This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    Ohio State's CJ Regula reportedly has a spinal column injury from last night's boarding.
    Jesus, I hope he makes a full recovery. Was that the Ruder Donovan hit?
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2019-20 Part II: Civil War

My daughter and I had a fun time last night. No one was sitting around us so we commandeered a seat between us for a table and coat rack and spread out and enjoyed our center ice seats. I much prefer that than being sardined. Driving home on an unplowed 151 for an hour at 40 mph not so much, but at least everyone was driving responsibly.

Random thoughts.....

Turcotte needs to sit tonight. 2 boneheaded slashing penalties lead to 2 goals. Slashing is the stupidest penalty to take. He did lose at least a shift to Holloway right after that. He also at time was playing out of control like he was trying to skate himself out of his skates. Clearly he is pressing and frustrated.

Holloway was awesome. In the first period every time he had a shift his line created chances. I was frustrated that TG seemed to be messing with lines after that. That line was working. The 4th line brought energy and physicality, I liked that. Too bad they didn't score on the SH breakaway.

The D wasn't as atrocious as in the past, but they still don't close on puck possessors in the D zone and allowed the OSU guys to do some short pass creative things with the time. The first ppg that was scored the D was oblivious to that there was a player behind them. Zero awareness. And then they allow the pass through the slot past the 2 D and neither got a stick on the pass. One play in the O zone I think it was Emberson who could have got to a puck to hold it in the zone with some + effort but he didn't really try too hard.

There were times in the O zone where they were too passy, too cute, especially in the first 2 periods. The 3rd period being SH for 7 minutes ruined that period. The interference call on Caufield in the 3rd with 3 to go was crap.

Being in the rink with the injury it was interesting to see the how the crowd dealt with being conflicted over the concerns about a very serious injury and yet want to cheer on UW knowing the urgency of the situation on the scoreboard. I was conflicted. I am a loud fan. I almost felt guilty cheering for UW just because it seemed to be a potentially serious injury. It was interesting before the injury UW was being more physical in the 3rd either by design or chance, and Linus got caught up in that and screwed up. I didn't see the play, so I had no idea if it the call was legit or not. Obviously seeing it after it was.

I do think all these reviews are just killing the game. There were 3 reviews last night and all 3 were confirmed as the right call on the ice. I'd rather play with the human error on everything BUT goal scoring situations.

I'd bet Berry starts tonight. TG was hard on the Hammer in the post game. The 2nd goal was BAD. I did not see the 4th goal where he got turned around. He also had some big saves, he was challenged with more quality shots than Nappier was, but goal 2 just can't happen. He's not the biggest problem, the PP sucks, effort is uneven, PK sucks, D zone play isn't where it needs to be, and they don't generate a lot of quality even strength opportunities. I'd come back with the Hammer, I believe in redemption for goalies.

Not scoring on the 5 on 3 was a huge bummer. Caufield did great to draw the 2nd penalty. Got pot one during that sequence.

The faceoffs were decently even until the 3rd period when to bottom fell out and OSU owned them.

So yeah, more of the same as we all had hoped against.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I have to say I find the officials culpable in the kid's injury. There's a difference between letting them play and maintaining safety. Tensions were building all game long and I fell they didn't keep a lid on it.
        Wonder if Piotrowski will have anything to say to his officials?

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
          No Linus. It was a terribly stupid hit and he went head first into the boards. I suspect he will be getting additional suspension from the big7.
          gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
            Linus with a totally unnecessary hit. Regula had moved the puck up the boards already and was a little off balance. It wasn’t a vicious hit, but nothing was to be gained. Regula hit the boards with the crown of his helmet. When he rebounded off the boards Linus took another swipe at his head as he fell. Not in his character; frustrations must be building. That’s not an excuse; the penalty with further suspension is deserved.

