Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Quinnipiac Bobcats 2018-19 - Let's shuffle off to Buffalo

Originally posted by QUFan View Post
    Mark, I think you are spot on all points. Also, if NCAA and ECAC review tape, I hope they review the entire game. The Refs own some responsibility for what that game turned into. Priske is responsible for his actions, but it was clear Yale came into the game, as the announcers stated, trying to be physical and chippy and get into QU’s heads, and in that, they succeeded. If a few more after whistle calls were made earlier in the game, perhaps the fiasco it turned into later doesn’t happen.

Hopefully both Chase and Luke only get a game. Not sure if NCAA operates this way, but perhaps their suspensions will be sequential and not coincide. Probably only wishful thinking on my part.

However, if they succeed in getting to Lake Placid down Fortunato, Priske and Shiplo for all or part of the QTRs, that would say a lot about their character and also give us a nice sneak peek into the future. Can’t wait for the 16th. Let’s Go Q!
    In my opinion it looked like Yale's plan coming into the game was to get into our guys heads and draw our defense into taking penalties. I honestly did not expect that kind of play from Yale it reminded me more of a Cornell game. I agree the Reffs own some of the responsibility but it also falls on the Yale coaching staff they saw what was happening and did not tone it down it just ramped up in the 3rd.

Without the seniors for the first game of the QTRs we will get a preview of our defensive core for next year. Do you think we will see O'Connor moved back to defense?

Comment

However, if they succeed in getting to Lake Placid down Fortunato, Priske and Shiplo for all or part of the QTRs, that would say a lot about their character and also give us a nice sneak peek into the future. Can’t wait for the 16th. Let’s Go Q!
      I think the team has enough confidence in Shorty to work through this. They just need to keep their heads in the game and play smart.
      Quinnipiac Bobcats
      2023 National Champions
      ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
      ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
      East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
      Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
      Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
      Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

I've watched the replay numerous times today (just short of obsessed by it ) and IMHO additional suspension beyond the automatic 1 game doesn't seem warranted. I just don't see it as an intentional dirty play. I know others will disagree and argue, but that's how I see it. The kid has never shown a dirty side in 4 years. It was a heat of the moment play with tempers raging on both sides.

At that point in the game, the refs were as much to blame as the players since they let so much go early on. Several of us commented that they would lose control if they didn't start raising their arms. That never really happened, as evidenced by the Shiplo/Walsh DQ's and the Cukste/Palecco misconducts later in the 3rd.
        Quinnipiac Bobcats
        2023 National Champions
        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
        Northeast Regional:

Comment

• Originally posted by Turk View Post
          In my opinion it looked like Yale's plan coming into the game was to get into our guys heads and draw our defense into taking penalties. I honestly did not expect that kind of play from Yale it reminded me more of a Cornell game. I agree the Reffs own some of the responsibility but it also falls on the Yale coaching staff they saw what was happening and did not tone it down it just ramped up in the 3rd.

Without the seniors for the first game of the QTRs we will get a preview of our defensive core for next year. Do you think we will see O'Connor moved back to defense?
          I was actually also thinking OC might get some D time, though I don’t recall him skating D since he’s been here. Probably see Winslow and Cassidy so probably put Joe back there. He does bring some size and “attitude”. Chrorney is the only other D I think, and has only played a couple games, none in a while, that I can remember. How smart does the Cam Boudreau accelerated move look now!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
            I've watched the replay numerous times today (just short of obsessed by it ) and IMHO additional suspension beyond the automatic 1 game doesn't seem warranted. I just don't see it as an intentional dirty play. I know others will disagree and argue, but that's how I see it. The kid has never shown a dirty side in 4 years. It was a heat of the moment play with tempers raging on both sides.

