Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Season?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Get well quickly, Coach McDonnell.

Good luck, Coach Ricky.
    Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
      Get well quickly, Coach McDonnell.

Good luck, Coach Ricky.
      dc
      I apparently missed some big news! If coach Mac is being replaced (even short term), and there is no game for a week and a half, he must have something very significant going on. Please share.

Comment

Coach Mac taking a leave of absence for health reasons. Santos taking over in the interim. Came out in a UNH email today. No additional details.

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
          Coach Mac taking a leave of absence for health reasons. Santos taking over in the interim. Came out in a UNH email today. No additional details.
          Saw that news this morning. Wish Coach Mac well

I think Ricky will be fine at the helm.
          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
            Saw that news this morning. Wish Coach Mac well

I think Ricky will be fine at the helm.
            Yes but still a very unfortunate turn for coach and all. If passion sold by the pound the guy would be a multimillionaire.

Comment

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to a very likeable guy who quite literally saved his program AND got a brand new stadium built as a result. It is terrible timing (not that one has control of these things), which probably underscores the serious nature of whatever has developed here.
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                Yes but still a very unfortunate turn for coach and all. If passion sold by the pound the guy would be a multimillionaire.
                Agree. Very unfortunate. Hope he kicks the feckin arse out of whatever is going on. If anybody can, he can I suspect
                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Great article about Pots and his time with the Calder Cup.

https://deadspin.com/the-ahl-playoff...the-1837614256

Comment

• Originally posted by msprice View Post
                    Great article about Pots and his time with the Calder Cup.

https://deadspin.com/the-ahl-playoff...the-1837614256
                    Thanks for posting this link, msprice.

Gotta pick up the pace here if we are to complete 1000 posts before start of new season.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                      Thanks for posting this link, msprice.

Gotta pick up the pace here if we are to complete 1000 posts before start of new season.
                      Okay, let's get rolling!
                      Any word on our friend from Sweden's eligibility and when?
                      I am projecting 105 goals scored this year. Up 15 from last years total of 90. Lots of improvement and stepping up but we will feel the loss of BVR in many roles. Loved his PK and the long reach.
                      could be the best 6 on D in a long time!
                      Tied 9 games last year...win 5 and we are decent!

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                        Okay, let's get rolling!
                        Any word on our friend from Sweden's eligibility and when?
                        I am projecting 105 goals scored this year. Up 15 from last years total of 90. Lots of improvement and stepping up but we will feel the loss of BVR in many roles. Loved his PK and the long reach.
                        could be the best 6 on D in a long time!
                        Tied 9 games last year...win 5 and we are decent!
                        Agreed; so glad that none of our blue liners left early. And, I like our goalies. Likewise, will miss watching BvR putting in a full four years as a Cat, although good that he outdid his older bros by earning a degree.

Any predictions on the line composition early in the season? Besides our Swede, which frosh will get ice time up front this season?

And, can we improve on eighth from last regular season?

Comment

Agreed; so glad that none of our blue liners left early. And, I like our goalies. Likewise, will miss watching BvR putting in a full four years as a Cat, although good that he outdid his older bros by earning a degree.

Any predictions on the line composition early in the season? Besides our Swede, which frosh will get ice time up front this season?

Thanks for the reply, I was about ask if you were just chumming? Thought I tossed out some honest questions and then some hockey related observations. Guess in will have to wait until September for everyone's hockey juices to start.

Comment

The defense does look good for the coming season. Picking up on ATW's point, I'd say it's the best it's looked in the last 5-6 years since the days when TVR/Knodel/Pesce/Agosta were combined with the likes of Kostolansky and Hardowa (and then Cleland and Maller), with Quast around for decent depth. In retrospect, it's a shame that those seasons were hampered by Borek's reliance on strength in numbers up front. Add a couple of truly dynamic impact players up there (with CDS in goal) and it could really have been special.

Goalies should be fine, nothing spectacular, but a steady Robinson and an improved Taylor should be good enough to push the 'Cats up a couple slots (hopefully more) in the RS standings, and should be a threat to advance to Boston. It would be great to see UNH in Boston, and BvR and his new teammates coming up short. Not that anyone cares, but BvR has dropped a notch in WIS' annual survey of our favorite vR brothers:

(1) TvR - 3 year player, left after a career threatening injury, has a ring, has exceeded all expectations
                            (2) JvR - 2 year player, not quite Jack Eichel-level impact at UNH, still no ring and no NHL All-Star calls

(3) BvR - 3 year player, left to chase glory with defending HE champs, no NHL reunions likely with bros

Side note: when looking through some of the forwards from the early part of this decade, I noticed that Stevie Moses - despite signing a big post-KHL contract with Nashville - has still yet to play a single game in the NHL. He's barely played the equivalent of a half-season at the AHL level, and the Preds cut ties with him virtually weeks after he'd signed with them. He's now back in the KHL, trying to recapture whatever form it was that escaped him 5 years ago now. Sadly, an all-too-typical post-UNH career.
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              The defense does look good for the coming season. Picking up on ATW's point, I'd say it's the best it's looked in the last 5-6 years since the days when TVR/Knodel/Pesce/Agosta were combined with the likes of Kostolansky and Hardowa (and then Cleland and Maller), with Quast around for decent depth. In retrospect, it's a shame that those seasons were hampered by Borek's reliance on strength in numbers up front. Add a couple of truly dynamic impact players up there (with CDS in goal) and it could really have been special.

Goalies should be fine, nothing spectacular, but a steady Robinson and an improved Taylor should be good enough to push the 'Cats up a couple slots (hopefully more) in the RS standings, and should be a threat to advance to Boston. It would be great to see UNH in Boston, and BvR and his new teammates coming up short. Not that anyone cares, but BvR has dropped a notch in WIS' annual survey of our favorite vR brothers:

(1) TvR - 3 year player, left after a career threatening injury, has a ring, has exceeded all expectations
                              (2) JvR - 2 year player, not quite Jack Eichel-level impact at UNH, still no ring and no NHL All-Star calls

(3) BvR - 3 year player, left to chase glory with defending HE champs, no NHL reunions likely with bros

Side note: when looking through some of the forwards from the early part of this decade, I noticed that Stevie Moses - despite signing a big post-KHL contract with Nashville - has still yet to play a single game in the NHL. He's barely played the equivalent of a half-season at the AHL level, and the Preds cut ties with him virtually weeks after he'd signed with them. He's now back in the KHL, trying to recapture whatever form it was that escaped him 5 years ago now. Sadly, an all-too-typical post-UNH career.
                              JVR’s latest contract... 5 years, $35M. I can’t believe these GM’s don’t have your keen insight, Chuck!! 😁

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                                JVR’s latest contract... 5 years, $35M. I can’t believe these GM’s don’t have your keen insight, Chuck!! 😁
                                And, for a "third line plodder"?

Comment

Working...
                                X