Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

I have kept track of this since the great realignment. We have increased our BCHL & NAHL count, but at the price of fewer USHL players. Not a good sign. It’s true that back in the day (eg 2007-08) we had almost zero USHL players, but we were doing much better until the last few years. Maybe that was a “strategic” move on our part.

Comment

I'm attempting to watch the Nanook / Huskies game tonight. This is the worst feed I have ever watched. Come on Fairbanks, is this the best you can do? Edit: the second period was much better. Looks like they found … and fixed the problem.
      Last edited by Suze; 10-12-2018, 11:40 PM.
      Originally Posted by aparch
      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Important game last night. It wasn’t about winning (although that’s every team’s goal and would have been nice), but more about being competitive against a quality team. SCSU controlled play for the most part, but we had our chances. They outshot us but except for pp opportunities, we limited their quality scoring chances. We hung around. Which is pretty good for this team against this completion.

Hope we are victorious tonight, but if not, at least competitive again. This year will definitely be a journey. Interesting to see that Arizona lost to #1 Ohio State 2-3. Takes a little of the sting out of last weekend’s series in the desert.

Too bad attendance was so poor. I know there were a number of big things going on around town but too bad nonetheless. I hear the Ice Dogs 50/50 was over $40k.

Hanging around.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
          Important game last night. It wasn’t about winning (although that’s every team’s goal and would have been nice), but more about being competitive against a quality team. SCSU controlled play for the most part, but we had our chances. They outshot us but except for pp opportunities, we limited their quality scoring chances. We hung around. Which is pretty good for this team against this completion.

Hope we are victorious tonight, but if not, at least competitive again. This year will definitely be a journey. Interesting to see that Arizona lost to #1 Ohio State 2-3. Takes a little of the sting out of last weekend’s series in the desert.

Too bad attendance was so poor. I know there were a number of big things going on around town but too bad nonetheless. I hear the Ice Dogs 50/50 was over $40k.

Hanging around.
          Cool photo. As an ASU alum, it was very encouraging to see your result against SCS. Hope you get them tonight!

Comment

Important game last night. It wasn’t about winning
            Well spill the beans on that one.

. 40k.....thats almost a dub a drunk on a sell out......i thinks ........overrated reporting.......
            Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
            UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Having Ice Dogs in town along with the HIPOW auction, it definitely contributed to the low attendance. Hoping for a better crowd since the 50/50 from the Ice Dogs was won last night! Haha

Comment

Grigals getting the start tonight.
                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Man. I really hope I’m proven wrong in thinking that it’s gonna be a long season. The WCHA isn’t fairing well in non-conference games so hopefully the Nooks can get things rolling once conference play starts.

Need to find a better way to generate offensive chances, get better on the power play and continue to block shots. They looked great when sacrificing the body and blocking shots, great defensive effort there but it didn’t continue throughout the night.

Comment

Call a spade a spade...we don’t have the depth to go against a team like SCSU for 60 minutes. It wasn’t for a lack of effort...the guys didn’t quit and I thought they played pretty well, all things considered. But even Bruce and Erik, who are pretty big homers, commented on the broadcast that nobody knows where offense is going to come from after our first line. This is really the after effect of Strategic Pathways, which destroyed our recruiting and still has some lingering effects.

Also doesn’t help that Van Tetering and Staley are both out.

But on the bright side, we might be looking at the Year of Marino. Once we get into the WCHA, if the compete level is what it is this weekend we will win some games.
                    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Don’t push any panic button yet.
                      ASU was big, fairly fast, had good goaltending, and we weren’t prepared. They held their own against #1 Ohio State this past weekend.
                      We were prepared for SCSU but again, they are fast, skilled and play a tough team defense. They are a top 5 team for a reason.
                      Things aren’t going to get much easier with Denver and MSU in the next two weeks.
                      Being winless in October is no big surprise (was hoping for points at ASU). But after ASU I’m just thankful that we won't be scoreless in October.

I think we will struggle with MSU and BG, but be competitive with everyone else. But if we don’t get something going with our pp, we may end up losing more than our fair share of “competitive” games.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Don’t push any panic button yet.
                        ASU was big, fairly fast, had good goaltending, and we weren’t prepared. They held their own against #1 Ohio State this past weekend.
                        We were prepared for SCSU but again, they are fast, skilled and play a tough team defense. They are a top 5 team for a reason.
                        Things aren’t going to get much easier with Denver and MSU in the next two weeks.
                        Being winless in October is no big surprise (was hoping for points at ASU). But after ASU I’m just thankful that we won't be scoreless in October.

I think we will struggle with MSU and BG, but be competitive with everyone else. But if we don’t get something going with our pp, we may end up losing more than our fair share of “competitive” games.

Go Nooks!
                        I watched both games on flohockey. The Nanooks did an amazing job of sacrificing the body to block shots, but that can be dangerous. Did one of your players get injured on Friday night? I thought the Nanooks played two strong games, but the skill level of SCSU was very apparent. Most of their players are excellent puck handlers. I kept waiting for Walker to get a good hard check from the Nanooks, but it didn't happen. For once, I was actually rooting for UA_.
                        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

As an aside, Bruce mentioned on the broadcast that Arizona State will make the trip to Fairbanks next season. Not sure if that was known already.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                            I watched both games on flohockey. The Nanooks did an amazing job of sacrificing the body to block shots, but that can be dangerous. Did one of your players get injured on Friday night? I thought the Nanooks played two strong games, but the skill level of SCSU was very apparent. Most of their players are excellent puck handlers. I kept waiting for Walker to get a good hard check from the Nanooks, but it didn't happen. For once, I was actually rooting for UA_.
                            Staley took a knee to the thigh and went down in the first I think. He skated for a minute or two but then left the bench and didn't return. Van Tetering must have been injured at ASU. Yea, we shouldn't kid ourselves, SCSU is talented and deep. The nice thing about hockey is if you can hang around you always have a chance. When SCSU went up by 2 Saturday night in the middle of the third (2-4), we lost intensity and it soon went to 2-6 on some poor coverage on our part. Our D has to stay focused because scoring won't come easy for us this year even in conference play.

Comment

Well we didn’t lose, which is the best any WCHA team did tonight. But we should have won that game. Getting only shot that really wasn’t even on net in the third period is not the way to keep a lead. But the power play was much improved this weekend, and there were plenty of chances with all the extracurriculars. Martinsson had a strong weekend, just not the best finish tonight. Looking forward to watching the Nanooks get their first win next week at Mankato.

Comment

Originally posted by GoNanooks View Post
                                Well we didn’t lose, which is the best any WCHA team did tonight. But we should have won that game. Getting only shot that really wasn’t even on net in the third period is not the way to keep a lead. But the power play was much improved this weekend, and there were plenty of chances with all the extracurriculars. Martinsson had a strong weekend, just not the best finish tonight. Looking forward to watching the Nanooks get their first win next week at Mankato.
                                I wish this game would have been on flohockey. Sounds like the Nanooks outplayed the Pioneers for most of the game! And it also sounded like DU pulled out a win very late in the third period. Still, it wasn't a loss, so congrats! DU is a tough opponent, especially in their barn, so this is a great sign for Nanook hockey.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X