Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Season?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
    Dan these guys look way to good to still be available! Hard to believe we aren't exploring them and making offers, as HR says, take them all! If I had to predict I still think it will be Will Margel. Was 18 in March, true freshmen, it has always been his dream to come as a true freshmen. He would probably benefit from a year in the west but is already a true goal scorer and will probably get drafted this June and get an offer from someone else willing to start him in September. He can handle D1 now lets not allow him to slip way. Think Jackson Pierson.
    I think a lot of dominoes will start to fall with - at least the first half of this list of - recruits as the junior seasons wrap up and they can take visits (or for some receive pro ovetures). The BCHL is basically down to their championship series and the USHL playoffs will begin shortly. UNH has been on the road recruiting, on the heels of a season they believe is a success and with their deepest roster in a long while returning, so I think its a reasonable expectation that they make aggressive pitches and show success on the trail. We will see...

If they do end up just accelerating a forward recruit, I'd prefer Margel over any other possibility. He is clearly the most talented option and while he hasn't played up to higher levels of junior hockey - he has simply dominated everywhere he has been. I'm not sure I'd expect it, but they did do it with Pierson (who exhibited similar dominance last season). If all they can manage is one additional high-end offensive commitment and accelerating Margel - I think that'd be a real win and something they could carry into future classes when they'll have even more to replace than they do this off-season...
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

[QUOTE=Dan;6792291]If all they can manage is one additional high-end offensive commitment and accelerating Margel - I think that'd be a real win and something they could carry into future classes when they'll have even more to replace than they do this off-season...[/QUOTE

Well, essentially, they add Engaras... Nice upgrade in any case; step ahead of any freshman, give a year in the "system".
      Shrink-The-Rink, Win a Title

Comment

I will be interested to see Souza's evolution in personnel decisions. If you recall, UNH1932 expressed Souza's belief, in 2015, that UNH needed bigger defensemen to handle the defensive aspects. That brought 6' + Corson Green, James Miller, Max Gildon and Benton Maass and Nolan McElhaney (albeit, with 5'9 Bahn and 5'10 Verrier and 5'11 McKinnon).
        In this year's playoffs he commented on (how could he not) the dynamic quickness of U.Mass's defense, which is based on U.Mass's desire for small skilled puck-moving defensemen. All of U.Mass' defensive recruits are 6' of under, and skilled. UNH has recruited 5'10 Nick Ardanaz and 5'10 Kalle Eriksson. Has Souza's philosophy changed?
        The Souza record:
        15-16 10th place
        16-17 10th place
        17-18 11th place
        18-19 8th place
        19-20 9th place
        20-21 10th place
        21-22 9th place
        22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
          I will be interested to see Souza's evolution in personnel decisions. If you recall, UNH1932 expressed Souza's belief, in 2015, that UNH needed bigger defensemen to handle the defensive aspects. That brought 6' + Corson Green, James Miller, Max Gildon and Benton Maass and Nolan McElhaney (albeit, with 5'9 Bahn and 5'10 Verrier and 5'11 McKinnon).
          In this year's playoffs he commented on (how could he not) the dynamic quickness of U.Mass's defense, which is based on U.Mass's desire for small skilled puck-moving defensemen. All of U.Mass' defensive recruits are 6' of under, and skilled. UNH has recruited 5'10 Nick Ardanaz and 5'10 Kalle Eriksson. Has Souza's philosophy changed?
          Agreed, this is an area of interest as MS7's coaching career develops. As far as new trends are concerned … if you see something you can exploit because of tendencies elsewhere in your competitive universe, it's best that you're at the front of that trend, before you just become another in a long line of imitators/followers. Obviously, Carvel's approach is drawing attention, in light of the overall success his program is now enjoying. Not being familiar with his past stop, I'd be interested in seeing if his approach at UMass is similar to what he'd been doing at SLU previously, OR if he's just developed this since he got to Amherst.

Then the question - did he go for this intentionally, or was it something that flowed from his ability to attract quicker yet smaller recruits - necessity as opposed to intent or design?

Back in his day, Walshy had some innovative (at the time) approaches - not all had to do with the infamous "retroactive financial aid" BTW - and he definitely reaped the rewards for forward thinking for the rest of his career. Hopefully MS7 has some closely held principles that will benefit his program in the coming years. We'll see ...
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            Agreed, this is an area of interest as MS7's coaching career develops. As far as new trends are concerned … if you see something you can exploit because of tendencies elsewhere in your competitive universe, it's best that you're at the front of that trend, before you just become another in a long line of imitators/followers. Obviously, Carvel's approach is drawing attention, in light of the overall success his program is now enjoying. Not being familiar with his past stop, I'd be interested in seeing if his approach at UMass is similar to what he'd been doing at SLU previously, OR if he's just developed this since he got to Amherst.

