X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    Good for Pearson and Keeper not so good for Maine Hockey.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Certainly 2 of the best players on the team, and I wish them well. Still...

I don't see NHL talent there in either of them -Red has never put a guy into The Show- so why not bail now and have a shot at maximizing your possible development? This iteration of the Maine program is looking like a dead-end for even somewhat promising players.

(And even if they hung-around, does anyone really think Maine would be a tournament team as a result? I surely don't.)
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-18-2019, 07:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
      The way people here talk about Maine, you'd think they were a sub-10 win team playing a weak schedule, instead of a .500 team playing a top third schedule in terms of difficulty.

The losses sustained today and possibly going forward are a huge blow, though, and none of the incoming freshmen really impress me like Schmitty, Dawe, or Tralmaks did when I monitored them prior to their Orono arrival. A step back is most likely in the cards, and while I will still maintain the prior season was not awful, a step back is not at all what they need.
      Agreed. Maine is a school that is going to need good players to stick around and be committed to a run. They need to be more of a Gonzaga rather than a Duke, if that makes sense.

I felt the same way today as I did when Shore and Hutton left after their junior season. If they stuck around, I was excited about what the 2015-2016 season could be. But they left and that opened the door for Pearson and Fossier to get a lot of play as freshmen.

But, you’re right. I’m less optimistic now and this will just lead to more fans wanting the coach’s head whether that’s the right or wrong answer.

My only hope now is that Tralmaks continues to develop his game, Fossier sticks around and Doherty steps up. Other than that, the only way they’re getting anywhere is on Swayman’s back.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
        The way people here talk about Maine, you'd think they were a sub-10 win team playing a weak schedule, instead of a .500 team playing a top third schedule in terms of difficulty.
        KRACH schedule strength over six years is 34. That's bottom half.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
          KRACH schedule strength over six years is 34. That's bottom half.
          RPI for this season pegs them at #19. That's the third hardest in Hockey East.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
            RPI for this season pegs them at #19. That's the third hardest in Hockey East.
            Well, even if that's accurate, we're talking National relevance here, aren't we?

No offense to those of you who embrace blind faith, but Maine has truly been a complete also-ran since Day One of the Red Era. There's no logical argument to be made to the contrary.

Comment

Does anyone else find it curious that 3 of the Top 4 and 4 of the Top 10 teams in the country are non D1 schools? While I understand that that non D1 institutions have always been members of D1 college hockey.....I've noticed that this trend has picked up over the past few seasons. Is it a coincidence? Are programs like Maine, UNH, Vermont, etc at a disadvantage due to spreading resources too thin while these other schools can go "all in" on their only D1 sports program? Something to consider.......

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                Does anyone else find it curious that 3 of the Top 4 and 4 of the Top 10 teams in the country are non D1 schools? While I understand that that non D1 institutions have always been members of D1 college hockey.....I've noticed that this trend has picked up over the past few seasons. Is it a coincidence? Are programs like Maine, UNH, Vermont, etc at a disadvantage due to spreading resources too thin while these other schools can go "all in" on their only D1 sports program? Something to consider.......
                Has it picked up? Number of play-ups per Frozen Fours by year, starting in 1984 (aka beginning with Walsh's first year):

2018: 1 (Duluth) CHAMPION
                2017: 1 (Duluth)
                2016: 0
                2015: 0
                2014: 1 (Union) CHAMPION
                2013: 1.5 (St. Cloud; Lowell transitioning)
                2012: 2 (Union, Ferris)
                2011: 1 (Duluth) CHAMPION
                2010: 1 (RIT)
                2009: 1 (Bemidji)
                2008: 0.5 (North Dakota transitioning)
                2007: 1 (North Dakota)
                2006: 1 (North Dakota)
                2005: 2 (North Dakota, Colorado College)
                2004: 1 (Duluth)
                2003: 0
                2002: 0
                2001: 1 (North Dakota)
                2000: 2 (North Dakota, St. Lawrence) CHAMPION
                1999: 0
                1998: 0
                1997: 2 (North Dakota, Colorado College) CHAMPION
                1996: 1 (Colorado College)
                1995: 0
                1994: 1 (Lake Superior) CHAMPION
                1993: 1 (Lake Superior)
                1992: 1 (Lake Superior) CHAMPION
                1991: 2 (Northern Michigan, Clarkson) CHAMPION
                1990: 0
                1989: 0
                1988: 2 (Lake Superior, St. Lawrence) CHAMPION
                1987: 1 (North Dakota)
                1986: 1 (Denver)
                1985: 2 (RPI, Duluth) CHAMPION
                1984: 2 (Duluth, North Dakota)

