Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hoover View Post
    Thanks for the kind words!

I agree with you - I'd love to see Maine back in a FF and would go to almost any lengths to make sure I could be there. I grew up in Southern New Brunswick and followed the Black Bears (usually on WLBZ Channel 2) from a young age. Even though I'm near Toronto now, I still follow Maine very closely, usually going to Orono or a road weekend series each year. I was in Boston in 2015 to see Providence win, so I guess this year I'll be rooting for UMass to give Hockey East another National Champion.

As long as the games are good, I leave the arena entertained, and I enjoy the company of old and new friends I'll consider the weekend in Buffalo worth attending.
    Im not holding out for Maine to get there anytime soon. Im in northern Maine but still going to Buff without any horse in the race. Less stress that way! Looking forward to the hockey and experience.

Buffalo is actually a good place as far as Im concerned for the frozen 4. Have spent lots of time there. Oh its not a destination city or anything but still has some good blue collar features. Planning on good hockey and adjusting the other expectations to match the availabilities.

Comment

Re: 2019 Frozen Four: NCHC vs. Hockey East

I see people writing off the Friars. All their games with UMass were tight and you could argue that Providence outplayed UMass outside of a couple of bad mistakes in the first two losses. They also had a good series with Denver at Denver where they lost one and tied. I think this is a pretty evenly matched frozen four

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
        Im not holding out for Maine to get there anytime soon. Im in northern Maine but still going to Buff without any horse in the race. Less stress that way! Looking forward to the hockey and experience.

Buffalo is actually a good place as far as Im concerned for the frozen 4. Have spent lots of time there. Oh its not a destination city or anything but still has some good blue collar features. Planning on good hockey and adjusting the other expectations to match the availabilities.
        Enjoy Buffalo!

One thing I've learned in my trips to the Frozen Four is that there are always lots of Maine fans/supporters/alumni visible in the stands. Maine is well represented even if the Black Bears aren't there.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoover View Post
          Thanks for the kind words!

I agree with you - I'd love to see Maine back in a FF and would go to almost any lengths to make sure I could be there. I grew up in Southern New Brunswick and followed the Black Bears (usually on WLBZ Channel 2) from a young age. Even though I'm near Toronto now, I still follow Maine very closely, usually going to Orono or a road weekend series each year. I was in Boston in 2015 to see Providence win, so I guess this year I'll be rooting for UMass to give Hockey East another National Champion.

As long as the games are good, I leave the arena entertained, and I enjoy the company of old and new friends I'll consider the weekend in Buffalo worth attending.
          You may be happy to hear that next season, according to plan last I heard, Lynden Breen(St. John) will play for Maine. He will join fellow Eastern Canadian Adam Dawe(Newfoundland) whom was a freshman this season. Also in the pipeline for the future are Eastern Canadians Tim Gould(Moncton), Dallas Farrell(PEI) and Brad Morrissey(PEI).

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
            I do worry about it. Buffalo is so small it’s pretty much a 7+ hour flight from Denver with layovers and that’s a good case scenario. Booking last minute gets you stuck more in the 10-15 hour range with many layovers. I want to support my team but devoting 4 days, Thursday-Sunday is quite a lot to ask. And if Dogs bow out on Thursday it’s not like I’ll just easily hop on a flight back home friday... so torn but it’s not looking ideal. Never missed a UMD frozen four in my life this will likely be the first. But if they go to the championship i might have to
            I'm running into the same situation. $700 for a flight from Minneapolis to Buffalo. Contemplating driving but it's about 16 hours one way. It's an unfortunate reality at this point.
            "In heaven there is no beer. NO BEER! That's why we drink it here. RIGHT HERE!"

