X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Hockey: Treading Water or Trending Upward

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
    Yes It was great to see Filip score again. He is looking very comfortable now and I think we are in for a treat with his playing. Yesterday I thought i submitted a post on our goal keeping but , walla it didn't appear. In summary, and to my points on TT, man he showed me stuff we have not seen. He is a very straight up guy who has often had trouble with his rebounds and often just falls on the puck to get a whistle. He does not look relaxed or comfortable but has given us several of our victories. Last night he played very well, making some very good saves and demonstrated better control of his rebouts. I was very excited when is coming was announced and thought we had stolen a late developer (best in BCHL before coming in) and then he just didn't seem confident or consistent. Perhaps he just needs the ice time to build both and I too hope he gets the nod for tonight to keep him hot.
    Remember earlier this year in the first 6-8 games when much our scoring was on the PP! There was talk of needing to get better 5 on 5. Now we need to balance those 2 back to a better level
    Go Cats!.
    P.S. The last Brown game I believe was at Brown 4/5 years ago. Ref, I believe that you were there. We jumped out to a tremendous lead - 5 goals or so and then the "Stats Night" mentality took over and everyone wanted a goal and our game went south fast. I believe we won 7-5 but were fortunate. I'm for the 7 goals but let's not let them back in.
    Go Cats!

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
      P.S. The last Brown game I believe was at Brown 4/5 years ago. Ref, I believe that you were there. We jumped out to a tremendous lead - 5 goals or so and then the "Stats Night" mentality took over and everyone wanted a goal and our game went south fast. I believe we won 7-5 but were fortunate. I'm for the 7 goals but let's not let them back in.
      Go Cats!
      Oh yes, in checking the archives I see we tied them 4-4 in one game (17/18) beat them 7-4 there (I went to that game) so I'm hoping UNH puts in a full 60 on both ends of the ice! Go 'Cats!!
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        Out of luck tonight, the usual stuff takes over. Hopefully another W against a very beatable opponent. And yes, Snives is on the list of folks to whom I still owe a beer (or two) - e.cat too, and one or two others. We'll go on the honor system, so if you've got one coming, I'll eventually catch up with y'all. Ideally, a trip to the HE Semis in Boston would be a great time to make it happen.
        Sounds like a plan, Chuck. One beer at da Garden will be fine, as they are wicked expensive there, more than the price of a sixpack on the outside. :-)

But, hey, is it really true that Crookshank's goal was the fastest to open a game in UNH history? Hard to believe, after seeing Sean Collins, Darren Haydar, Colin Hemingway, and others score on the opening FOW.

FOW's rule, of course. :-)

Comment

Taylor gets.the nod tonight! Go 'Cats!!
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            Taylor gets.the nod tonight! Go 'Cats!!
            Woo hoo; let's go 5-0, TT!

More than a skeleton crew for band tonight; all right! :-)
            Last edited by Snively65; 01-05-2020, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Depth scoring, Dan!

Comment

• Annnddd that's 2 for Eric MacAdams!!! Go'Cats!!
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  Woo hoo; let's go 6-0, TT!

More than a skeleton crew for band tonight; all right! :-)
                  Hey connect during the second...
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

I think that TT has played great in net so far tonight, with 6 minutes left.

And, with less than 2 minutes left, McAdams puts himself out of contention for a hat trick.
                    Last edited by Snively65; 01-04-2020, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                      I think that TT has played great in net so far tonight, with 6 minutes left.

And, with less than 2 minutes left, McAdams puts himself out of contention for a hat trick.
                      Way to go 'Cats 4 points on the weekend 9 goals scored. Mac Adams has a decent weekend as well as Patrick Grasso amd Eric Esposito in a multiple point weekend. Hats off to Ty Taylor great weekend!!

Onto the HE season bring on those Huskies! let's go 'Cats!!!
                      Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-04-2020, 11:25 PM.
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

We jumped 9 places in the PWR over the weekend, which was a big surprise to me, these two opponents having such low PWR rankings and all.

But, more on Ty Taylor. I think that he squared up well, stood on his feet (no flopping around), made some nice scissor pad (five hole) saves, flashed the glove for some saves, and played well a couple pucks behind his net. Hope that he earned some more starts after this weekend. I would like to see a tandem pair of goal tenders the remainder of season.
                        Last edited by Snively65; 01-04-2020, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                          But, more on Ty Taylor. I think that he squared up well, stood on his feet (no flopping around), made some nice scissor pad (five hole) saves, flashed the glove for some saves, and played well a couple pucks behind his net. Hope that he earned some more starts after this weekend. I would like to see a tandem pair of goal tenders the remainder of season.
                          I think the weekend played out as well as possible for UNH, especially with Taylor's performance in back-to-back starts (and kudos to MS7 for approaching the situation in a fresh way that his predecessor would likely never have considered). One weekend does not a career make, but I do think we all now have a lot more information and insight into what Taylor might be capable of in the long run here at UNH. Hopefully we'll look back at this weekend - and maybe the first five minutes on Friday night - as the point where TT proved to himself, his teammates, his coaches, and the fans that he's going to be part of the plan for the next few years.