That is 34 teams (including half credits) in 34 years. Exactly 1 per year, or 25% of the field. Considering that 21 of 60 (or 35%) of NCAA schools are playing up, that seems reasonable. In the past 10 years the average is slightly under 1, which probably has more to do with North Dakota and Denver moving to D-1 than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                  This is one of the reasons BU dropped football. Hockey is their "primary" sport in the sense it is what they are best known for and their biggest revenue generator. The feeling was, as a I-AA school (now known as FCS), the revenue was not there (TV, etc). The only realistic way for them to continue was either drop to Division 3 or go big-time. My understanding is that John Silber (former President) was not exactly enamored with football. I'm sure there were academic reasons as well (same reason they joined the Patriot League), as they were/are trying to "enhance" their academic reputation as they transition more to a research-oriented and "international" university. It was likely the "drain" of expenses pertaining to football was affecting the entire athletic department.

We have seen this much more frequently than in the past. Schools are in multiple leagues (and even multiple levels) depending upon the sport. Look at BC: ACC but Hockey East. UConn: AAC but Hockey East. Even Maine: America East but Hockey East. Frequently a school will join a "dedicated" league when they want to emphasize one sport that isn't inclusive of others.

So to answer your question, I don't find it curious at all because we live in a boutique society now where everything is specialized.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                    This is one of the reasons BU dropped football. Hockey is their "primary" sport in the sense it is what they are best known for and their biggest revenue generator. The feeling was, as a I-AA school (now known as FCS), the revenue was not there (TV, etc). The only realistic way for them to continue was either drop to Division 3 or go big-time. My understanding is that John Silber (former President) was not exactly enamored with football. I'm sure there were academic reasons as well (same reason they joined the Patriot League), as they were/are trying to "enhance" their academic reputation as they transition more to a research-oriented and "international" university. It was likely the "drain" of expenses pertaining to football was affecting the entire athletic department.
                    And yes, despite having refuted the "More sub-DI's are winning" point, I do agree that Maine needs to funnel more funds to hockey if they want to win. I don't love football, but it's successful at least. Spending half a fortune for the baseball team to go 1-14 barnstorming across the South is madness, to me.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                      Spending half a fortune for the baseball team to go 1-14 barnstorming across the South is madness, to me.
                      I'm guessing that's most likely a holdover from the John Winkin glory days...

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                        I'm guessing that's most likely a holdover from the John Winkin glory days...
                        Correct, but it isn't 1985.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
                          Agreed. Time moves on whether we like it or not. The weather is so bad in Maine in the spring it just doesn’t make much sense.
                          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

It's not??? No wonder my sideburns seem out of style...

Comment

..........Spending half a fortune for the baseball team to go 1-14 barnstorming across the South is madness, to me.
                              Totally agree. Program generates little if any money. Vermont and BU were wise to drop it many years ago.

Comment

And yes, despite having refuted the "More sub-DI's are winning" point, I do agree that Maine needs to funnel more funds to hockey if they want to win. I don't love football, but it's successful at least. Spending half a fortune for the baseball team to go 1-14 barnstorming across the South is madness, to me.
                                I think that money was set aside back in the 80's when (Mahaney?) made a huge donation with the stipulation that the baseball team makes the trip South every year. I have no idea for how long that is supposed to last, but it can't be cheap to send the baseball team on the road for a month. However, compared to the gaping black hole that is football, it's all small potatoes. Maine will never drop football, will never (can never) trim the budget for football, so the program will continue to Hoover all the funds in the department. The difference is the money generated by hockey (thanks Uncle Harold) used to be more than enough to offset the money lost in football. Not only has that revenue decreased, there is now not a single sport on campus that consistently makes any money at all. This isn't new. We've known this for years and we've discussed it ad nauseam every summer for ages. We can talk all we want. Until the university determines a change has to be made (which is highly unlikely) then it's all a lot of hot air and wasted keystrokes.

Comment

Working...
                                X