Comment

Originally posted by srkbadger
              Linus with a totally unnecessary hit. Regula had already moved the puck back up the boards and was a little off balance. No hit was necessary since the puck was no longer in the area. He hit him from behind for no strategic reason. I wouldn’t call it vicious, but there was nothing to be gained and a lot to be lost; the player hit the boards with the crown of his helmet. I think when he rebounded off the boards Linus took a swipe at his head for good measure. Very unlike him; frustrations must be growing. That’s not an excuse, it was completely avoidable and a suspension is in order.
              No one can hit a player in that position 5 ft. from the boards. Just can't happen, everybody knows it. It wasn't hard, it was a bump, but it just can't happen. Pretty sure the hand swipe was just a reaction of clearing Regula's stick which had come up. We watch these things in slow motion and then try to dissect it and assign intent, etc. , but the whole play happens in half a second.

Just glad Regula is going to be ok.
              Originally posted by WiscTJK
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
              Originally posted by Timothy A
              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

I would trade all the high round draft talent we have for some high character 4 year guys that play team hockey that make the players around them better. We are all thrilled when they make an individual highlight reel move, but they don’t do nearly enough to make their teammates better. If they’re just here to impress scouts and move on to the next level, please move on now. Otherwise, commit to the team and making it better each shift. I’m not a scout of any sort, and there’s a lot of potential out there. However, from what I can see now not one of our superstars has any chance of stepping into the NHL anytime soon if at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

Turcotte needs to sit tonight. 2 boneheaded slashing penalties lead to 2 goals. Slashing is the stupidest penalty to take. He did lose at least a shift to Holloway right after that. He also at time was playing out of control like he was trying to skate himself out of his skates. Clearly he is pressing and frustrated.

I'd bet Berry starts tonight. TG was hard on the Hammer in the post game. The 2nd goal was BAD. I did not see the 4th goal where he got turned around. He also had some big saves, he was challenged with more quality shots than Nappier was, but goal 2 just can't happen. He's not the biggest problem, the PP sucks, effort is uneven, PK sucks, D zone play isn't where it needs to be, and they don't generate a lot of quality even strength opportunities. I'd come back with the Hammer, I believe in redemption for goalies.

Not scoring on the 5 on 3 was a huge bummer. Caufield did great to draw the 2nd penalty. Got pot one during that sequence.

So yeah, more of the same as we all had hoped against.
                  Turcotte had his worse game with the Badgers IMO. The two stupid penalties lead to two goals. He didn’t look sharp on face-offs either.

Emberson is the best defenseman on the team. Always in the right spot and aware. He's a joy to watch work.

Agree pp was terrible.

Tony ripped Lebby in post game for sure.
                  Last edited by WiscTJK; 01-11-2020, 12:11 PM.
                  gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

They say Regula's been released from the hospital so it's not as bad as originally feared!
                    I also wanted to say for my part how much it was appreciated the genuine concern shown by the student's, fans & players while he was down. A number of students were holding hands and looked to be almost in tears.
                    Thank's for showing class for our injured guy!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                      They say Regula's been released from the hospital so it's not as bad as originally feared!
                      I also wanted to say for my part how much it was appreciated the genuine concern shown by the student's, fans & players while he was down. A number of students were holding hands and looked to be almost in tears.
                      Thank's for showing class for our injured guy!
                      Glad to hear he’s probably okay.

The n the plus side for your team: you guys keep beating the recruits we’ve poached from you. A much better team than ours.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Just one game.

https://***********/toddmilewski/sta...722756610?s=21

I guess that’s right. The hit was careless more than malicious in my book, so I’m okay with it maybe being too light of a suspension. But added time was just.
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                          Turcotte had his worse game with the Badgers IMO. The two stupid penalties lead to two goals. He didn’t look sharp on face-offs either.

Emberson is the best defenseman on the team. Always in the right spot and aware. He's a joy to watch work.

Agree pp was terrible.

