’s game? We bought them, but they didn’t show for today. When we called Ticketmaster, they claim we parking for 1/1/21

Comment

Nice.
                BSME 1995 | MSME 2000 | Father wasn't actually a miner on u. Malamute

Comment

Here's a few things to think about concerning the GLi.
                  what was the attendance? I'd bet based on Monday that total attendance was 33,000 some odd fans. Where else you going to get that. It's a big, high pressure, high visibility event.
                  NHL scouts, plenty of them. More than any other College Hockey event? close. Maybe the tournament is bigger, but not by much. Most of these holiday tournaments are played in front of like 3000 fans, and 1 or two scouts. There are two Big Ten, high vis teams in this every year. There is a lot of media and a lot of ink. And not just in Detroit.
                  If I was some other school this is the kind of event my players want to be in, it's big-time..If I was anyone else, anywhere else, I'd be calling MTU and trying to get in. I think other schools such as BG who have been here can attest to what it does for a program. I'm proud that MTU has been involved all these years. There is great hockey and a great time.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Congrats to MTU on the win. How many were in the building for the game? The USCHO boxscore has a dummy attendance of 0 for both games.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                      Congrats to MTU on the win. How many were in the building for the game? The USCHO boxscore has a dummy attendance of 0 for both games.
                      Day One attendance was listed at 16k. Day Two seemed a couple thousand fewer. My guesstimate would be about 13-14k.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                        Day One attendance was listed at 16k. Day Two seemed a couple thousand fewer. My guesstimate would be about 13-14k.

I thought that was odd that there were so many people on Monday v Tuesday- could be that MSU lost their first game, could be that the game was 12/31, could be a lot of things. More Tech fans than Michigan, from what I could hear.

Comment

Congrats to the Huskies on the win. Michigan was outplayed in the 3rd.

Tuesday's attendance could have had the upper bowl curtained off. When I got to the building (3rd period of the State vs. Ferris game) there were upper level ushers discussing how many fans were in their sections (2, 0, and 8) and that they were telling people they could go sit in the lower level.
                          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                          7 B1G
                          7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                          6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                          5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                          5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                          2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                          2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                            Subplot: Will anyone from MSU or Michigan actually show up to watch their teams play?

I think it is long overdue for Tech to take over the tourney as sole hosts and make it three invites each year, at most ONE other from the state of Michigan each year. Going to a 4th Michigan team as the invite every year was the biggest mistake in the history of the GLI. I get that they want more local attendance, but there are plenty of other teams that can be invited that will draw more fans than Michigan or State put in the seats.
                            Do you think Olympia would be amenable to eliminating Michigan, MSU or both?
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                              I would be more than happy to see Michigan and State ALTERNATE years coming to the tourney and opening yet another slot for OUT OF STATE invites. Michigan and MSU see enough of each other in the Big Mistake regular season and maybe again in the playoffs. No reason for them both to be in the same tourney as well. From what I've seen, maybe only being in it every other year will get their fans to actually show up when they play?

As a grand vision, I would love to see Tech take over this tourney and start running it on their own. It is clear that the Tech fan base views it as an even they look forward to and Michigan / Michigan State fans generally could care less. Their bands don't show up. Their student sections don't show up. And their fans barely show up. They are either watching football bowl games, men's college basketball, women's college basketball and eventually their hockey team comes in somewhere in the top 10 things that get their fans' attention.

I think a better GLI field would be Tech every year, MSU/Michigan alternate as team #2, #3 is a local team from within a 3-4 hours of Detroit (so the marketing folks don't panic about attendance) and the 4th team drawn from anywhere (hopefully from ECAC, AH, HE or we'd even settle for an NCHC team). The tourney's footprint has gotten too local and it is time to push it back onto the national stage. Want to minimize the Michigan feel even more, replace the MSU/Michigan two-team alternation with ANY Michigan D-I team. So everyone in Michigan gets a shot at the GLI, but your chance comes up once every five years (assuming all of the teams even want a spot).
                              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                              Originally posted by geezer
                              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                              Originally posted by manurespreader
                              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                                There is a great misnomer of Detroit being a Hockeytown. This is false it is a Red Wing Hockeytown. Most are clueless when it comes to college hockey. Take a look at what was written in the local online papers. I could be wrong but I would state easily 2 MTU fans to 1 UM and MSU fan. For those two bases to show up the teams have to be very good that year.

Bring a team from out east is great if it brings some name recognition. ie UMass will not.

What other rink options are there if any? LCA is nice and new BUT no impressed with the service or the Ilitches way of doing business.

Comment

Working...
                                X