Comment

Originally posted by Bruin View Post
              Yes, because winning in2015 in Boston, against Boston University, was a breeze due to the presence of 16,000 Friar fans in the arena.
              Well you may think that sarcastic remark is funny, but the reality is there WERE 15,500 Friar fans. Everyone who was not a BU fan was cheering for Providence. I can absolutely vouch for that, because I was there. People think "Oh, it's in BOSTON so BU must have a huge advantage." Wrong. BU had a very small percentage of the fans at that game.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                You may be happy to hear that next season, according to plan last I heard, Lynden Breen(St. John) will play for Maine. He will join fellow Eastern Canadian Adam Dawe(Newfoundland) whom was a freshman this season. Also in the pipeline for the future are Eastern Canadians Tim Gould(Moncton), Dallas Farrell(PEI) and Brad Morrissey(PEI).
                I'm always glad to see kids from back home getting a look. I hope someday another Scott Pellerin-type player will come from the Maritimes and suit up for the Black Bears!

Comment

Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine View Post
                  I'm glad it's not November any more, because championchips are not won in November!
                  Poles mean nothing because the new concessions at The Dumby Barn will make St, Clooud perpetually champions.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                  -Blackadder
                  "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                  -Casablanca
                  "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                  -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                    Well you may think that sarcastic remark is funny, but the reality is there WERE 15,500 Friar fans. Everyone who was not a BU fan was cheering for Providence. I can absolutely vouch for that, because I was there. People think "Oh, it's in BOSTON so BU must have a huge advantage." Wrong. BU had a very small percentage of the fans at that game.
                    I was there too. There were not 15,500 Friars fans. I wish there were, but there were not - and never will be. There were more PC fans than expected, and friends from North Dakota certainly were vocal and helpful, but to say that PC had more fans than BU, in opinion, is just ridiculous.

My comment was prompted by a ridiculous notion that PC has to prove something because they won the NC in Boston. Duluth won their only two championships in Saint Paul, yet they are "the next greatest thing in college hockey"... give a hockey team from a school with 3,800 students and the arena that is closer to a hockey barn than a good NCAA hockey arena some credit. They deserved it on the ice.

Comment

I was there too. There were not 15,500 Friars fans. I wish there were, but there were not - and never will be. There were more PC fans than expected, and friends from North Dakota certainly were vocal and helpful, but to say that PC had more fans than BU, in opinion, is just ridiculous.

My comment was prompted by a ridiculous notion that PC has to prove something because they won the NC in Boston. Duluth won their only two championships in Saint Paul, yet they are "the next greatest thing in college hockey"... give a hockey team from a school with 3,800 students and the arena that is closer to a hockey barn than a good NCAA hockey arena some credit. They deserved it on the ice.
                      Yes, I understood why you made the comment. And my comment was a knock on the BU "fanbase" which has dwindled to almost nothing. When I said "Friar fans" I meant that ALL of the "neutral" (ok 99%) fans were rooting for Providence (or if you want to look at is as "against BU" that's fine too).

Comment

but to say that PC had more fans than BU, in opinion, is just ridiculous.
                        I think we can all agree the building was 75% pro-PC. Not sure what you consider a "fan" for the sake of whether they are true PC fans that were there or other "fans" just rooting for PC.
                        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Yes, because winning in2015 in Boston, against Boston University, was a breeze due to the presence of 16,000 Friar fans in the arena.

In case they win it (unlikely but possible), what will they have to prove next? That they can win it all in the West?
                          I was there. 80% of the fans were rooting for PC. Perhaps, like BC fans, they were rooting against BU but they were in PC’s corner.
                          Originally posted by mookie1995
                          bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                          Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                          Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by dogs2012 View Post
                            I'm running into the same situation. $700 for a flight from Minneapolis to Buffalo. Contemplating driving but it's about 16 hours one way. It's an unfortunate reality at this point.
                            Consider flying into Rochester. It's not too far from Buffalo(Maybe 80 miles). Or Cleveland although further may be less costly.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                              I think we can all agree the building was 75% pro-PC. Not sure what you consider a "fan" for the sake of whether they are true PC fans that were there or other "fans" just rooting for PC.
                              That was my impression. They kept showing UND fans clapping when PC scored.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                              -Blackadder
                              "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                              -Casablanca
                              "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                                Poles mean nothing...
                                Do you know what kind of can of worms you could open with this statement I wish the link still existed to that thread....it was one of the best threads on this forum, ever.

Comment

Working...
                                X