• Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

Ford vs. Ferrari was pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      That is good to hear. I will be patient and wait for it on Netflix, but I do look forward to this movie.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Honestly, I would recommend it for the big screen if you can swing it. Unless you've got a home theater setup to recreate the sound experience. The racing sequences are pretty incredible.

Comment

Honestly, I would recommend it for the big screen if you can swing it. Unless you've got a home theater setup to recreate the sound experience. The racing sequences are pretty incredible.
          I didn't think of that (racing sound/etc). And....gonna guess that this movie won't bring in blockbuster crowds (which means less annoying patrons)...might do that. Catch an early showing someplace on a day off.....
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I am seeing it tomorrow

I saw Midway...it wasnt Pearl Harbor but it wasnt exactly good either.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

contagion
              big names, but at the end just another virus story.

the runner
              zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

mib international
              good lord, stop already

the aftermath
              not bad. at least it was something different.
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Pretty good, yes. Not great. And while they had to compress and dramatize much of the story to fit into a long movie- some of it was just bad and misleading. Mostly the portrayal of Beebe. The way the Duce was shown was bad, too. But when Ford Motor Company should have wanted to support a movie about one of it's most iconic projects, there's a good reason they were not part of the movie. Not too cool.

OTOH, watching it in IMAX was pretty impressive. Just wished more of the real engine sounds were used- as they were glorious (and they did use them, some).

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                  Pretty good, yes. Not great. And while they had to compress and dramatize much of the story to fit into a long movie- some of it was just bad and misleading. Mostly the portrayal of Beebe. The way the Duce was shown was bad, too. But when Ford Motor Company should have wanted to support a movie about one of it's most iconic projects, there's a good reason they were not part of the movie. Not too cool.

OTOH, watching it in IMAX was pretty impressive. Just wished more of the real engine sounds were used- as they were glorious (and they did use them, some).
                  I guessed that they probably wouldn't paint a picture of Beebe or Ford in a kind light. I read the book on which the movie is based back when it came out (Go Like Hell). At the time, as I was reading the physical description of Beebe, the only person I could think of was Martin Ferrero from Jurassic Park (the lawyer). It wasn't a pretty picture.

I still want to see the movie, though, because I really liked the book.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post

I know nothing about Beebe, and the feud between him and Shelby/Miles seemed dramatized to me, but I thought the portrayal of Henry II wasn't that far off the mark. By all accounts, he was a stubborn and could be a ***** to work for. If anything, the comment about Bond being a "degenerate" seemed kind of pot-kettle, given his playboy reputation.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                      I guessed that they probably wouldn't paint a picture of Beebe or Ford in a kind light. I read the book on which the movie is based back when it came out (Go Like Hell). At the time, as I was reading the physical description of Beebe, the only person I could think of was Martin Ferrero from Jurassic Park (the lawyer). It wasn't a pretty picture.

I still want to see the movie, though, because I really liked the book.
                      Beebe wasn't a bad guy, and in a later interview, he was interested in the cars slowing down to not take each other out. He did a lot of good at Ford, and there wasn't a conflict between him and Miles. I liked the book, a lot, too. Nobody is perfect, but they were not that huge of jerks, either. A big one is that Beebe could have never done what he did in the movie, as it didn't happen that way.

Makes for a good story, but it is a little misleading. Or a lot, in the case of Beebe. When you see the movie, you will understand.
                      Last edited by alfablue; 11-18-2019, 06:11 PM.

Comment

I know nothing about Beebe, and the feud between him and Shelby/Miles seemed dramatized to me, but I thought the portrayal of Henry II wasn't that far off the mark. By all accounts, he was a stubborn and could be a ***** to work for. If anything, the comment about Bond being a "degenerate" seemed kind of pot-kettle, given his playboy reputation.
                        Shelby was more an opportunist than a visionary. And sometimes a not a good person. So the same amount that he looked like a hero, the Duce looked like a greedy, authoritarian, bastard. The Duce was not a nice person, no question.

As for Beebe- he worked for Iaccoca, not the other way around.

Anyway, if one can overlook that the big corporate overlords were not bad people- which is what the movie suggests, it's a good movie. And fun.

Comment

Everyone loves the movie Miracle even though they made it seem like Lou Nanne was against the idea of Herb Brooks' system. (which of course makes zero sense) Movies take dramatic license it is nothing new.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Miracle is great.

Mystery, Alaska sucks.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Miracle is great.

Mystery, Alaska sucks.
                              You only say that because you didn't grow up playing on the pond or with a pick-up group of adults. A lot of their interactions hold very true.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                                You only say that because you didn't grow up playing on the pond or with a pick-up group of adults. A lot of their interactions hold very true.
                                I actually did play pond hockey, although it was with kids. NY freezes too. Or anyway it used to.

The hockey parts of Mystery aren't what suck. It's that it's a lame Lifetime Precious Moments movie masquerading as a hockey movie.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X