X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Religion Thread: We Could Say a Prayer

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    If you could bring any facts...you might be able to venture beyond hyperbole.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
      Actually, since a quarter of Americans are non-religious, that simply shows each group was represented exactly as you'd expect. You aren't punching above your weight.
      Knew this was coming. The qualifier is a more religious subsegment as they 'belong to a religious organization'. That segment is at or potentially below 50%...with 75% of total representation making for the religious massively overindexing. Philanthropy Roundtable said as much. 'We know the religious are also far more likely to volunteer'.

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
      I was the youth representative on my church's finance committee. Out of our $1.5M budget, less than 2% went to our missions committee, which included all of the categories you mention above. Nearly 10% went for the building/facilities committee. More than half was for employee salaries (pastor, assistant, choir director, organist, receptionist, program director, etc). Show me a church that spends most of its budget on helping the community, and I'll show you a few guys who meet in a garage.
      Typical national charities provide major benefits for targeted distant calamities. They are fortunate to have economies of scale and can target large scale issues. But they can't handle the vast number and the diversity of support needed by local communities. Think of brick and mortar retailer (church) vs. mail order (other charities).

Local support to the community may not benefit you...but the broader community needs/uses it. Just as with brick and mortar stores, churches put a significant amount of its budget into sustaining themselves...actually about 50% into staffing and real estate. http://www.pnwumc.org/news/how-churc...d-their-money/ Beyond that churches target many local needs - for which people and locations are needed. But if your church providing 2% on programs is indicative of its support for the needs of its attendees, the local community as well as distant opportunities, it should close its doors.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
        Knew this was coming. The qualifier is a more religious subsegment as they 'belong to a religious organization'.
        You mean like a church or synagogue? No shiat.

Comment

Hovey, people like Rev. Jen don't get air time.

However, Tony Perkins and Family Research Council, Focus on the Family, etc... those Christians DO get air time. And being bi and trans, imagine having to listen to them saying LGBT people are pedophiles, criminals, and will rape your daughter in a public restroom.

And it's not just them. I've had friends (not friends anymore) tell me I'm sinning, I'm going against God, I can "control my tendencies," I'm confused... these people have stopped talking to me. In fact, my old pastor will not address the topic with me, probably because he knows he's wrong and that by talking with me, his pet bull**** will be blown to bits.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post

However, Tony Perkins and Family Research Council, Focus on the Family, etc... those Christians DO get air time. And being bi and trans, imagine having to listen to them saying LGBT people are pedophiles, criminals, and will rape your daughter in a public restroom.

And it's not just them. I've had friends (not friends anymore) tell me I'm sinning, I'm going against God, I can "control my tendencies," I'm confused... these people have stopped talking to me. In fact, my old pastor will not address the topic with me, probably because he knows he's wrong and that by talking with me, his pet bull**** will be blown to bits.
            Here comes 5mn to say, "This how the media DEMONIZES "real" Christians!"

Comment

Also... didn't Hammurabi's Code come before Christianity?
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                Here comes 5mn to say, "This how the media DEMONIZES "real" Christians!"
                95% of all and the major media outlets treat Christianity fairly.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                  Outrage gets press. Lifewater does not.

LIFEWATER Lifewater is a Christian clean water organization. For more than 40 years, we’ve been bringing clean water, improved health, and hope to vulnerable women and children living in extreme poverty.

115,309 CURRENTLY SERVED More than 100,000 people in Africa and Southeast Asia are involved in a Lifewater program. View Active Programs
                  15,442 HEALTHY HOMES Thousands of families have worked hard to learn healthy habits and transform their home for life. See Healthy Homes
                  290 WATER PROJECTS Since starting the Healthy Village program in 2016, you’ve helped build 200+ water sources. See Current Projects
                  92% SUSTAINABILITY 92% of Lifewater wells are still operational–56% more than the average in sub-Saharan Africa. Read the Report

https://lifewater.org/
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                    Nonsense. I was the youth representative on my church's finance committee. Out of our $1.5M budget, less than 2% went to our missions committee, which included all of the categories you mention above. Nearly 10% went for the building/facilities committee. More than half was for employee salaries (pastor, assistant, choir director, organist, receptionist, program director, etc). Show me a church that spends most of its budget on helping the community, and I'll show you a few guys who meet in a garage.
                    Must be Methodist
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

95% of all and the major media outlets treat Christianity fairly.
                      As I said, you don't want your precious religion to be perceived as bitter and hateful... raise your voice.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        Must be Methodist
                        I was thinking Anglican. Church of the Chamber of Commerce.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Must be Methodist
                          Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          I was thinking Anglican. Church of the Chamber of Commerce.
                          Mookie wins! And on the first guess, too.
                          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Amazing that people predict the Rapture when the Bible makes no specific mention of a rapture.

Comment

Must be Methodist
                              Did someone say " ... and Methodists!"
                              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Outrage gets press. Lifewater does not.
                                If it bleeds it leads.
                                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                                X