Then the question - did he go for this intentionally, or was it something that flowed from his ability to attract quicker yet smaller recruits - necessity as opposed to intent or design?

Back in his day, Walshy had some innovative (at the time) approaches - not all had to do with the infamous "retroactive financial aid" BTW - and he definitely reaped the rewards for forward thinking for the rest of his career. Hopefully MS7 has some closely held principles that will benefit his program in the coming years. We'll see ...
            I'm prob the last person who would/should comment on what MS7 is up to with his thinking, but, he has talked about building the team from the back (start with the goaltender) and of course that would include defensemen. He says he wants to play a fast, up tempo game so it would make sense that is what he is seeking. UMass is a cookie cutter team as far as height and weight go. But what makes them so darn good is they outhustle to the puck, make it hard to transition with their speediness, and, they skate, skate and skate some more. Then they kill you with that quickness around the goal or with a blast from the point (Makar style). Big or small keep your skates moving and get pucks to the net boys!
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Kohei Sato (6'1" and speedy) best UNH D-man on the ice in a couple games I saw this past year. :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                Kohei Sato (6'1" and speedy) best UNH D-man on the ice in a couple games I saw this past year. :-)
                Here here! Thought he did a great job hunting down the puck...gotta have speed coming into the zone. Hey Snively65 am at Pitman’s for a retirement gig will have to catch up the next time they do a jazz thing. Cool place!
                Last edited by HockeyRef; 04-06-2019, 07:15 PM.
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Snively65, I love ya man, but with all due respect, if Sato is supposed to be the answer for UNH back on the blue line, then we're not asking the right questions. Emergency option (7th defender) at best on a good team, and if he's getting regular ice time beyond that on defense, then you're likely a non-HE playoffs team … OR a team that's good enough to outscore a lot of opponents, but not when it matters.

There's thinking outside the box, and then there's wishful thinking. Sato as a regular D is the latter. JMHO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                    Snively65, I love ya man, but with all due respect, if Sato is supposed to be the answer for UNH back on the blue line, then we're not asking the right questions. Emergency option (7th defender) at best on a good team, and if he's getting regular ice time beyond that on defense, then you're likely a non-HE playoffs team … OR a team that's good enough to outscore a lot of opponents, but not when it matters.

There's thinking outside the box, and then there's wishful thinking. Sato as a regular D is the latter. JMHO.
                    Just sayin the kid can skate...😉
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Eric Knodel named to ECHL all star team.

Comment

I know what I saw from KS on the blue line, albeit that was when several regular UNH blue liners were on the shelf.

Meanwhile, final regular season stats for some UNH alums after 'canes beat Flyers 5-4 yesterday.

JvR, 68 games, 27G+21A=48pts, -10
                        Career, 675, 228+213=441, -44

TvR, 78, 3+11=14, -4
                        Career, 315, 14+47=61, +17

Pesce, 73, 7+22=29, +35 (really)
                        Career, 289, 16=68=84, +45

Foegele, 77, 10+5=15, -17
                        Last edited by Snively65; 04-07-2019, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                          Meanwhile, final regular season stats for some UNH alums after 'canes beat Flyers 5-4 yesterday.

JvR, 68 games, 27G+21A=48pts, -10
                          Career, 675, 228+213=441, -44

TvR, 78, 3+11=14, -4
                          Career, 315, 14+47=61, +17

Pesce, 73, 7+22=29, +35 (really)
                          Career, 289, 16=68=84, +45

Foegele, 77, 10+5=15, -17
                          Who was Pesce's defensive pairing for most of this season?

+35 is pretty incredible for a middle of the pack, borderline in-the-playoffs team.

Comment

Who was Pesce's defensive pairing for most of this season?

+35 is pretty incredible for a middle of the pack, borderline in-the-playoffs team.
                            Good question. Some sleuthing revealed that Pesce played his offside with Justin Faulk on right side of second D pair at even strength, and his regular right side with Jaccob Stavin on left side when short handed and late in games when protecting a lead.

Dougie Hamilton on right side wiith Stavin as first D pair at even strength. Funny, as I recall that the B's were not happy with Hamilton when protecting a lead.

TvR played with Calvin de Haan on third pair most of season.

Hamilton, 82 games, 18+21=39, +0
                            Stavin, 82, 8+23=31, +0
                            Faulk, 82, 11+24=35, +9
                            de Haan, 74, 1+13=14, +1
                            Last edited by Snively65; 04-08-2019, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              Funny, as I recall that the B's were not happy with Hamilton when protecting a lead.
                              B's aren't happy with ANY young players...they give up on them too early...

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                                B's aren't happy with ANY young players...they give up on them too early...
                                ANY? What about David Pastrnak?

Comment

Working...
                                X