I still would like to see UNH getting the "next guy" after Taylor into one of 'Watcher's future projection grids sooner rather than later. But with Robinson and Taylor both seemingly reliable enough guys, some of the more panicked projections I was talking about a few days ago likely will prove premature (and thank goodness for that).

For what it's worth, after this weekend, Taylor's save percentage jumped up to a respectable .912, and his goals against average ticks down to just under 2.00, which are both better (for now) than Robinson's .899 and 2.56 figures. Both netminders have won five games apiece. But for perspective, with TT's still-low sample size of only the 5 games, a bad outing next weekend against a strong Northeastern team could see both of his key figures slip back down to (or below) Robinson's modest figures to date.

If we're still looking for answers, I guess I'd be tempted to put Taylor back out there one more time next weekend to see how he holds up against Northeastern. IIRC (and I could be wrong), but this is a team that UNH in general - and Robinson by extension - has struggled against of late. If TT goes out and struggles with them next weekend too, oh well. But maybe he surprises us and plays well. There has to be some level of growing confidence, both with the player, and with his teammates playing in front of him. If there's a setback … well, maybe we're making too much of consecutive wins against low-level Ivy/ECAC opposition … and that's definitely a real possibility here.

At the other end, UNH has now scored at least four goals in each of the three games after the break. There seems to be some emerging depth scoring beginning to emerge on a more consistent basis. More good news. But if nothing else, the two wins this weekend injects some needed optimism after a somewhat disappointing stretch on either side of the break. Hopefully that will translate into a better-than-projected run of results as the HE regular season slate beckons. More answers to follow, and soon.
                          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            I think the weekend played out as well as possible for UNH, especially with Taylor's performance in back-to-back starts (and kudos to MS7 for approaching the situation in a fresh way that his predecessor would likely never have considered). One weekend does not a career make, but I do think we all now have a lot more information and insight into what Taylor might be capable of in the long run here at UNH. Hopefully we'll look back at this weekend - and maybe the first five minutes on Friday night - as the point where TT proved to himself, his teammates, his coaches, and the fans that he's going to be part of the plan for the next few years.

I still would like to see UNH getting the "next guy" after Taylor into one of 'Watcher's future projection grids sooner rather than later. But with Robinson and Taylor both seemingly reliable enough guys, some of the more panicked projections I was talking about a few days ago likely will prove premature (and thank goodness for that).

For what it's worth, after this weekend, Taylor's save percentage jumped up to a respectable .912, and his goals against average ticks down to just under 2.00, which are both better (for now) than Robinson's .899 and 2.56 figures. Both netminders have won five games apiece. But for perspective, with TT's still-low sample size of only the 5 games, a bad outing next weekend against a strong Northeastern team could see both of his key figures slip back down to (or below) Robinson's modest figures to date.

If we're still looking for answers, I guess I'd be tempted to put Taylor back out there one more time next weekend to see how he holds up against Northeastern. IIRC (and I could be wrong), but this is a team that UNH in general - and Robinson by extension - has struggled against of late. If TT goes out and struggles with them next weekend too, oh well. But maybe he surprises us and plays well. There has to be some level of growing confidence, both with the player, and with his teammates playing in front of him. If there's a setback … well, maybe we're making too much of consecutive wins against low-level Ivy/ECAC opposition … and that's definitely a real possibility here.

At the other end, UNH has now scored at least four goals in each of the three games after the break. There seems to be some emerging depth scoring beginning to emerge on a more consistent basis. More good news. But if nothing else, the two wins this weekend injects some needed optimism after a somewhat disappointing stretch on either side of the break. Hopefully that will translate into a better-than-projected run of results as the HE regular season slate beckons. More answers to follow, and soon.
                            Oops, I had to fix my earlier mistake, TT was going for his fifth not sixth W against the Brown Bears last night.

MR: "Hey, coach, you gave TT all the cupcakes."

MS7: "I gave you Bentley and Army, my son."

MR: "Noooooo! Those AHA teams are not cupcakes."

:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              ...I guess I'd be tempted to put Taylor back out there one more time next weekend to see how he holds up against Northeastern...
                              Almost have to after his play this weekend, right? Unfortunately there is only one game next weekend, so Robinson's next start wouldn't be for two weeks.
                              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

There are 60 NCAA Division 1 men's ice hockey teams.

Team Offense: Yale: 43, Brown: 60, Army: 41, UNH: 28

Team Defense: Yale: 51, Brown: 40. Army: 14, UNH: 26

Not really fair because teams do not play the same schedules/opponents, but... Surrendering 2 goals this weekend is not surprising, but still excellent. Scoring 13 in the last three games is excellent and a little surprising given Army's 14 ranking. Counter that with surrendering 5 to Army.

The next three weeks are a major reality check:

NU (12/16)
                                PRO (9/17)
                                UMA (7/8)
                                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Working...
                                X