Tony ripped Lebby in post game for sure.
                          I watched the USA WJ games and I thought Emberson was one of the 2-3 best players on the team with the way he performed there. (I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that opinion.) Everyone has mistakes, including Ty, and every Badger player mistake is probably amplified in our minds because they are losing, but I think Emberson is by far the best player on this team in terms of how he plays every shift, every night. I don't know that much about his personality other than what I've gathered watching him play quite a bit since he was 15 and seeing a lot of interviews etc. since then, but I really felt he should have been wearing a letter on his jersey this year. He plays the same high-end game whether we're up 3, down 3, or tied -- he's just the same. That's something that obviously has been sorely lacking here for awhile.

I thought Caufield was much better in his own zone, and without the puck last night which was good to see.

No getting around the fact that The Hammer was pretty bad on a couple of those goals. I thought he handled the puck with his stick much better and made better decisions with the puck, which has been an issue for him at times, so that was something.

Turcotte just seems to be struggling a lot of the time. Wasn't great at the WJ's, wasn't great much of the last dozen games. A lot of talk about how much pressure he puts on himself to perform. He's so gifted. It seems like he just needs to slow down the rush to the NHL and play hockey here for awhile and give himself a break. I thought coming in that Holloway would be the guy to struggle making the jump a little, but he's looked completely at home after the first half dozen games.

One thing that happens with these top NTDP guys is that as soon as a couple of them make the NHL, the rest of them all feel like they have to go there right now too. I think Frederic left in part for that reason and it certainly wouldn't have hurt him to stick around another year.
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                            Just one game.

https://***********/toddmilewski/sta...722756610?s=21

I guess that’s right. The hit was careless more than malicious in my book, so I’m okay with it maybe being too light of a suspension. But added time was just.
                            I'd say it was perhaps even accidental... careless, is probably a good description, though. I think a game is right, because it's important to send a message about being in control when players are in vulnerable and dangerous positions. No way there was any intention on Linus' part, I mean he doesn't hit anybody, ever.
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                              I'd say it was perhaps even accidental... careless, is probably a good description, though. I think a game is right, because it's important to send a message about being in control when players are in vulnerable and dangerous positions. No way there was any intention on Linus' part, I mean he doesn't hit anybody, ever.
                              Unfortunately, that last part is actually why I disagree. I think there was intention via frustration. I agree that you can’t over-analyze actions in slow motion vs. real speed, but one thing that was clear on the replays was the look of joy Linus had on his face as he looked down and saw the player he hit on the ice. I know it was in the moment, and I really hate to make that assertion, but there seemed to be no regret on his face in real time as he headed to the box at the arena and again rewatching on tv when I got home. Really disappointing.

I also think Turcotte could benefit from being benched for a game or two. If the coaches want to show they want to build a team-first attitude, then they need to demonstrate that no one is bigger than the team, even with a high draft pick next to their name. Plus, at this point in the season where wins are likely only going to shore up momentum for next season, not actually get us into the tournament, we need to start looking toward actually building a team atmosphere for next season and start looking past the hot shots who seem to have already started looking past the Badgers. Honestly, I’d have both Brock Caufield and Dominick Mersch playing in every game here on out, because they’ll both actually be here leading the team the next two seasons.

One other point of kudos - During the injury, I want to celebrate Dhooghe and Baker for leading the Badgers in taking a knee in front of the bench and being reverent to the situation. I was slightly disappointed that Kalynuk didn’t join them there, but most of the team followed suit. If Emberson doesn’t leave this year, I could see him with an A and Baker and Dhooghe in co-C’s next season treating us well.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

The n the plus side for your team: you guys keep beating the recruits we’ve poached from you. A much better team than ours.
                                The jury's out for me on how good OSU is this season. Personally I thought the previous two seasons we were better but thank God Rholik put Killer Miller back in charge of the PK which is his specialty.
                                Last season Rhols ran both the PP & PK and it was atrocious! I just wish he'd give Killler the PP again as well. Rhols is a great coach and my biggest fear is you'll poach him from us as his roots with your program run deep but Miller is the better specialty coach.

Comment

Working...
                                X