At that point in the game, the refs were as much to blame as the players since they let so much go early on. Several of us commented that they would lose control if they didn't start raising their arms. That never really happened, as evidenced by the Shiplo/Walsh DQ's and the Cukste/Palecco misconducts later in the 3rd.
            Unfortunately, the injury actually happened, heat of the moment all that stuff is a good excuse, but as Captain, he should have led by example rather than lose control. The stick shattering after being expelled was another example of his loss of control. I think the ECAC will suspend him for the first series. I agree that Priskie has been a hard hitting but clean player throughout his career, but that should have no bearing on the supplemental discipline, If any takes place. The usually argumentative Pecknold did not even open his mouth after the Priskie penalty, that should speak volumes. As for the refs, if you watch about ten seconds prior to the Priskie incident, they should have called Tufto for taking down Welsh, then maybe this whole thing never happens.
            YALE HOCKEY
            2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
              Unfortunately, the injury actually happened,
              I would put one caveat on your statement that being did Priskie cause the injury or did he do what others think happened which is he fell face first onto the ice causing the injury. Priskie deserves the one game suspension for the kick. if he actually caused the injury no mater how minor ( as Welsh was back on the ice that period it could not have been that bad and definitely not life threatening) he might deserve more. But I doubt you and I will ever agree on this and honestly what we think makes no difference anyway all that maters is what whoever reviews the incident at the ECAC thinks.
              Last edited by Turk; 03-03-2019, 08:20 PM.

Comment

I was actually also thinking OC might get some D time, though I don’t recall him skating D since he’s been here. Probably see Winslow and Cassidy so probably put Joe back there. He does bring some size and “attitude”. Chrorney is the only other D I think, and has only played a couple games, none in a while, that I can remember. How smart does the Cam Boudreau accelerated move look now!
                Bringing Boudreau up early almost seems psychic and a great move by the Coaching staff. I think it had more to do with us being a little light on defense next year and they wanted to get him some early experience. As fo OC I dont think he played D this year. Last year I'm not sure he only played a few games but he was recruited as a D man.

Comment

but as Captain, he should have led by example rather than lose control.
                  Ah... like Walsh showed with his fighting major/DQ?

I think the ECAC will suspend him for the first series.
                  I'd have no problem with that IF the injury was caused by the act, but it's not clear from the video that it was. Bottom line is we have no control over what the league will do, and being the inconsistent ECAC, anything's possible.

that should have no bearing on the supplemental discipline
                  I disagree. All factors should be considered instead of a knee-jerk reaction.

As for the refs, if you watch about ten seconds prior to the Priskie incident, they should have called Tufto for taking down Welsh, then maybe this whole thing never happens.
                  Exactly my point. If they had called some stuff in the first half of the game, maybe none of the majors happen.
                  Quinnipiac Bobcats
                  2023 National Champions
                  Northeast Regional:

Comment

• Originally posted by Turk View Post
                    I would put one caveat on your statement that being did Priskie cause the injury or did he do what others think happened which is he fell face first onto the ice causing the injury. Priskie deserves the one game suspension for the kick. if he actually caused the injury no mater how minor ( as Welch was back on the ice that period it could not have been that bad and definitely not life threatening) he might deserve more. But I doubt you and I will ever agree on this and honestly what we think makes no difference anyway all that maters is what whoever reviews the incident at the ECAC thinks.
                    LT you got what you asked for.....your comment a few nights ago, "Only thing left to do is try and ruin Quinnipiacs quest for the regular season cup"

Sweezy, Kemp & Walsh all play very aggressive, physical brand of hockey: late shots, high checks, losing hockey. Snively is a superb player and was not getting the puck where he could do much with it.

Comment

Originally posted by SnowDogFlyer View Post
                      LT you got what you asked for.....your comment a few nights ago, "Only thing left to do is try and ruin Quinnipiacs quest for the regular season cup"

Sweezy, Kemp & Walsh all play very aggressive, physical brand of hockey: late shots, high checks, losing hockey. Snively is a superb player and was not getting the puck where he could do much with it.
                      Thanks for reminding me about that. Totally forgot he posted that on the Yale thread the other day

Comment

I'm sorry but intentional doesn't really matter here. He kicked a guy. With a razor-sharp blade on his foot. That's not a hockey play. I'd be shocked if we see him in the quarterfinals.

