No announcement yet.

2020 Regional sites - any predictions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2020 Regional sites - any predictions?

I thought they did away with teams hosting in their own rink? What would make Wisconsin/Kohl Center different?

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      That they lost is the lead indicator that they care more about neutrality than revenue.

Which is a shame, since the selection committee doesn’t feel the same way.
      Maybe. BUt I think you would need to see the bid matrix to get a total package value. If the value Madison was offering was garbage, yeah they probably wouldn't be picked. If Loveland offered 100% of gate and 90% of concessions, kinda hard to beat that.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
        By my count, the distance between the "Midwest" Regional and the West Regional is 1,708 miles.

That also means there are only FIVE west schools within 500 miles of a regional site:

Allentown - 164 to Penn State, 448 to Ohio State (next closest 510 to BGSU)
        Loveland - 40 to Denver, 120 to Colorado College & Air Force Academy (next closest 530 to Omaha)

Another big F U to the west. What a joke.
        OK then who bid and got denied? You're only accounting for one of the years. The year after has both Loveland and Fargo. So that's a big change.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          I thought they did away with teams hosting in their own rink? What would make Wisconsin/Kohl Center different?
          Nothing, as it turns out, since they rejected the bid.

But, what would make it different is the fact that a Madison regional is highly likely to have waaaaaaaay more people show up.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Nothing. Notre Dame hosted at their own rink not terribly long ago. It's an arbitrary rule that can be arbitrarily enforced.
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Nothing, as it turns out, since they rejected the bid.

But, what would make it different is the fact that a Madison regional is highly likely to have waaaaaaaay more people show up.
              I guess what I was asking is I didn't even know they were taking bids from on campus facilities like the Kohl Center. If Wisconsin/KC submitted a bid that makes it seem like you can still in fact host a regional on campus.

Comment

OK then who bid and got denied? You're only accounting for one of the years. The year after has both Loveland and Fargo. So that's a big change.
                2021 ups it to ELEVEN schools within 500 miles.

Same 3 in Loveland
                Fargo - 80 miles to NoDak, 129 to Bemidji, 172 to St. Cloud, 235 to Minneapolis, 239 to Duluth, 274 to Mankato, 424 to Omaha, 455 to Michigan Tech (next closest is 503 to Madison)

Two of those are still at least a 7 hour drive. Yeah, that's soooo much better.

Comment

And in 2020, there is ONE eastern school that isn't within 500 miles of THREE regional sites:

Orono to Allentown is 546 miles, so Maine is the only one.

If attendance is bad, the blame is squarely on the east. Period.

Comment

Same 3 in Loveland
                    Fargo - 80 miles to NoDak, 129 to Bemidji, 172 to St. Cloud, 235 to Minneapolis, 239 to Duluth, 274 to Mankato, 424 to Omaha, 455 to Michigan Tech (next closest is 503 to Madison)

Isn't that sort of the point? The schools in the West are too far apart for many of them to be within "driving distance" (depending upon what your definition of that is), so the assumption is made that fans of those schools will have to fly anyway. If that's the case, they are going to put the event in a larger metropolitan area to ensure a large attendance. The East is more congested. I'm sure you people out there brag about how you have so much "open space" and "quality of life." Well, you can't have it both ways.

Comment

And in 2020, there is ONE eastern school that isn't within 500 miles of THREE regional sites:

Orono to Allentown is 546 miles, so Maine is the only one.

If attendance is bad, the blame is squarely on the east. Period.
                      Attendance in the east hasn't been a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                        Attendance in the east hasn't been a problem.
                        I am curious how Allentown would do if it was the host for the East regional. They’ve done well as it is.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

I am curious how Allentown would do if it was the host for the East regional. They’ve done well as it is.
                          I don't think the NCAA is interested in biting the hand that feeds them.
                          Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            I don't think the NCAA is interested in biting the hand that feeds them.
                            I don’t expect that they would. There’s really no reason for them to change up much of what they’ve done for the East/NE regionals.

I’m still curious, though.

Comment

Same 3 in Loveland

You guys can't have it both ways. There will be two western regionals in 2021 rather than three in the Eastern time zone. You might not like it but without dissecting which true midwest bids got denied, it is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                                Isn't that sort of the point? The schools in the West are too far apart for many of them to be within "driving distance" (depending upon what your definition of that is), so the assumption is made that fans of those schools will have to fly anyway. If that's the case, they are going to put the event in a larger metropolitan area to ensure a large attendance. The East is more congested. I'm sure you people out there brag about how you have so much "open space" and "quality of life." Well, you can't have it both ways.
                                The problem is most of us "out here" don't consider the west or midwest to be located 80 miles from the Atlantic Ocean.
                                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Working...
                                X