Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2019-2020 Season Thread

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    Yeah and no band for the banner raising. What a bunch of losers the band is. What else was going on Friday night?
    As I was riding my bike through Camp Randall at 6 PM or so on my way to LaBahn, members of the band were riding back from their Friday afternoon practice before Saturday football game. For an 11AM kickoff, their Saturday starts with a 6 AM ( I think it is) final run-through, home for breakfast and into uniform, to Union South for a 10 AM pre-game performance (some earlier at various tailgates, etc.) then the game, then 5th Quarter, then march to Bascom/Humanities, finally done around 4 PM or so.
    Last edited by robertearle; 10-06-2019, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
      As I was riding my bike through Camp Randall at 6 PM or so on my way to LaBahn, members of the band were riding back from their Friday afternoon practice before Saturday football game. For an 11AM kickoff, their Saturday starts with a 6 AM ( I think it is) final run-through, home for breakfast and into uniform, to Union South for a 10 AM pre-game performance (some earlier at various tailgates, etc.) then the game, then 5th Quarter, then march to Bascom/Humanities, finally done around 4 PM or so.
      So they had nothing going on then after practice.

Interestingly Kronish suited up as the 3rd goalie and not Blesi on Saturday. I like she's 6-0, so many of the women's are on the small side (5-8 ish) and being a little taller and hopefully just as quick is a plus.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

So they had nothing going on then after practice.
        Other than eating dinner, maybe studying some, and getting some sleep before being up at 5 AM or so, no.

Comment

Are the students in the band the ones making the decision not to play? At UM games, most of the band shows up even when it is a marathon weekend with football and other sports. I don't think that they are much different than players; after putting in all the hours to practice, playing for games is fun. I'm sure if you asked the band members, they'd say that they enjoy playing at LaBahn and would like to do so more often.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Other than eating dinner, maybe studying some, and getting some sleep before being up at 5 AM or so, no.
            Study and sleep on a Friday night? LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              Are the students in the band the ones making the decision not to play? At UM games, most of the band shows up even when it is a marathon weekend with football and other sports. I don't think that they are much different than players; after putting in all the hours to practice, playing for games is fun. I'm sure if you asked the band members, they'd say that they enjoy playing at LaBahn and would like to do so more often.
              I just made the shift over to "if they don't want to be there, then I don't want them there anyway". I just need to enjoy what I can control and stop trying to control what I can't.

BIG series this weekend. OSU is scoring a lot, so is UW.

Comment

Not a fan of the crest jersies, and not the tan ones as all. But that's just silly old me.
                I didn't like those either. I thought they looked cool when the first photos were posted, but seeing them in person, they looked really disjointed an dim. The university crest just didn't seem to fit, so it looked like someone took a (very) old school jersey and glued a printout of that UW crest on the front. They looked weird. Not like the clown outfits the men's team wore last year, but still weird.

I often like super-old style alternates (whether or not it's based on a real previous design) as long as collars are avoided, and I think cream/tan/whatever can work, but it looked dull (maybe because everything else was bright white and red).

Comment

Tim said : Not a fan of the crest jersies, and not the tan ones as all. But that's just silly old me.

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                  I didn't like those either. ... seeing them in person, they looked really disjointed an dim. .
                  So, when you guys come across one at a yard sale ten years from now, you'll pick it up and then pass it along to me? :-)

Comment

Tim said : Not a fan of the crest jersies, and not the tan ones as all. But that's just silly old me.

So, when you guys come across one at a yard sale ten years from now, you'll pick it up and then pass it along to me? :-)
                    No problem. I'll be on the lookout.

I just watched a replay of the Friday game, man did Watts fumble away about 6 prime chances. Coulda had a 10 pt night. But the PPG was a beauty, a shot off the pass from the goal line, something that UW players typically don't do much of. Roque also scored on a shot off the pass as well. I hope this is a trend.

Comment

Another tidbit from the broadcast was Watts was also considering a yucky school to the west of WI.

It will be interesting to see how the lines are tweaked to improve the output of the 2nd and 3rd lines. It may be a good idea to move SS to the 2nd line to give them a creator on that line. Splitting Watts and Roque up would be bonkers.

Interesting that one of the PP's had 4 forwards. Obviously they believe a lot in Curl and want her to touch the puck more with top end talent.

And yes, it's a great day for hockey!

Comment

Another tidbit from the broadcast was Watts was also considering a yucky school to the west of WI.
                        Didn't know she was considering Lindenwood...
                        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Interesting that one of the PP's had 4 forwards. Obviously they believe a lot in Curl and want her to touch the puck more with top end talent.
                          Four forwards on a PP is nothing new for Mark Johnson. He's does that fairly regularly over the years. I can remember both Knight and Duggan at times being the sort-of 'second defense' during a PP. It is aggressive, and maybe not something we'd see against better opponents.

The two guys sitting next to me on Friday were commenting to one another how the PP was looking disjointed and ineffective; I pointed out to them that it was four forwards, and they said maybe that was putting a forward (or two) out of their normal position and having them thinking 'defense' when they should be thinking offense.

Steffen was the lone defender, which makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                            Didn't know she was considering Lindenwood...
                            Right! Kind of odd to consider UW and Lindenwood....

Comment

Right! Kind of odd to consider UW ....
                              True dat.
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

2 quality wins. Game one a tight nail biter until the end, the kind of game that could have ended up in a loss with a bad bounce, though UW's special teams were better, they outshot and out-faceoffed them. Game 2 was another tight one after 2, but awesome to see them lay the wood on OSU in the 3rd period and run away with it. I won't fret about giving up 3 goals until/if I see video on what happened, 1.5 gaa over the weekend against a top 10 team on the road is nothing to get all worked up over. Fantastic weekend for the ladies.

Comment

Working...
                                X