If someone did that in the NHL, regardless of injury, it would be at least a 5-game suspension, and probably much longer.

It doesn't matter whether he's been a dirty player in his career. He was a dirty player in that moment. It also doesn't matter what the refs were or weren't doing. You have to control yourself. Priskie failed in that moment. He's better than that.

Comment

Ah... like Walsh showed with his fighting major/DQ?

I'd have no problem with that IF the injury was caused by the act, but it's not clear from the video that it was. Bottom line is we have no control over what the league will do, and being the inconsistent ECAC, anything's possible.

I disagree. All factors should be considered instead of a knee-jerk reaction.

Exactly my point. If they had called some stuff in the first half of the game, maybe none of the majors happen.
                          Mark, you get penalized for the act, not for your career. Skates are the most dangerous thing on the ice and should never be used in an agressive manner. I agree Walsh might be seeing more time due to his stupidity as well. Up until the Priskie incident, I think the game was chippy, playoff type of game, a few roughing penalties were called. The game gets crazy after the blood on the ice. As to my comment about the Cup, would you rather the other team not try and just let QU walk out the door with it? On to the next series, thanks for the banter.
                          YALE HOCKEY
                          2013 National Champions

Comment

As to my comment about the Cup, would you rather the other team not try and just let QU walk out the door with it? On to the next series, thanks for the banter.
                            I would appreciate a level of accuracy with the banter. This talk about how the kid was in an ambulance. How QU is somehow dirty. How QU is a bunch of 25 year olds (when Yale's average age is higher than QU and has just as many older players as QU).

I do not argue the severity of the act - the discipline handed down - the stupidity of some of the plays from both sides - I just don't like twisting facts to support a biased narrative.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by LTsatch View Post
                              As to my comment about the Cup, would you rather the other team not try and just let QU walk out the door with it? On to the next series, thanks for the banter.

Originally posted by toogees View Post
                              I would appreciate a level of accuracy with the banter. This talk about how the kid was in an ambulance. How QU is somehow dirty. How QU is a bunch of 25 year olds (when Yale's average age is higher than QU and has just as many older players as QU).

I do not argue the severity of the act - the discipline handed down - the stupidity of some of the plays from both sides - I just don't like twisting facts to support a biased narrative.
                              I totally agree

As you say it's a serious act and cant be condoned but I also think that the comment " To intentionally kick a player in the head/throat with the blade of his skate while the player is down is the most dangerous life threatening penalty" is over the top. I have no idea what Priskie's intentions were and neither does anyone else. I have also watched the replay several dozen times and I can see his skate go forward but I do not see him draw his foot back and pick his foot off the ice to use the blade to injure. I also see the skate at most hit the Yale players arm and probably his side not his head or neck though it is a scrum and I may have missed something.

I'm good with whatever the league decides but I hope they do more that review the tape from the ESPN feed (does yale have other cameras covering the ice?). I would hope they would speak to Priske the officials and the injured Yale player at the least.
                              Last edited by Turk; 03-04-2019, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Turk View Post
                                Quote Originally Posted by LTsatch View Post

I totally agree

As you say it's a serious act and cant be condoned but I also think that the comment " To intentionally kick a player in the head/throat with the blade of his skate while the player is down is the most dangerous life threatening penalty" is over the top. I have no idea what Priskie's intentions were and neither does anyone else. I have also watched the replay several dozen times and I can see his skate go forward but I do not see him draw his foot back and pick his foot off the ice to use the blade to injure. I also see the skate at most hit the Yale players arm and probably his side not his head or neck though it is a scrum and I may have missed something.

I'm good with whatever the league decides but I hope they do more that review the tape from the ESPN feed (does yale have other cameras covering the ice?). I would hope they would speak to Priske the officials and the injured Yale player at the least.
                                Yale only has cameras above the net for Refs only goal reviews as far as I know. Would like to see that view, but have never seen it released publicly in the past. As to the other point I apologised for the second hand info I mistakenly reported on the ambulance on this thread. Crickets from ECAC, lets see what happens.
                                YALE HOCKEY
                                2013 National Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X